X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feed... Register...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnnGbcM-H8c
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Oh, the good 'ol IBM 026. And how I remember it well. All 12 cards per minute.
    There are no atheists in a fox hole or the morning of a math test.
    If my flag offends you, I'll help you pack.

Comment

We all have to start somewhere... That was my first experience with computers in 1975. Fortran, Cobol and Neat/3. My path from classroom to classroom was designed around passing the computer lab to see if any of the punch stations were open. If one was, I jumped in for a few cards. While other students were hanging out in the bathroom or dark corner with their girlfriends I was in the bright lab clicking away. I'm surprised I didn't get beat up more often.

Frank

Comment

My first contact with computers was not punched cards.
        It was this:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqyVgrplrno
        The language was Algol-Genius, a merger of Algol and COBOL.
        /Fim W
        Fim Wästberg

Comment

Thanks Fim, I enjoyed that. Technology is a lot quieter these days, is it not?

In my senior year of high school (1973-4) I took a "math class" in Fortran. One stack of cards per day was driven to the local college and run on their computer; we got the cards and a printout (often Syntax Error) the next day. It didn't lead to anything until I started using a IBM XT at work, and picked up a copy TurboBASIC.
          "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

I am blessed that I missed punch cards, I saw them in a company I worked for when I was young but did not see another computer until the early 80s but did not have much time to play with them as I was running a business that needed 14-16 hours a day. bought my first x86 box in about 1990, this magnificent DX486 and a 300 meg NEC full height hard disk. This stuff cost me a fortune back then and with over a grand $AU for THE original SDK, I dived in head first at MASM, BASIC and C, (All Microsoft).

I have owned and used many computers since then but I still remember the startup sound of the first one, 2 floppies, the BIOS very loud BEEP and the sound of the NEC full height disk winding up. I got 5 years out of it and the very rare ESDI card was starting to fail so my next box had SCSI disks in it. I never had the heart to throw it out as it all cost me a fortune back then so the ESDI disk at about the size of a house brick sits at the bottom of a wardrobe and I still have the motherboard in its original box. The others computers except the current ones have all fallen by the wayside.
            hutch at movsd dot com
            The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Working...
            X