Ethernet to RS232 modules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethernet to RS232 modules

Has anybody ever used someething like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ethernet-...Yau:rk:18:pf:0

I've used these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142533696217

Comment

James,

Title of unit you liked "Ethernet to TTL RS232 Serial TTL to TCP/ IP RJ45 Convert Transmission Module UK" is self exclusive. ((unless TTL is brought to one set of pins. and RS232 is on a separate set of pins))(((then name should have been "Ethernet to TTL and RS232 ...)))

TTL (transistor-transistor logic) is 0V for logic "0" and +5V (maybe 3.3V) for logic "1". RS232 is +6V to +25V for logic "0" and -6V to -25V for logic "1". (note the signal inversion) With TTL you will need at least two inverters to connect to an RS232 port.

The unit Paul gave link for requires a USB host (like PC). You (generealy) can not connect two USB devices directly.

Cheers,
      Dale

Comment

Dale, yes these modules tranceive TTL level async data, I was using the term RS232 rathe loosely.

Paul, sorry I don't see the relevance of USB. My question is re. Ethernet to TTL level async.

Comment

James,
          My interest is peeked. What did you have in mind for that device?

Comment

I’m using 8 of these:

https://www.startech.com/Networking-...ter~NETRS2321P

I have them connected to 8 Dukane starcall Public announcement consoles.

I have not used PB across them & I see no reason way PB serial commands would not work
            BASIC shampoo - DO:LATHER:RINSE:LOOP UNTIL CLEAN <>0

Comment

A very quick Google.

If you want a 'device' see e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/USR-TCP232-.../dp/B07C1RR938
              If you are making your own PCBs and need a module see https://www.amazon.co.uk/USRIOT-USR-.../dp/B01GPMFXB2
              This is Amazon (UK) May be cheaper from a dedicated electronics distributor such as Farnell or DigiKey

Cheers, Mike.
              There are only two speeds for computers: fast enough, and too bloody slow.
              And there are 10 types of programmer -- those that know binary, and those that don't.

Comment

Thanks again for the input. No, I had not expected to to use serial commands, I had assumed the it would use TCP (of which I know practically nothing).

@Frank Do you use these devices "back-to-back" to produce what is escencially a range extender, or do you "talk" TCP to a remote serial server? I am looking to use one of these devices as a remote serial server with dedicated software in the client. I'm also looking at COM-2-COM with Hub4COM but I can't get it to work.

Comment

How remote? Like LAN at your location? Or, across the Internet?

Internet may have additional problem of non-fixed IP numbers at one, or both, ends. Can be overcome, but planning ahead would be good.

Cheers,
                  Dale

Comment

Mike’s first recommendation above seems to be a cheaper version of what I’m doing as the page mentions vcom software and that is the software that came with my IP 2 serial devices.
                    I provide tech support to 4 k-12 school districts and many are still using older PA systems for bell and Announcements from 1994. The software is 16 bit and sees’s only Com 1,2,3,4. When we needed to change a bell schedule, we would take a laptop to that building and plug into the serial port on the console to program them.

Now that I have these IP-2-serial devices in place I can have access to four buildings from two PCs/VMs.
                    We were using a single PC for this but I recently moved them to two VMs.
                    Before I committed to buying 8 of these, I got just one to test out.
                    I created a reservation in the Schools DHCP for each and then configures them from the Vcom software
                    The old software only talks to the com port so I just need to tell it a different com port for a different building.

Comment

Dale; these work locally.

Most of my school have dozens of the subset with routing between nets. I put these in a VLAN with much of the HVAC stuff to keep broadcasts at a minimal while off-site my staff or I will VPN in to make changes.

With a little bit of advance config, I bet you make them work over the internet; I would not recommend this as all of the serial devices I have programmed over the decades (a lot) have no security. The security to these devices is normal beeing able to access them physically.

Comment

(( ?? I thought this was James' thread!))

James, How remotely?
                        Dale

Comment

Dale, my local LAN (198.168.?.?) Sorry for nor responding sooner, some plausible excuse not including lazyness.

Comment

Sorry, don't need the number. Will the PC and Ethernet/TTL serial device be on the same LAN (like both at home, or both at office), or across the Internet (like PC at home and device at office)?

Cheers,
                            Dale

Comment

Hi Dale, I specified the address because I could not remember the correct term ie NAT, to show it was a "private" Lan behind a router. Client and server will be on that LAN and on that subnet.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Being on the same LAN will simplify things for you.
                                Dale

Comment

Working...
                                X