X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome & Congratulations!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by JR Spikowski View Post
      The transition from the desktop to a web browser based cloud is more of a concern for developers then the Windows 32 vs. 64 bit debate.
      I think so too.
      Fredrick Ughimi
      www.meganetsoft.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JR Spikowski View Post
        The transition from the desktop to a web browser based cloud is more of a concern for developers then the Windows 32 vs. 64 bit debate.
        My take on this is that it's both a concern for (desktop) developers and their guilt. (I need to add that I'd switch the emphasis to "web browser based" cloud, see below for as to why)

"To the web" seems to be the battle cry everyone is yelling. Without considering if it makes sense for the application. Here's a hint: web applications work for consuming data, i.e. reports.But they're a great PITA for producing anything. From my own terrible user experience, I'd enact a universal law, requiring that those who turn their desktop applications into web applications must under any circumstance exclusively use the web-based version of their software, so that they can feel the pain themselves. Failing to do so will result in immediate extermination. (I'm looking at you, Office 365 developers ...)

Simple rule of thumb: if an applications is used more than ~ 15 minutes a day, turning it into a web application reduces productivity.

The cloud itself isn't the problem, IMHO. It's just a bull**** bingo fitting buzzword for the server part in what's known as client/server architecture for decades. It does provide improvements, i.e. greater flexibility, over running the iron(s) yourself, but - as the AWS outage a few days ago has demonstrated, it also has drawbacks, if used incorrectly.
        Last edited by Adam J. Drake; 4 Mar 2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• As a turbobasic user through to PB10 My thanks to Vivian and all the folks (gary, Eric etc.) keeping PB alive and kicking and now there is a future to look forward to. I'll not put any requests, just leave to the new owners to surprise and delight us.
          Alan
          http://www.allthingsspiny.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Anne Wilson View Post
            Thank you Phil, we really do need a new 64bit compiler. It does not matter if the new compiler can only do the minimum code like dialogs and arrays.
            After more than a few million lines of PowerBasic coding, it would be an arduous task for us to convert these code to another language.
            I second this motion.

Comment

• That's right, 64bit is the only way forward for PB

Comment

• Creating and maintaining a professional compiler is probably one of the most complex computing task. It's not a one day job. Bob Zale spent most of his life writing and refining his compiler. I hope there will be a future for his fabulous compiler. There are so many talented programmers all over the word. I hope that "Drake software" will find the right people to maintain and update this exceptional piece of software. My best wishes to the new owner.
                Jean-Pierre LEROY

Comment

Working...
                X