Windows 10..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10..

I don't get this - a bank id program we are using here in Sweden warned that they may not work much longer in Windows 7 due to MS stopping support for it on 14 jan, so I started looking for an upgrade. Ok, so some companies sold them for more than $100 and some had upgrades to the Win10 Home edition for just about $30. But, when I googled, some recent PC magazines said MS had started to toss out the upgrades for free again (even if MS themself said that was not true), so tried the free way via a link to MS upgrade page. Downloaded a 5 GB file and started the upgrade - took a long time, but didn't even have to type in any activation key or anything. It just worked and now I have Windows 10, all is working, all shortcuts on the desktop has remained intact and my old machine even feels a bit faster.

Feels like I must have done something wrong, but no - it just works, and it didn't cost me a dime! Took some time to adjust colors and looks, etc. to my liking, but compared to old time updates with hours of struggling with printer drivers, etc, this was nothing. So cool..

Well, Borje, if you feel you should pay something andor someone for it, just send me $30.00!!
    Rod
    "To every unsung hero in the universe
    To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
    To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

I just read this morning (I think in a CNet article) that updating 7 to 10 could still be done for free, but (of course) it was not preferred to a clean Win10 installation on (of course) new hardware... Their major concern was that older device drivers might be obsolete, and updates aren't available.

Congrats on your success!

-John

Comment

Borje, that $30.00...forget it!

Reality is. thanks for posting this because it reminded me that I should upgrade, and so I did, free of charge as well. So far, all systems are a go.
        Rod
        "To every unsung hero in the universe
        To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
        To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

Haha, yeah Rodney. I was mostly surprised the upgrade went so well and that my old machine actually feels a bit faster now. Next todo - upgrade the wife's laptop, filled with tons of trash, documents and pictures all over the harddrive. That'll be a fun challenge..

Comment

Borge, checkout O&O ShutUp10.

Some of it is necessary but some is just downright nosey.

Comment

Börje,
              The alternative is to change the wife to another who has a laptop with w10. (ler)
              /fim
              Fim Wästberg

Comment

Hard drives are so cheap these days the last few times I updated the spouses computer to a new OS I installed a new hard drive and a fresh install of software. I copied over what I could find on the old drive and filed it away. If she tells me that something is missing I then have a better picture of what I missed on the original install and copy that over. Eventually the old drive is empty or contains things that maybe were not worth copying over anyway. I have 3 or 4 drives that I could plug in if necessary. A USB hard drive 'toaster' is real convenient for this.

Comment

About 1 year ago I bought this (DELL LATITUDE E6430s Intel Core i7-3540M 3.00GHz 8GB RAM 128GB SSD) with Windows 10 Pro installed for $125 on Ebay out of Wisconsin plus tax ($7.50) for a female friend. Her old computer was upgraded from XP to Win7 and when I visited her and used her laptop it was like riding a tortoise. About 7 months later she brought the new computer on a visit to me in California. Next day couldn't connect by WiFi and had to do a bit of research online for a solution. Turns out its a slider switch on the side not labeled for quick airplane mode that got moved during the trip. Very frustrated at this point, but once connected was very pleased with the laptop. In fact it was way above what I expected. Of course I could only devote a small portion of my time during her vacation, but this was a very good purchase.

As a whole I don't like laptops. I ran a business for 40 years, and desktop computers was a big part of my engineering work. I guess what I wanted to express here is, I think Windows 10 pro, is worth the total price of this purchase, and I also get a very nice working laptop. So it your looking for windows 10, you might want to get some hardware with it.

Comment

To: Borje Hagsten

I did what you did last week but I had a problem with windows 10 home. After I got Windows 10 set up and running some of my PBWin programs would not run I got a destination file write error(496). I could never get it it figured out even after posting my problem on the PB forum so I just recovered by to Windows 7. Have you had any of the same problem?

Comment

Leroy,
                      Now that you are back on Win 7 and everything seems to be working then make a backup copy of your PBWIN folder to an external hard drive and try the upgrade again. Then copy your backup files to your computer. Should work then.

Comment

If you are using a win7 64 machine and its working OK, turn off the updates and secure it yourself, firewall and AV. If you are building a new machine, do a clean install of Win10 64 and with enough work and patience, it will work well but avoid upgrades like the plague, I have seen so many horror stories that it is not worth messing up a working machine doing it.

I have just recently built a new machine with an i7 4770k and as I owned a retail version of Win7 64 Ultimate, I installed it on the new box then got every win7 64 upgrade Microsoft had to offer and once that was done, turned off update so Microsoft could not trash anything. Secure it yourself and don't do anything stupid and you will not have any problems. The greatest security risk is the operator, not the computer or the OS.
                        hutch at movsd dot com
                        The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Roberts View Post
                          Borge, checkout O&O ShutUp10.

Some of it is necessary but some is just downright nosey.
                          Also have a look at OpenShell (successor of ClassicShell).

Comment

Lots of good tips - thanks fellows. Haven't started with my wife's laptop yet - maybe should try your alternative instead, Fim.

Comment

Note:
                              Under Windows 10 if you have a known good app and you decide to use Save As so you can create another app from that you should be aware that the name you choose for the file when compiled may be an EXE that Windows considers a protected file "Run as Administrator" type file and will not launch after compile.

BOLO - "Be On the Look Out" for this behavior. It happened to me recently. Easy fix. Change the file name to something else. COMPILE EXE "Buda.exe".

Here is a link to others having the same problem.
                              Another recent link.

As outlined in the links if there are keywords embed in the name like these:
                              "EXE"
                              "SETUP"
                              "UPDATE"
                              "INSTALL"
                              "INSTAL"
                              "CLIENT"

then you will have this problem.
                              "Cannot launch file C:\PBWin70\Samples\Test\DispatchClient.exe
                              Incorrect function."
                              As it turns out likely this should be used to eliminate this problem.
                              #RESOURCE MANIFEST <manifest file> statement.

Comment

Good to know, Jim - thanks!
                                BTW Leroy, I have not seen any problems yet. All is running well and just checked - I have got Window 10 Pro installed (was Windows 7 Pro, so guess even the free updates follows previous license on the computer Windows' label).

Comment

Yes, they do, ofc with the few exceptions of Windows 7 editions for which there's no equivalent WIndows 10: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-upgrade-paths

Comment

Working...
                                  X