This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to MCM?

Anyone know why he is not posting any more? Just asking as for some reason I miss the odd forked tongue comment and probably because while he was around I would think that I am too young to be part of the "Old farts" group

His profile says:

Inactive Member
    Last Activity: 22 Aug 2018, 07:26 AM

Comment

Come back MCM

All is forgiven (well, nearly all)
      [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
      Kerry Farmer

Comment

I have always appreciated MCM.
        MCM has always treated me well and been very helpful.
        I can tell you. The people that don't seem to like me much are lazy doers. I am not saying we have that here but let's face it. When you have great skills in a certain area and a lot of experience. We don't always see the one with the opposite with much grace, specially as we age. A lot of you also live where it can be cold much of the year. One man this year told me to live in that environment like he had much of his life said. You have to embrace the cold or it will drive you nuts.
        I really try to give a wide girth to people in those cold areas during their winter time.
        p purvis

Comment

I have been in touch

MCM has been unwell but is better now

Yes, he definitely has left us.

This Forum is weaker now MCM is no longer involved.

I always appreciated and admired his volumes of input and his wide knowledge of programming in general and PB in particular. I was challenged by him on a number of occasions (even severely challenged) but I was never offended or negatively affected.

Thank you Michael - go well my friend

Kerry
          [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
          Kerry Farmer

Comment

Glad to hear he's well again. He is missed.
            Rod
            "To every unsung hero in the universe
            To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
            To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

Thanks MCM for the great effort you have made (so far) to help us with your great knowledge.

Comment

I am glad to hear that. I actually looked to see if he made the newspapers in a bad way. I am glad to see this but I was hoping he was not ill.
                p purvis

Comment

I did write to MCM to get more details and he has been banned from the forums, hence he is not seen here.
                  Prompted by your note, I tried again today to log in. I got this message:
                  "You have been permanently banned by Adam J. Drake for the following reason:
                  Trolling - and other repeated pushes of boundaries of rules and guidelines. Informed leeway was gone a month ago.."
                  A real shame!

Comment

Not sure if I'm qualified to comment as I'm only an occasional visitor these days, but..

Originally posted by Paul Purvis View Post
                    A lot of you also live where it can be cold much of the year. One man this year told me to live in that environment like he had much of his life said. You have to embrace the cold or it will drive you nuts. I really try to give a wide girth to people in those cold areas during their winter time.
                    Possibly, I think it's about day length more than cold. I always thought that the winter here (Southern Britain) made people more mellow. Maybe someone from further North could comment on that!

As ever, opinions diverge on many matters.My impression is that on a good day, MCM was excellent and on a bad day a PITA. Like most of us! What really distinguished him was the sheer volume of his contribution, it seemed to me that he would really try his best to contribute on everything, and if he couldn't do it with an act of technical generosity out would come the negative comments. And maybe the trolling was just his way of making conversation, some people enjoy combat in their relationships more than others. But I suppose it's a game of means and standard deviations**.

It seems strange to be discussing him as if he had died. It will be interesting to see if Mr Drake's "permanent" really means "permanent". Could we have him back three days a week please?

** that's statistics, not character assassination!

Comment

He struck me as a guy with some irritable disease, on a good day he was insightful, knowledgeable and generally a good bloke, on a bad day he was as stated above a PITA. Even though I read his contributions to my many problems with dread, fearing a "bad" day, he usually had something worthwhile to say (even if the tone was unfortunate).

If there was a vote, on balance, I'd say the board is better of with him and he should be reinstated.

Comment

One thing I try not to be as I age is a grumpy old bastard. It takes daily commitment to that. Some days I fail.
                        About 10 years ago. I asked 2 men that were 83 years old, what makes a grumpy old man.
                        These 2 men, I respect a lot more than I can write here. My daddy worked fir the for 17 years my father opened a business of his own that was in competition to theirs. He did so me as a possible opportunity to supply a better income to a family of 6. My daddy had to gamble the home smog with a great deal of family investments beyond our immediate family.
                        But Mr Jim Lane and Mr Carl Powell had gained my respect by the life long observation of them, how they treated my father, how they treated me and talked to me over my life time.
                        When they got to a point of wanting to liquidate their business. Their could not because their receivables were not of a value to sell as assets. They were super kind and how they set up receivables was not very valuable to another entity to purchase. So to
                        keep from loosing so my. My father order use to make space for the 2 men to have a place to work and install new phones and being their business entity into ours and keep phones services separate and business entity separate and make room for all records of the business the the 2 men had. We hired their staff as our staff and they worked for our company and did any work they did before with the 2 men. It was a very tight working space but it worked. The 2 men's desk were close and I tried my. Eat please them in any and ever way I could.

