Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former user and beta tester saying hello!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former user and beta tester saying hello!

Hi all,
    I'm impressed! My login info from the last time I logged in was still valid! I think the last time I was here was February 2004.

While I no longer program for a living, I wanted to say thank you to everyone that uses PowerBasic. May it live on.

I used Turbo Basic and then was a user and BETA tester for PowerBasic back in the 80's and 90's. It was amazing how far ahead Bob was with the capabilities of PowerBasic, the small footprint (is the BLOAT compiler directive still around?) and the incredible speed of functions... the array commands just blew everyone else out of the water. The programming I did with LED signs with protocol conversions just wouldn't have been possible back then without TB/PB. Believe me, I tried several languages and only PB was fast enough. The time between Borland stopping its development/publishing of Turbo Basic and then Bob buying the rights back was tough to live through as a programmer - we were orphaned there for a while with no good alternative.

I'm sorry to hear that Bob passed back in 2012. A truly talented man. I used to speak to and message via CompuServ and/or BBS with Lloyd Smith, tech support - lived in Florida. Lloyd, if you're still around - Hi!

Adam, glad to hear you have PowerBasic now. I hope that it is a profitable venture for you and that PB will live on.

Best wishes to all!

Hmmm... I wonder if I have an old manual or disk somewhere...

Jim Zarifis
    https://linkedin.com/in/zarifis
Working...
X