Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Planned Obsolescence of Old Coders

Well, this is the right target audience for this article
    I challenge all my young developers on a weekly basis on coding paradymes and I have yet to be taught something from the sub 30 yr olds.

One of the problems of age is that you cannot learn so fast.

When I was young, I could read a manual and quote it back to you (this is pre online help days!)

Now I struggle after the first page!

In my day, network engineers spent about a third of their time learning!

I had one engineer apply for a job at Microsoft in about 1992 and they turned him down as he was too old. He was 29!

Actually it is illegal in NZ to choose or refuse a candidate on age - so they have to find another reason.

I actually left computing in 1973 because I decided that my skills as a Cobol programmer and system designer would not last my working life. But I came back in 1977 because I missed it. I came back as a designer/manager/sales person for computing systems.

When I listen to young programmers they seem to know only isolated subjects about computers - and not the whole story
    [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
    Kerry Farmer

Comment

There is a very old joke (in computer terms) that goes something like,

What does a C programmer say to an ADA[tm] programmer ?
      I will have onions with my French fries please.

There are those who are expendable and those who continue to know and do something useful.

How many VB programmers got left high and dry when Microsoft abandoned it ?

Are operating systems designed by kiddies ?
      hutch at movsd dot com
      The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

As with most professionals.
        You have to continue to learn.
        It is not a learn one time and apply on that.
        I really don't think programmers are any different from most other similar professions in the article.
        What really eats at me is how that person who wrote the article was looking for some person to give talks based on not knowledge but some physical attribute of the person that outweighed knowledge of a person to share.

I think there are mamy reasons why an older person may change their status in a profession. Usually financial reward is the biggest due to ones financial expense needs. I mean, I know a lot of food service industry people who make a good living doing that, but you don't really see many older people doing that because of supply and demand.

I was calked an old man last year by some guy.
        My date was younger than his and I reminded him mine was much prettier too.
        p purvis

Comment

Working...
        X