Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A link for Gary

Hi Gary,

You mentioned that you were thinking of putting off your trip to Australia due to the bush fires. With the recent very heavy rain, it has effectively put the fires out and given the Rural Fire Service a much needed rest. Many don't understand that old growth forests in Australia are purified by fire and some plant species only propagate after a bush fire. There has never been a time in either recorded history or from research about pre-history that Australia was free of bush fires, pre european settlement explorers recorded seeing massive smoke clouds from the sea hundreds of years ago.

Below is a link for the south coast of New South Wales where they are up and going again.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/austr...c21b2349b23ef2
    hutch at movsd dot com
    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Howdy, Steve!

Thanks for the update!

We did go on the trip - about 2 weeks ago now. Despite the negative media blitz here, our experience on the trip was much different.

We went to Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns - perhaps a typical tourist itinerary. We saw no fires, saw no smoke and did not smell anything related to the fires. I know some areas were still having fires, but it had zero affect on our trip. Even from the planes, we did not see anything. On one trip to the Blue Mountains we did see some scorched areas, but nothing active.

It was a great trip. We went to the Australian Open, saw kangaroos and koalas out in the wild (preserves), We hiked up and down the Sydney bridge and toured the Sydney Opera house. Up north we went to the rain forests and the Great Barrier Reef. The people were extraordinarily friendly everywhere we went!

The going/coming air flights - 16+ hours - were the worst part. We had flight cancellations and delays, which added from 6-8 extra hours in the airport. That was a bummer! Also, the deadly jellyfish in the ocean waters in the north also put a major glitch in our plans. Warning signs explained that the jellyfish and salt water crocodiles were present - something I had not known about ahead of time.

When we got back, we saw all the stories about heavy rain so we were hopeful that the fires were substantially stopped.

I'd go again!

Comment

Sounds great, you hit most of the right spots. Glad you took notice of the warning signs, you can add to the crocodiles and jellyfish, bull sharks and white pointers, stone fish and blue ringed octopus. Funny enough I have never done the bridge hike but its supposed to be good value. Shame about the delays but that seems to be the world we live in at the moment.
      hutch at movsd dot com
      The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Steve,
        The bridge is a 3.5 hour climb (round trip). Great exercise and a wonderful view of the harbor, including the Opera. We walked very close to the edge of the bridge - just 3-4 feet, but were attached by a harness to the bridge. They make you strip down and put on special coveralls, with harnesses, and you cannot carry anything. They don't want anything falling from your hands down to the bridge traffic or harbor traffic below.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Beene View Post
          Howdy, Steve!

Thanks for the update!

We did go on the trip - about 2 weeks ago now. Despite the negative media blitz here, our experience on the trip was much different.

We went to Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns -

I'll be in Cairns all next week

Comment

Working...
          X