From our long history of honest relationship, for some reason as I was aging too, I asked a question that both could hear as the sat in their cars with their heads down working. This set make it where both men could come into work when they pleased and leave when they pleased or not even be there when they pleased.
                        But both were there and I did not have to repeat myself.
                        Both heads picked up and looked at me. Because I knew I would get a truly good answer, I saw both men pause There was no laughing about it. Then Mr Powell
                        said. Paul, I will answer that question. He told me, Paul I am grumpy before my feet hit the floor. He said a lot of it has to do with your body not doing what you want it to do. As I have aged much since then, I understand much
                        ore about what he said and he is true.
                        Mr Powell died 2 years later at 85 and Mr Lane about 4 after that. As we get older we really see the struggles of others that usually we just cannot conceive as a younger person.
                        Now with all that. I do try to apply that girth of attitude to others and conditions may not necessary old but could be multiple factors like living conditions, health or stress of multiple. One way you can typically distinguish between Alzheimer's and dementia is that so much of the time. Alzheimer's makes a person mean.
                        Maybe it is more about what. Mr Powell said and being more conscious about what is happening to your body and as opposed to a happy go lucky spirit that maybe with dementia which my mother had. Alzheimer's is usually the classification most of those type illnesses are classified and in US is also classified as the 6th biggest killer an my mother died from it too
                        With my own observation of the likely age of. forum members. Many here will likely be effected by what I might call "grumpy old bastard syndrome".
                        I am not saying MCM has this but just bring an aweness to these basic facts.
                        The Drake ownership has been very well deserving of all the respect they have earned and it is also their privilege to rule as they they see fit and they tha each done a great job.
                        The great chef Paul Prudhomme said to be the best. Learn from the best. That is how he became one of the best.
                        From a solely self interest point. I cannot afford to lose one person that has qualities to teach me.
                        And let's face it. The Powerbasic community. is struggling with getting new members here to share their hard learned talents. Even I have now have turned to other sources. This forum now cannot live with luxury of being nothing close to any thing were members may be dropped.
                        If some members have a flare of Color here. I just try to laugh about it.
                        Being this thread is about MCM.
                        Then I will leave with this.
                        Michael has put in his time here. Nobody here pays anybody. We have before had many threads locked.
                        We can cut our nose off despite ourselves The price gets higher by the day here when there is a loss by high technical talent. I have been on the end of some harsh remarks. None by MCM.
                        But I will tell you again. There will be more "grumpy old bastards" and I just hope they make an effort to stop by and read some post and contribute. If they get Colorful, I am just going to try and take a woman's prespextive and pause and laugh. Most of us men are all just a bit too quick with our actions and we don't always pause before making a fool of ourselves. Yes I am in that group too.
                        p purvis

Comment

I’m dismayed to hear that MCM was banned from the forum. I’m of that generation that values competence over political correctness. I worry the younger generation has turned that on its head.

Comment

I wonder to what extent it's fair to blame the younger generation, the original PC nonsense was started by middle aged university functionaries.

Comment

If I get an answer to my question and was called stupid for asking.
                              I am a happy camper for getting the answer.
                              Kill off the smart ones and all that is left are stupid people asking question getting bad answers.
                              MCM banned ? - stupid decision by stupid people.
                              Trento Castricone
                              www.fileraptor.com
                              trento@castricone.com

Comment

I am a programmer

When I was about 8 years old, I saw an automatic tic tac toe (noughts and crosses) machine – this would be 1953. I spent the next few days writing a spec for the program. I have been programmer (in my own mind) since those days.

After graduating from university I became a full time professional programmer. After Fortran, my first real language was an assembly level language. While it did have ‘english’ codes, basically we programmed in a one to one relationship between a line of coding and a machine instruction. So I can program at machine level. I then learnt Cobol and dBase and Basic and some other languages. Most of my life has been spent as a computer person. Even when I was employed in a non-computer role, I seriously played with computers. I remember my delight when I could take a computer home as my own. It was a Compucolor in about 1982.

My degree was mathematics. And I learned strict logic too. So my life has been centered around a logic base.

I got very good at debugging programs. One of my staff in about 1972 thought I was an absolute unbelievable genius.

One of the most important lessons of my programming life was learning to be a debugger. There are two debugging rules. The first one is if you cannot see the error where you are looking, look somewhere else – everyone knows that rule. The second rule is my own. If you have a bug in your program the first thing you have to say is ‘I have made a mistake’. That is a very hard thing to say for a young up himself programmer. ‘I have made a mistake’. ‘It is my fault’ It is not the fault of the computer or the compiler or anything else, ‘it is my mistake’. Until you can say that publicly, you will not find many bugs.

