Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer "Novice User". A non-inflammatory way of saying beginner. I cannot say that MCM ever succeeded in helping me. Probably because I'm so bull headed and bound to find a solution to my issue even if it kills me again and again. My Avatar says it all.

Sorry, I cannot inject any laments here. Sadly, if I ever go to Michigan I probably won't look him up.

Well I take that back seeing how age is catching up to me. If I ever think I need a good browbeating then I just may look him up. Ha Ha

Comment

1.) I used "Suzi User" a lot because of its alliterative qualities. Funny, whenever I encountered the term, I always thought of this one guy I worked with... a nice gentleman, but wow... let's just say he was technologically challenged. When the complaint came up, I realized that it was sexist sounding even if I never meant it to be. Oh well, Novice User is just as good.

2.) We have The Back Room sub-forum. How about an MCM sub-forum where we have to agree to some special terms to join, like "Sometimes MCM can be viewed as offensive. Deal with it." Well, on 2nd thought... maybe not. If I were the owner of PB, I'd rather keep customers.
      ... .... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. .... ..

n6jah @ yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Robinson View Post
        Oh well, Novice User is just as good.
        In the programming communities, they are generally called noobs or newbies. We were all newbies at some point and I am pretty much there again, myself with having to relearn so much due to my TBI. Frankly, I am pretty close to giving up. Too hard to relearn this stuff at my age.
        I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

I'm with you Brice. If I could be just a smidge as talented as the "Computers" (women programmers) of the old days then I would be very happy. Trouble is the limit boundaries keep changing. "Out with the old. In with then new." "Oh wait! Where did the baby go?" Let me guess, it's name was MCM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brice Manuel View Post
            I have lost count of how many women I know who are my age, who are "Susie Homemakers" now, but were programmers back in their earlier years.

Funny you should say that Brice. When I was a boy, all the programmers were men and all the punch operators were women - actually we called them 'girls' no matter what their age was. Totally unPC! However to get your program changed you wrote the new code on a coding sheet and sent it down to the punch girls to punch up and then submitted the card deck to the computer - which you were not allowed to touch.

I never met a female programmer for many years.
            [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
            Kerry Farmer

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Farmer View Post
              When I was a boy, all the programmers were men and all the punch operators were women - actually we called them 'girls' no matter what their age was.
              A perfect example of why I always taught my students the difference between "coding" and "programming" and not to confuse the two terms and use them interchangeably.

Let me guess, it's name was MCM.
              When I see "MCM" i always think of MCM Electronics. I binged MCM and the first links is handbags.
              I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Reynolds View Post
                Kerry, I think you should accept that there is quite a difference between criticism and an insult
                Indeed.

And the difference is mostly in perception. IAW, the recepient is more often to blame (on this forum) than the messenger.

Here's the deal with peer support forums like this one: if you want help with something for free from other people, sacrificing their own spare time to help you out, it's your obligation to

a) do your homework upfront (RTFM!)
                b) describe your problem as precises as possible, which includes also the intention/purpose of your action. People often get stuck with a certain technical way of achieving their goals and limit their questions to that exact coding task. But there might be better ways of achieving the desired result. Something that would get mentioned, if only the problem description would state the purpose of the question asked/code shown.
                c) keep in mind that they're talking to an international audiance here. While English ofc is the lingua franka, it's not everyone's native language and therefore not everyone might be fully aware of the subtile "vibes" his answers may send to the recepient (which basically is HTFU)
                d) to cite MCM: "Failing code not shown" - provide a code example of the things you've already tried whenever possible

Comment

Good morning, Knuth!

Good list. I would add this ...

e) give as well as get help

When someone takes the time to help out others, I have a much greater tendency to respond to their requests. It's not an absolute requirement for me, but it does grease the skids!

Comment

Knuth,
                    Basically I agree but:
                    A) They may be having difficulty finding a reference to a function they are not familiar with, or have never used before, or have no clue what it is called.
                    B) They are having difficulty breaking a large app down to a user friendly snippet to demonstrate the failing code.
                    C) They perhaps cannot read the screen text adequately.
                    D) They feel that failing code is only needed when being subjective not objective. Objective example. (How can this be achieved? Any help is appreciated.)
                    E) Gary, posing a unique question provides a significant benefit for all visiting this site. To me it is the same as providing a working app. I hope you are considering that.

I just want to take a moment and thank all the guys and gals that are visiting this site. Thank you very much! I appreciate you all.

Yes, Watson that includes you too. Peace out

Comment

Hi Jim! Yep. I agree. If a person only posts once in their entire life, yet poses a question whose solution is very helpful to many of us, then I'm a happy camper. People get Nobel prizes for just one idea!

Joke: Did you know that the inventor of Knock-Knock jokes got the No-Bell Prize?

Comment

I think this particular thread as run its course. It has definitely steered on and off topic from its original subject. If you would like to discuss further, please begin a new thread, and please do try to stay on topic, it helps navigate the forum better. If you would like to discuss any specific issues with me privately regarding rules, etc., feel free to private message me.
                        Adam Drake
                        Drake Software

Comment

Working...
                        X