Power basic and the Brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuart McLachlan View Post
    Conversely how does the brain see an object and decide "that is an apple" ?
    It creates the image of an apple from memory cues and compares them.
    There is a lot of fuzzy logic involved, to increase speed and flexibility.
    The world is strange and wonderful.*
    I reserve the right to be horrifically wrong.
    Please maintain a safe following distance.
    *wonderful sold separately.

Comment

Kerry,Are we still thinking of this system from your first post?
      With one click, you can recall 250 'memory cells' but with about 6 clicks, you can recall about 200 billion memory cells.
      You see an apple
      You identify it as an apple
      You concentrate on 'apple'

My question is how does the brain say 'What do I know about apples?' or 'What information is in my 86 billion cells about apples?'
      Do you really want all information about apples that you have stored in your brain?
      This could mean where in the world the apple was grown, the type of apple, how it was stored/treated before it got to you, do you like apples, do you like this type of apple, do you need apples, have you got any apples, is it pertinent that it is a tree fruit, what can you make from apples, does Halloween come to mind, ...
      This list of possible hits might be so long as to be endless, even without including horse apples.

There might be a limit that the brain itself imposes on the ability to recall the information. Information overload?

Methinks, somewhere in the brain's more permanent storage facilities is the concept of an apple, which is accessed, then subsequent information within the brain from past experiences with apples, which might be addressed on a last in - first out basis, with accommodation for favourite type, favoured by product, negative, or frightening connotations, also on a last in - first out basis.

I can't see you wanting redundancy in your gathered 'solution'.
      Rod
      "To every unsung hero in the universe
      To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
      To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart McLachlan View Post
        Conversely how does the brain see an object and decide "that is an apple" ?
        Well, in post #51 I was thinking that to have a 'computer brain' that it would have to have 'computer inputs' and develop its 'computer thoughts' from what it sees and hears, to start with. Thus, once it had learned to focus its vision, we could hold an apple in its line of sight and when it focused on it we could tell the computer 'This is an apple.' Much like one would do with a child.

Rod
        "To every unsung hero in the universe
        To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
        To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

Working...
        X