X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curse of Version 6

An article from Dr. Dobb's, 2014.

http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-...on-6/240168952

Hoping that PowerBASIC moves beyond version 6, and into 64-bit.

Joe

I'm using Version 10

Comment

Joe

Interesting debate you introduce.

It is always a problem how much you should know about future developments when you introduce v 1.0

I always have problems of getting 1.0 out there. I want to keep adding new features. I need an issue discipline.

Then you need to restrict yourself for developments. And you need to define and estimate and timeline every development. At a very low level. And no 'a miracle happens here' type statements.

Some early histories about development are always interesting to read. There was a good book about developing a Data General operating system - I got the book here in my computer history library - I must try and remember the title - ? the Birth of a New Machine - was it?

Plan the development - then develop to the plan. Restrict your ambitions.

PB was a gradual development - at least for the time I was involved - since 2001. And there were/are hints in the help screens that Bob had future plans.

[question 'Am i doing this because it is fun or do the customers really want it? The answer is sometimes not easy]
      [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
      Kerry Farmer

Comment

I would only start to worry if it was version 666 as it may be issued with some other intent in mind.
        hutch at movsd dot com
        The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Working...
        X