What is this EU privacy law GDPR ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuth,

I think the financial burden on Germany is a two edged sword, with so many poverty stricken countries attached the the EU, it drop the exchange rate with the Euro which is very good for the manufacturing sector in Germany but at the cost of further impoverishing EU countries that do not have Germany's industrialised infrastructure. Countries like Greece and Spain have entirely different economies and shoe horning them into a common currency has seriously damaged their economies. The ever increasing demands for more austerity just further destroys their economies and it is a structural defect in having a common currency that is trying to address both the manufacturing of Germany and the tourist industry in Greece.

Only structural change will fix this and I doubt that Brussels are all that keen to change anything as the current situation serves a global elite who don't want changes.
    hutch at movsd dot com
    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

• What are the ramifications of using the first and last name on forums where their first and last name show up along with their picture? Does this violate any term of the GDPR? I have a forum that currently employs this and am wondering if I need to do anything. This forum also implements this as well. I also have many EU members that download my free software. Is this a problem too?
      Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called SatTracker

Comment

• Simple Machines Forum is working to help to make the forums that use its software GDPR compliant.
        See: https://www.simplemachines.org/commu...topic=560645.0
        Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

• Thank you for that Jose. I do appreciate the time you spent helping me with this.
          Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called SatTracker

Comment

• One thing that comes to mind and has not been discussed, is it GDPR compliant to use a customer's name as part of the product registration info? Like:

FirstNameLastName

Originally posted by John Eccles View Post
            What are the ramifications of using the first and last name on forums where their first and last name show up along with their picture? Does this violate any term of the GDPR? I have a forum that currently employs this and am wondering if I need to do anything. This forum also implements this as well. I also have many EU members that download my free software. Is this a problem too?
            I have been online since 1980. I never allow real names on any forums I run. I never have and never will. There is simply no point to it. Real names should be left to services like Facebook whose sole purpose is gathering marketable data on you and your connections and activities while logged in (and even not logged in) to their service. Real names have always been a privacy issue for forums and social media services. It is no different than having to hand your drivers license or other ID card to a store you enter before you are allowed to browse or shop there. Real names are only needed for purchases and even then they are not needed for cash purchases that have no physical delivery that needs to be shipped.

Per GDPR rules, forums must provide a way for a user to not only delete their account, but when they do, all posts and such also must be deleted. Legit forum software has provided those features for many, many years. It is also probably best to do a new backup after a user deletes everything, as then your backup will be GDPR compliant and not contain the info the user wanted removed.
            I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

• If you allow them to delete his posts it will create holes and if there are replies to them they won't make sense, destroying the thread. Anonymizing their posts looks like a better solution.
              Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

• Originally posted by José Roca View Post
                If you allow them to delete his posts it will create holes and if there are replies to them they won't make sense, destroying the thread. Anonymizing their posts looks like a better solution.
                Agree 100%. Basic rule of forums. Don't post anything you are not prepared to be publicly available for ever. It shouldn't be up to the forum owners to subsequently deal with your stupidity, No one forces you to post something in return for a service.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuart McLachlan View Post

Agree 100%. Basic rule of forums. Don't post anything you are not prepared to be publicly available for ever. It shouldn't be up to the forum owners to subsequently deal with your stupidity, No one forces you to post something in return for a service.
                  The right to be forgotten clause of the GDPR is clear. Anonymizing the posts may skirt the law, but if you are in the EU, it is best to actually abide by the law.
                  I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

• "The right to be forgotten" is the most ridiculous concept I have every come across.

Are you going to wipe the memory of everyone who has ever read one of your posts?

Are you going to wipe the memory of everyone you have ever met?

Are you going to wipe the archives of every place something has been written about you in you life?

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interrèd with their bones."

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Hutchesson View Post
                      Knuth,

I think the financial burden on Germany is a two edged sword, with so many poverty stricken countries attached the the EU, it drop the exchange rate with the Euro which is very good for the manufacturing sector in Germany but at the cost of further impoverishing EU countries that do not have Germany's industrialised infrastructure. Countries like Greece and Spain have entirely different economies and shoe horning them into a common currency has seriously damaged their economies. The ever increasing demands for more austerity just further destroys their economies and it is a structural defect in having a common currency that is trying to address both the manufacturing of Germany and the tourist industry in Greece.

Only structural change will fix this and I doubt that Brussels are all that keen to change anything as the current situation serves a global elite who don't want changes.
                      Fully agreed about the economic part, re-reading my previous post, I haven't made that clear, I guess.

Not so with your closing sentence. Again: it's not "Brussels", except if you meant it as "Brussels = the sum of all of our goverments". And yes, the impression over the past two decades is that regardless of what the people want/need (implying for a moment that these demands are somewhat sane), no one cares. And Turmp, Brexit, AfD, LePen et al are just manifestations of that.

Comment

Are you going to wipe the memory of everyone who has ever read one of your posts?

Are you going to wipe the archives of every place something has been written about you in you life?
                        Shhhh! Don't give the EU any ideas.

Comment

"The right to be forgotten" is the most ridiculous concept I have every come across.

Trust me, as a citizen of a country which gave birth to the worst regime to ever exist on earth: they love data. It makes it pleasantly easy to get hold of the opponents*). Just because your current government appears to be halfway sane, that might or might not be true for future regimes. Look no further than the U.S.

*) Trivia: the first time biometric identification features were introduced in Germany was back in 1939. Pictures in passports can be vague, finger prints are not, therefore identifying "enemies of the state" was much easier and less error-prone than before.

Comment

Working...
                          X