Charles Petzold's Examples

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Petzold's Examples

Examples from the book Programming Windows, 5th Edition, by Charles Petzold, translated and adapted to PBWIN 10.
    Attached Files
    Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Examples from Petzold

Thanks for sharing this...

Comment

anybody knows where i can buy this book? i tryed with spanish libraries and amazon, but i dont want an ebook.

no time to be with computer and i like to read on paper.

Comment

Roberto,
        You can get it from Amazon. You just didn't go far enough down the list to find the paper copy (2nd page of listings is where I found the book).

Comment

just found it... 109$ new?

lets see second hand.

Comment

FWIW....
            Code:
            #IF %DEF(%PB_CC32)  ' if to be compiled with PBCC6 or PBCC5, then
              #CONSOLE OFF      ' this example doesn't need the console window
            #ENDIF
            placed before statements in the programs lets some, if not all, compile with PBCC 6.(All I have tried have all compiled and ran so far, but with the console window. I've started placing the above in the code before even trying the samples.)
            Last edited by Rodney Hicks; 15 Oct 2014, 12:51 PM.
            Rod
            "To every unsung hero in the universe
            To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
            To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

The prices on that book seem to vary widely from week to week, and maybe even day to day. Different folks have mentioned it being a daunting thought to have to read through a book of doorstop proportions, but the fact of the matter is, with that book, just the first couple chapters is worth the price of the book. Petzold gives the best description of the function calls and how they fit into the big picture in just the introductory chapter. It may actually be chapter two or three in the new book, because the big change from the Windows 95 edition of the book was TCHARs and unicode, and really, from the point of view of a PowerBASIC programmer, that can be completely skipped, because everything about it is unique to C/C++.

I believe its chapter 4 that's all about graphics and its brutal. The only thing I ever needed from that chapter were things having to do with text, fonts, and brushes, but if you are into graphics topics and it seems most folks are, its a big one! Otherwise, you can work through the various programs at your leisure after getting the 'big picture' from the introductory chapters.

If you get stuck on something from the code being C, there's always folks around here that can help.
              Fred
              "fharris"+Chr$(64)+"evenlink"+Chr$(46)+"com"

Comment

I tried to download the Charles Petzold Examples but my antivirus software informed me of Multiple Threats Found and terminated the connection.
                I find this hard to believe.
                Any ideas.

Gavin

Comment

I just downloaded it and did not have any anti virus warning...

Pierre

Comment

I also just downloaded it with no AV warnings, or any other problems.

jim
                    ... .... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. .... ..

n6jah @ yahoo.com

Comment

> Any ideas.

Yes. Change your antivirus software.

Comment

I just tried to download again with the same result.
                        This is a copy of the log

Log
                        E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/EMF1/EMF1.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.BYJD trojan - action selection postponed until scan completion
                        E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/EMF2/EMF2.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.AXSI trojan - action selection postponed until scan completion
                        E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/EndJoin/EndJoin.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.AQWQ trojan - action selection postponed until scan completion
                        E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/MenuDemo/MenuDemo.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.FFYQ trojan - action selection postponed until scan completion
                        E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/MenuDemo2/MenuDemo2.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.FFYQ trojan - action selection postponed until scan completion
                        E:\Downloads\dipfree_en64(1).exe » QSETUP » 00255#router.dll » ENIGMA » mainBinary.dll - unpack error

E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/EMF1/EMF1.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.BYJD trojan - deleted
                        E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/EMF2/EMF2.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.AXSI trojan - deleted
                        E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/EndJoin/EndJoin.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.AQWQ trojan - deleted
                        E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/MenuDemo/MenuDemo.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.FFYQ trojan - deleted
                        E:\Downloads\CharlsPetzold\Petzold.zip » ZIP » Petzold/MenuDemo2/MenuDemo2.EXE - a variant of Win32/Kryptik.FFYQ trojan - deleted

I have no idea of why this is happening. It may very well be a setting in my AV software.
                        I have no doubt these files are not infected.

Comment

It is called a false positive. Some AV like Avast are famous for finding false positives even in the soup.

Comment

FWIW. MS Security Essentials on my PC (Windows 7) doesn't like it either..

Checked at www.virustotal.com - they report a virus detection ratio of 26/54 - mostly different suspects but Variant Jaik.9545 quite common.
                            Rgds, Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X