Dir Function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code:
    DECLARE FUNCTION MessageBoxTimeoutA LIB "user32.dll" ALIAS "MessageBoxTimeoutA" (BYVAL hWnd AS DWORD, lpText AS ASCIIZ, _
    lpCaption AS ASCIIZ, BYVAL uType AS DWORD, BYVAL wLanguageID AS WORD, BYVAL dwMilliseconds AS DWORD) AS LONG

FUNCTION PBMAIN( ) AS LONG
     LOCAL zText, zCaption AS ASCIIZ * 255
     LOCAL uType, dwMilliseconds AS DWORD
     zCaption = "by David Roberts"
     zText    = "Will this do, Jim?"
     dwMilliseconds = 3000
     uType = %MB_OK OR %MB_SYSTEMMODAL OR %MB_ICONQUESTION
     MessageBoxTimeoutA 0, ztext, zCaption, uType, 0, dwMilliseconds
    END FUNCTION
    https://duckduckgo.com instead of google

Comment

My FLASH_NOTE_FOR_SECONDS routine produces a user notification message on a dedicated app textbox. No need for a popup MessageBox. Since it calls a Thread Function you can fire and forget it and it does not slow down the main routine that much. When the Thread completes it calls SHOW_A_GENERIC_MESSAGE which are built-in messages for the System Status and only presents a message to the textbox if there is some status that needs to be displayed. So what you have is a system status message displayed initially. A flash message happens for a short period. Then the System Status message reappears. Very ingenious. I'd say. But that is:

Other methods I use are FIFO buffers especially for communications routines. FIFO buffers in my case are simply global dynamic strings. Why act on a received message immediately when you can drop it in a FIFO buffer and let the Thread based message interpreter act on the messages and carry them out in sequence.

Comment

What have Threads,Globals and Popup Message boxes got to do with Online Help for the DIR$ function?

Comment

Stuart,
          If you took a minute to read my comments then you would know my point was to say that DIR$ could be made thread-safe. Note to Adam.

Comment

hutch at movsd dot com
            The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Working...
            X