"New Posts" vs" Todays Posts"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New Posts" vs" Todays Posts"

What is the difference between these two? Intuitively I would imagine that one is a subset of the other, so "New Posts" would contain "Todays Posts" when I first login. Todays Posts would be limited to "Today" where as "New Posts" would contain new posts from the last time I logged in. However, "Todays Posts" is always longer than "New Posts"...
    Sr. Software Development Engineer and Sr. Information Security Analyst,
    CEH, Digital Forensic Examiner

Apparently New Posts are the ones which you haven't read yet. I found that confusing! A better title than "New Posts" would be helpful, but once you know, you know.

Comment

"New Posts", "Today's Posts", and "Activity Stream" are the result of database queries. Today's Post and Activity Stream are default vBulletin queries that I have not modified. I had to borrow/modify New Posts from another forum in order to replicate the popular functionality of the old (pre-2016) PB forums. You can pretty much tell what they are doing by looking at the URLs. Line breaks added, and for some reason vBulletin requires the double-quote character to be escaped as %22.

search?searchJSON={"view":"topic","unread_only":1, "sort":{"lastcontent":"desc"},
      "exclude":"45","exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage"],"date":"lastVisit"}

Today's Posts:
      search?searchJSON={"view":"topic","unread_only":1, "sort":{"lastcontent":"desc"},
      "exclude":"45","exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage"]}

It looks like the only (current) difference is that New Posts ends with your last forum visit, and Today's Posts goes backward indefinitely. Exclude 45 ignores the Test Forums.

Activity Stream:
      search?searchJSON={"date":{"from":"2"},"sort":{"created":"desc"},"view":"",
      "exclude":"45","exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage"]}

If you want to design your own query -- or develop and suggest replacements for New/Today -- the syntax is here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/artic...he-search-json
      "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Oh, and I can also add new links to the Nav Bar, if useful queries other then Today/New are suggested.

Comment

I've settled on "Activity stream" as my preferred way to access the forum but I just looked at "Today's posts" and I get a totally different list!

Comment

I have added Activity Stream to my post above.

Comment

Another forum which I follow regularly uses an older version of VBulletin: "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1".
              When I click on New Posts I see all posts that are not marked as "Read by me", no matter how old they are or when I last logged in. When that list gets a bit long because there are certain threads I don't want to follow (which remain "unread"), I can click on "Mark Forums Read" to set everything as "Read" . Next time I hit New Posts, I see everything posted since then. It's my standard way of using that forum.
              --
              [URL="http://www.camcopng.com"]CAMCo - Applications Development & ICT Consultancy[/URL][URL="http://www.hostingpng.com"]
              PNG Domain Hosting[/URL]

Comment

Another alternative is an RSS Feed.

https://forum.powerbasic.com/forum/-...-now-available

I'm using it with Microsoft Outlook, and new forums posts appear just like "unread emails". Each RSS message contains a link to the original post, if I want to respond.

Comment

The "New Posts" link has insofar an issue, that if you browse to the forum, but then for whatever reason don't "immediately" (haven't measured the actual time) click the "New Posts" link, posts you haven't actually viewed/visited nonetheless become marked as "not new anymore".

There seem to be some kind of timeout/refresh taking place in the background, which - although no activity happens, resets the "last visited" time stamp of a user.

Comment

Working...
                  X