Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Turbo studio the best Virtual machine to protect software?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Turbo studio the best Virtual machine to protect software?

I'm testing out Turbo studio and found it quite good as it is virtual machine which can compact all your exe and dlls into one large exe file.
    It is also very fast in execution speed. It also can protect your software from crackers. Please let me know if you have use this VM (virtual machine)
    things like pros and cons about this VM.
    TQ

https://turbo.net/studio
    https://turbo.net/docs/getting-start...virtualization

I use Oracle Virtual Box which is free, but that doesn't virtualize just an application (that I know about.)
    I saw the pricing on turbo.net ISV at $11.95 a month? Ouch.

Comment

Turbo.net ISV is for distribution of turbo.net applications via the internet, it is a cloud service by turbo.net where
      your application can be run from the web instead of the user machine. If you do not use this service for your
      application, you need not subscribe for it.

Comment

In response to the threaed title "Is Turbo studio the best Virtual machine to protect software?", I'd say no.

I'll make the same suggestion I've made before: (Even though the title assumes some kind of Virtual Machine is the best protection)....

The best way to protect your software from theft is to offer a quality product at a fair price with good service.

MCM
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems Inc.
        Racine WI USA
        mmattias@talsystems.com
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

I believe she means how to protect against reverse engineering. The best way is to not allow users to be able to get to code on disk or in memory.

Comment

I believe we've had this thread before, or one really close to it. I distinctly recall the different interpretations of the word "protect."

Was it protection against use of the standard product by an unlicensed user?

Or was it protection against unauthorized use by a licensed user?

Or possibly protection against unauthorized copying?

Or maybe, as you suggest, was it protection against anyone reverse engineering the code in order to enable or disable some licensed feature?

Computer programmers are the worst users. They cannot describe what they want any better than - and sometimes not even as well - as can Johnny User or his sister Susie.

MCM

Michael Mattias
            Tal Systems Inc.
            Racine WI USA
            mmattias@talsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post

Computer programmers are the worst users. They cannot describe what they want any better than - and sometimes not even as well - as can Johnny User or his sister Susie.
              Interesting comment

I have problems getting people to give me a full spec. Sometimes I feel like grabbing them by the neck and shaking them and saying ' look buster, all I want is a totally comprehensive specification which covers all possibilities. And no, I am not a mind reader' [such are the limitations of the internet!] I do not program something so that you can then look at it and ask me to change it - unless of course you want to pay me a small fortune. Mind you, using some of those new fangled high level development tools, you can do this.

[I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
              Kerry Farmer

Comment

I'm testing out Turbo studio and found it quite good as it is virtual machine which can compact all your exe and dlls into one large exe file.
                It is also very fast in execution speed. It also can protect your software from crackers. Please let me know if you have use this VM (virtual machine)
                things like pros and cons about this VM.
                All she asked was if anybody has used it and what they thought about it.

Comment

I have problems getting people to give me a full spec
                  Not unusual at all.

That's why it helps to be familiar with the user's industry. Then you can 'guide' them thru the specifications.

Also why you should be leery of anyone who says we service "all lines of business." No one is familiar enough with ALL lines of business to make this claim. .
                  Michael Mattias
                  Tal Systems Inc.
                  Racine WI USA
                  mmattias@talsystems.com

Comment

> l - as can Johnny User or his sister Susie.

Damn, it looks like we have lost "Fluzie (Ab) User" from the rich cultural diversity that frequents this venue.
                    hutch at movsd dot com
                    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Mike Doty's interpretation of my message is so far the most accurate one.

Whereas MCM's statements on protection do hold well, yes we have found some good protection against crackers using this Turbo Studio VM.
                      Currently there is no known unpacker that can unpack Turbo shielded assemblies.

Turbo can encapsulate your exe and dll files into one single exe file. And to install you can just copy this SINGLE exe file into your customer's machines
                      there is no need to have an installer. Installation is simplified. You can port it to a flash drive ( protected of course) and your customer
                      can use it from machine to machine ( well of course you may need to limit this)

Alternately, you can use Turbo cloud based solution where your customers can run it on the cloud and pay their annual subscription fees.
                      No need to install into customer machines, and make it more difficult for crackers to hack.
                      Rogue users can be turned off their subscribed cloud channels if they misbehaved. Or defaulting customers who didn't pay up
                      their subscriptions will have their cloud accounts suspended.

The cloud solution is also good for customers as they can run your applications on legacy machines with XP OS and no need
                      to think about 32bit or 64 bit processing as everything is in the cloud. It is cloud processing and all your customers need is
                      a stable internet connection. Alternately for good customers you can supply them with a standalone app on a flash drive
                      Unfortunately Turbo does not cater for elderly 16bits apps

Perhaps some ozzie wet dreamers may have to stick to their readily available shielas rather than depending on their
                      day dream up Fluzie users when they implement this cloud based solution?
                      Last edited by Anne Wilson; 25 Aug 2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

How can a client run a win32 desktop application using the cloud without remote desktop? Is there some special client software?

Comment

Mike,
                          Turbo studio would help to build up a desktop exe file and other drivers which you can provide to your customers.
                          Your customer just copied this desktop app to their desktop and execute from there. He can copy that to any number
                          of machines he wishes but only one machine can access the Turbo.net account at any one time.

If the customer wants more users, then he can subscribe for more Turbo.net accounts through you. You can place the entire
                          SQL database into the Turbo.net cloud server. Turbo studio would provide you with the components for running the SQL database
                          all within one single VM container -- the single exe file.

Comment

The only cons I can think of is that we are depending on ONE single provider Turbo.net, if they fold up then you would need to move elsewhere.
                            It is SPOF -- Single Point Of Failure.
                            In fact Turbo net started off as Xenocode then change to Spoon and now Turbo net. And that they have a lot of disgruntled former employees
                            who wrote blogs against the Turbo net management. Go google it

Comment

At least we can reach to more customers even those with windows XP to build up your clientele worldwide. And lesser problems of
                              server management and administrative problems. Later on we can use alternative technologies similar to this Turbo net
                              if Turbo Net no longer viable.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_(software)
                                Very interesting. I have been working on SSH port forwarding so each application does not need to have security code.
                                Tried using multiple desktop clients, but Windows didn't like that without additional licensing.
                                This would all be really great if we also owned the server-side.

I've been looking into Jose Roca's COM code to see if it could be used to send encrypted strings between IP addresses (with or without certificates.)
                                Ultimate goal is to secure the TCP routines within SQLitening.

Comment

Mike, perhaps Spoonium may be of help here in your case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_(software)
                                  Yeah, it would be great if you can control the servers. There must be technologies around that
                                  matches Turbo net

Comment

I found another alternative to Turbo but not sure how it works https://windocks.com/
                                    Possibly you can try this too.

Comment

Working...
                                    X