Is it just me or is the website down?

I need to download my stuff (again)

Thanks!
    Kris
    All that runs automatically,
    can fail automatically...

No, it is not. Try a different browser for
    https://www.powerbasic.com/

((for me I can browse the forum (https://forum.powerbasic.com) with IE; but the main site (https://www.powerbasic.com) acts like it is down. With Chrome the main site works just fine. (I suspect IE's certificates are too old for the main site))))

Good luck getting new copies of PB. (Have you still got the the serial numbers? That will help verify you are a customer.

Cheers,
    Dale

Comment

There's a current thread in the opt-in Cafe Vivian forum... Yes, the main PowerBASIC web site cannot currently be accessed in some countries. I have alerted the Admins.
      "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

<quote>There's a current thread in the opt-in Cafe Vivian forum</quote>
        How do I get there???
        All that runs automatically,
        can fail automatically...

Comment

Originally posted by Kris ten Hoedt View Post
          How do I get there???
          Click here.

„Let the machine do the dirty work.“
          The Elements of Programming Style, Brian W. Kernighan, P. J. Plauger 1978

Comment

Kris,

Side info. Forum tags use square brackets, not "<" and ">". The forum software then creates html tags as needed.

Or use the underlined "A" icon to open the reply menu. The icons there have popup lalels on mouse-over.

Cheers,
            Dale

Comment

Kris, the Cafe Vivian and Back Room "social" forums are opt-in, so you may not be able to follow Albert's link. There used to be a page that explains it, but I can't find it. If you don't already have access, simply send a Private Message to the forum Administrator Adam Drake and ask him to change your Registration.

Comment

Or just make them public forums. I thought 'safe spaces' were a thing the SJW generation and their fragile egos needed, not pensioners

Comment

There's a long history.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pearson View Post
                    There used to be a page that explains it, but I can't find it.
                    Here it is.

„Let the machine do the dirty work.“
                    The Elements of Programming Style, Brian W. Kernighan, P. J. Plauger 1978

Comment

Hi - it is now the 3rd July and I still can't connect to https://www.powerbasic.com with Firefox or Chrome
                      I get Secure connection failed with Firefox and even less with Chrome
                      I can't see the discussion in the Cafe Vivian and when I try to send a PM to Membership to get access, I get the message you are not logged in or do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Could someone please explain or give me access so I can read it
                      Thanks

P.S. Even though I had logged in and it said I was logged in at the top of the screen with my name present, when I posted this reply it asked for my password again and so I then tried the PM to membership again, and it worked this time.

But I would still like to know what is happening - Thanks

Comment

Website is down for me too (UK).

Comment

it's working for me (USA)
                          as the salmon fish is compelled to go back to it's birthplace to spawn, so comes a day when man is compelled to go back to it's source.. GOD

Comment

It works for me if I route through a VPN (which comes out in the USA).

So, I suspect foul play on behalf of my ISP - doesn't surprise me - I suspect that they are gradually imposing censorship on our web access site by site...

Comment

http://www.powerbasic.com/ is down for me in Sweden.
                              But not https://forum.powerbasic.com/
                              /Fim W.
                              Fim Wästberg

Comment

Originally posted by Robin England View Post
                                It works for me if I route through a VPN (which comes out in the USA).

So, I suspect foul play on behalf of my ISP - doesn't surprise me - I suspect that they are gradually imposing censorship on our web access site by site...
                                Some months ago, I had a similar problem. Most web sites were OK, but PowerBASIC.com (and the forums) would not load. When I enabled the VPN that is bundled with my AV (kaspersky), or when I used Opera in VPN mode, the sites worked. At the time, I was using a Sophos home edition router. A few weeks later, I took out the Sophos router and put in a commodity WiFi router, and suddenly the sites worked without the VPN. I suspect it has something to do with the SSL certificates associated with the web site, but I'm not expert enough on such things to say for sure.
                                Last edited by Bud Durland; 3 Jul 2018, 06:28 PM. Reason: Fixed link
                                Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand

Comment

The site is apparently down to all of the EU due to the owners take on the GDPR regulations. It is accessible from countries outside the EU, or of course from within the EU if you use a VPN that is outside the EU. I'm sure we all appreciate privacy concerns but I don't think this is what was really intended by the GDPR. All I think it really needs is a published privacy policy and of course all the normal safeguards that anyone would normally take.

