Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something about programming timezones...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something about programming timezones...

Recently I stumbled over a Youtube video, where Tom Scott is ranting about programming for different timezones. Worth looking / listening at.

„Let the machine do the dirty work.“
    The Elements of Programming Style, Brian W. Kernighan, P. J. Plauger 1978

Thanks Albert

Very timely!

He did not mention it but isn't the year after 1BC actually 1AD? In other words, there was no 0BC/AD????
    [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
    Kerry Farmer

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Farmer View Post
      He did not mention it but isn't the year after 1BC actually 1AD? In other words, there was no 0BC/AD????
      Right, so it is.

Wikipedia says:
      In the AD year numbering system, whether applied to the Julian or Gregorian calendars, AD 1 is preceded by 1 BC. There is no year "0" between them, so a new century begins in a year which has "01" as the final digits (e.g., 1801, 1901, 2001). New millennia likewise are considered to have begun in 1001 and 2001. This is at odds with the common conception that centuries and millennia begin when the trailing digits are zeroes (1800, 1900, 2000, etc.); for example, the worldwide celebration of the new millennium took place on New Year's Eve 1999, when the year number ticked over to 2000.
      „Let the machine do the dirty work.“
      The Elements of Programming Style, Brian W. Kernighan, P. J. Plauger 1978

Comment

for example, the worldwide celebration of the new millennium took place on New Year's Eve 1999...
        If only they had read the book, or watched the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.
        ... .... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. .... ..

n6jah @ yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
        X