Back in about 2000, I was programming in a very basic Basic. The owner of that Basic decided not to support it any more. So I looked for another compilable Basic. I stumbled on PowerBasic and bought it. I liked ‘compile without compromise’ and I still do. I am still impressed with the speed of both compiling and processing and the comprehensive nature of PB (you can do anything). PB was absolutely brilliant – it seemed to have no volume or logic depths limitations – wow.

But I was totally blown away with the PB forum. Here was a group of people who lived their lives by applying strict logic. People for whom the most important thing was to be strictly logical. And we talked about programming – PB and Windows programming, in particular – but programming and computer logic in general. And there were 1000’s of us. We all helped each other. And issues were discussed with a timing of days, hours, minutes and in some cases, seconds (do you remember someone saying ‘what took you so long?’ when he got an answer for a tricky problem in seconds from the other side of the world? I still laugh about that). We had long debates about computing philosophies, the existence of God, the American dream etc etc etc. Very logical debates.

My point is that this forum was a forum of logic. Logic was our goal and our achievement. It was more important to be logical than anything else. And sure our logic was underpinned by our interest in PB.

And at our height, there were 1000’s of participants, hundreds of helpful gurus and dozens of brilliant programmers all of whom spend time in explaining things to other people – people like me.

Now at times there was ‘trouble’. Logicians do not suffer fools gladly – well some do not. Language was not always temperate. People sometimes took umbridge. But to me it did not matter. What mattered was a logic driven forum. Bob did not like anyone criticizing his baby. Other administrators took too hard a line – in my view – and in some cases I told them so.

So PB is in decline. No ones fault. It was a one man product – a brilliant man - and we lost that man. There was a long period in the wilderness. Then we had a buyer – but developments are taking a long time to come. We do not have a path for the future. Our forum is weakened because our numbers are very much down.

And Adam, I think your banning of MCM is wrong. I think that you do not understand the basic logic philosophy of this program and this forum. I think that this lack of understanding on your part is another significant nail in the PB coffin. I am sad about this.

Kerry

Kerry Farmer

Comment

Originally posted by Trento Castricone
                                  If I get an answer to my question and was called stupid for asking.
                                  I am a happy camper for getting the answer.

Kill off the smart ones and all that is left are stupid people asking question getting bad answers.
                                  MCM banned ? - stupid decision by stupid people.
                                  @Trento,

If you don't mind being called stupid then it's ok, this is up to you.
                                  I guess that many others do not feel this way, I surely don't.
                                  I sometime fail, but do my best to be respectful to others.
                                  I see no fun in hurting people.

When you say "stupid decision by stupid people" you sadly say that Adam is stupid
                                  and you say it also to me, because I fully support Adam's decision.
                                  Insult are against forum's rules. But I guess you already knew this.

Forum has rules, Michael Mattias clearly broke them so may times for so many years and was tolerated.
                                  A lot of warnings and previous banning didn't change the attitude.
                                  This attitude was his choice. He pay for it. That is more than fair.

If you guys miss the man, there is an easy solution that could make you happy.
                                  Go to ProBoards and create your personal forum.

Regards

Rules and guidelines
                                  Last edited by Pierre Bellisle; 13 Nov 2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

The two opposing arguments I've read are:

1. Bad behavior is excused if you are useful
                                    2. Usefulness doesn't justify bad behavior

And, perhaps another pair of opposing arguments:

1. Just put on a thicker skin when online
                                    2. You shouldn't have to wear a thicker skin

As a prior Admin, I got no end of complaints about MCM's posts, had many folks tell me they wouldn't post online because of it and had many others tell me they left completely because of MCM's posts. You'll recall that I temporarily banned MCM myself a few years back, so I'm sympathetic with Adam for having to make the decision, but not particularly sympathetic with MCM because I know he's been given plenty of Admin guidance over a very long period of time on what is expected and given plenty of time/opportunity to adjust.

I suggested a compromise to Adam and MCM - let's see what develops.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Bellisle View Post
                                      @Trento,

If you don't mind being called stupid then it's ok, this is up to you.
                                      ***I am ok with this

When you say "stupid decision by stupid people" you sadly say that Adam is stupid
                                      ***I never said or implied any such thing

Forum has rules, Michael Mattias clearly broke them so may times for so many years and was tolerated.
                                      A lot of warnings and previous banning didn't change the attitude.
                                      This attitude was his choice. He pay for it. That is more than fair.
                                      ***But what is best for the forum?
                                      ok?
                                      Kerry Farmer

Comment

Thanks Gary

Good arguments

I hope you are not confusing "challenging posts" with "bad behaviour"

Good solution

Maybe the compromise is that MCM submits all his posts to someone (?Adam ?You) and you modify them.
                                        Kerry Farmer

Comment

Working...
                                        X