Comment

If this is true, then the owners really don't understand GDPR. Also, I would think that the forums are even more suscectible to GDPR. I can reach those, (even using https), but I cannot get to the homepage (HTTP: down, HTTPS: certificate error). Is Drake Enterprises doing so well they don't need the business from Europe anymore?
                                    It Ain't Much, if it ain't Dutch

Comment

John. I don't think you understand full what has happened.
                                      This EU blocking thingy problem was something your EU people caused to be direct about it.
                                      I like Powerbasic never heard of it approaching.
                                      The same way with TLS 1.2 https encryption that kicked me recently.
                                      Some of these things take time to resolve.
                                      I personally think US blocking all traffic to EU would resolve this almost over night with EU making big changes.
                                      I am positive Powerbasic dislikes the situation just as much you do.
                                      I dislike government metaling into things they have no business even doing.
                                      I feel this EU oversite is akin to Korea, China and other countries behavior even if it is by a group of countries.
                                      Either your for free enterprise or not. There is not room to stand on s fence.
                                      John if your upset. I think you should be upset with EU and not the small guys that are trying to make a living. There is no doubt that big businesses are at play here in trying to monopolize earnings. That is clear to me.
                                      p purvis

Comment

This link is interesting:

https://www.androidheadlines.com/201...ompliance.html

After reading that, I will be refusing all orders from the EU and I will block EU IPs (if my host allows for it). Truly seems to be the ONLY solution that is guaranteed to be FULLY compliant.

If people want privacy, they should not be using the internet. Laws passed by bureaucrats who have no idea how the internet works, only makes matters worse and hurts commerce. Businesses have more difficulty selling and customers have more difficulty buying. The only people who make out are the bureaucrats who are being paid by lobbyists to pass legislation.

Is Drake Enterprises doing so well they don't need the business from Europe anymore?
                                        With the exception of the newly acquired PB, they probably do not market software to the EU based on the software titles on their site.

It is difficult for USA based companies, because we simply do not keep up with laws in countries in which we are not based in. We have a hard enough time keeping up with our Federal laws and the laws of the state we are based in. In the very near future, as states change their tax laws, we will likely have to abide by tax laws of every state for customers living in that state, whether we are based in that state or not (which could put an end to many small businesses in the USA).

GDPR is a very good thing for the citizens of the EU. But, whether it applies to American companies who are based in America, is the question. But nobody wants to be the "test case" and end up having to get International lawyers in order to defend themselves in a foreign court. That alone would bankrupt most small companies. So, sadly, it is easier to block EU IPs until everything gets figured out.

Reversing the situation, as a resident of the USA, when I make an International transaction, I am not arrogant enough to expect a foreign company to abide by our laws here in the USA. If I have a problem with that foreign company, I would contact the appropriate consumer protection bureau in their country. It would do no good for me to contact a consumer protection bureau here in the USA as they have no legal jurisdiction over other countries.

Most software I purchase is from foreign small companies/indie developers. Even in the 90s, when I outsourced a lot of my contract programming work, I was using a Russian firm. For me, the foreign companies tend to have the type of software I want to use.

Global commerce is here to stay and that is a good thing, IMHO. However, global regulation will simply never work when there is no global government. What that will result in, is companies pulling back and only serving customers located in their own country. Things had been working fairly well. Unfortunately, the need for GDPR has come about because of the sheer monopolistic abuse by global companies like Facebook, Google, etc. who have zero respect for their users/customers.

I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

Working...
                                        X