10 seconds to wait between forum search

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 seconds to wait between forum search

When searching the forum for info, it is quite annoying to wait 10 seconds in between forum search.
    I can understand the reason why this was setup but maybe you can set this limitation only to "not logged in" users.

Thanks a lot
    Eros
    thinBasic programming language
    Win10 64bit - 8GB Ram - i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

maybe you can set this limitation only to "not logged in" users
    I hadn't thought of that.
    I do find the 10 second wait annoying.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

I logged out. Did a search. Logged in. Got stopped by the 10s rule.

So it would seem the test currently is applied to my IP?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Beene View Post
          I logged out. Did a search. Logged in. Got stopped by the 10s rule.

So it would seem the test currently is applied to my IP?
          More likely a cookie in your browser with a timestamp.

Comment

I find it annoying too, but it is usually my own fault. I hit refresh when I don't need to, or something like that. The real question is "why are you sending queries to the database < 10 second apart?" The database is trying to protect itself from DOS attacks, and reduce the load on the server.

BTW it's by browser session, not IP (etc.). Otherwise you couldn't open PB in two different tabs and refresh them both in <10.

When I was Admin, at first I had it set to 5 but this is one of those settings that vBulletin Cloud "enforces" and it gets reset to the default 10 on a regular basis.
            "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

I leave the forum page open in a browser.
              Sometimes the browser leaves the page exactly where it was when I last looked and I need to refresh it.
              But often, when I switch to the browser, the browser will refresh the page just before I do so get the 10 second delay.

I don't sit at the keyboard trying to do a search in under 10 seconds. I just click "Activity stream".

Comment

I use Activity Stream too.

> the browser will refresh the page

Which browser does that?

Comment

Chrome does. I'm sure others do too. My mobile phone often reloads a web page when I switch back to a tab after being away for a long time. It might well be the web page itself is set to update after a while.

Comment

I never see that on Chrome on a PC. The vBulletin software doesn't auto-refresh pages even when delivering a mobile page; more likely the phone-Chrome is doing it IMO.

Comment

I have dropped this back to 5. There is not a way to limit based on whether or not you are logged in - so I figured leaving some delay would deter things like bots potentially overloading the resources. Will be interesting to see if it gets reset back to 10 like Eric mentioned - those unknown changes can sometimes bite when you don't know it.
                      Adam Drake
                      Drake Software

Comment

Originally posted by Adam J. Drake View Post
                        I have dropped this back to 5. There is not a way to limit based on whether or not you are logged in - so I figured leaving some delay would deter things like bots potentially overloading the resources. Will be interesting to see if it gets reset back to 10 like Eric mentioned - those unknown changes can sometimes bite when you don't know it.
                        Thanks.
                        thinBasic programming language
                        Win10 64bit - 8GB Ram - i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Comment

Working...
                        X