No announcement yet.

Why the Internet of Things ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is way off subject but I had an interesting thought. With all the "Ransom Ware" attacks which primarily target Windows 2003 and Windows XP - I guess because they are no longer supported and any holes are never plugged. Wouldn't be interesting if Microsoft were the "Ransom Ware" source? With all the Outdated and/or ILLegal Windows copies in the World this would be a great sales tool. Not saying this is the case but it would be Smart!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Scott View Post
      This is way off subject but I had an interesting thought. With all the "Ransom Ware" attacks which primarily target Windows 2003 and Windows XP - I guess because they are no longer supported and any holes are never plugged. Wouldn't be interesting if Microsoft were the "Ransom Ware" source? With all the Outdated and/or ILLegal Windows copies in the World this would be a great sales tool. Not saying this is the case but it would be Smart!
      That statement is misleading: WannaCry uses a SMBv1 flaw as its attack vector. Any (Windows) system that's not patched is the "primarily target". Any system.

And contrary to popular believe some sort of XP is still support by MS: Embedded XP, which is the OS used in many ATMs. Knowing that, one can "fool" Windows Update to still receive patches for Win XP. Here's how: https://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/24/ge...xp-april-2019/

And if you really wanna dive into tinfoil hat territory, how's that: The exploit used by WannaCry seems to be taken from the ShadowBroker's leak of NSA tools. So the NSA was very well aware of that exploit ... and perhaps MS, too. But the NSA forced MS to keep that exploit open (until it becomes public knowledge), so that they can keep using their tools based on it.

Comment

OK, I think the word "primarily" makes the statement correct but indeed it may be misleading. But the NSA/MS exploit is good info.

Comment

That may be a language thing, but to me "primarly attacks" sounds/implies some intentionally selection/preference of certain OS' (2003 and XP). And that's not the case. It attacks a SMBv1 flaw. It just so happens that most systems with that flaw are indeed XP and 2003, as there was no patch availabe.

Comment

Its like with modern cars: The more parts are builtin (means the more complicated it is) the more will get broken and needs be replaced with expensive spare parts.
            As we see with Printers, the manufacturer does not more make so much money with the selling of the printer, he grabs your money when you buy the spare parts and the the new Ink.
            After all this is just a new way of getting the money out of your packet into the money of always hungry companies who need to produce every year more and more Percentage for their stock owners.
            Now they found out that all cars have chips inside that can be manipulated by the US Agencies so your car will crash in case they do not like you.
            Also what we see is that these IOT Devices get hacked and make themselves hacking attacks. "When your light bulb attacks your server".
            We produce completely unneccessary problems here. There is no need for a light bulb to be connected with the Internet, unlike if there is a microphone inside and somebody is interested to know what we are talking.
            --Theo Gottwald
            ------------------------------------------------
            76706 Dettenheim * Germany * info@it-berater.org
            ------------------------------------------------
            Joses Forum * Theo's Link Site * IT-Berater.org

Comment

I am much of the same view as Theo here, I don't want a smart refrigerator, I want a dumb one that keeps things cold. Governments (any) grasping for an every increasing level of control are dangerous and they serve interests that do not match the folks who elect them. Many politicians who have promised to respond to the interests of their own electorate but have ended up kiss the arse of big money like they usually do.

One of the many things that irk me about Windows 10 64 bit is what they call telemetry which is a bullsh*t term for actively spying on you. There are a few toys that can turn most of it off but you simply cannot trust Microsoft or any other Internet company to protect your interests when they only serve their own. The never ending search for new and creative ways to suck more money out of you is the only thing they are interested in.

As far as light bulbs, even with the new LED types that use far less power, there is no reason to add the IOT into them, like Apple with the old phones slowing them down, it would simply be a way to stop the bulb from working after a set time period. Over the last couple of years I did all of the bulbs in the house with Panasonic LED globes and they have a life expectancy of about 15 years. Many companies would not like this.

Can you imagine a use for an IOT toaster when ordinary junky ones do the job just fine. One of my pet peeves is microwave ovens that now day all have touch pad controls rather than a couple of knobs on dials. Digital has its place but so does analogue and the first often does not work as well as the latter. Just as an example, I own a Lincoln wire feed welder that has a switch and 2 knobs, I have seen some of the similar sized ones that have a full panel of digital controls and they don't work any better but they sure are complicated.
              hutch at movsd dot com
              The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

You are right Steve

The difference between a $70 microwave oven and a $500 one is the complexity of the programs

Which I never use!!!

And one that connects to the internet is nonsense
                [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
                Kerry Farmer

Comment

I couldn't agree more.
                  I got food poisioning from someone else's microwave 'cos I didn't understand the fancy interface.

My big thing is washing machines refusing to cycle just because some superfluous sensor doesn't like the powder to water mix, size of the load etc...ridiculous.
                  I generally go for the simplest things because usually there's less moving parts to go wrong and I have a better chance of fixing them myself.
                  Another big thing is boilers...Years ago they used to last 50 years or so.....Now your luck if they last 5, in spite of their fancy electronics and interfaces.
                  I have found a solution to the latter, though http://www.dowlingstoves.com/
                  These things are hand built out of very heavy plate with no elaborate inner flow-related structures.
                  That's because the shape does all the work and they're so strongly built that nothing really ever needs replacing. Fantastic.
                  One of these was in a house on Grand Designs.

As a last rant....my last company car was a shiny new Mercedes E320 common rail diesel. Really good motorway car but within 10 months it'd been in the garage twice with issues related to stability control and some other computer related luxury. For years afterwards I ran PROPER Skoda engined cars and lament VW's decision to end this long line of very simple, VERY TOUGH pushrod engines. I used to buy them with head gasket problems for nothing at about 60K miles, replace the gaskets and run them to about 130K miles. The only special equipment needed other than taking the head for skimming (£20 at the local one-man band engineer's....another thing that's disappearing) was a cardboard box to push the pushrods through to keep their relative positions. Rubber bands on plastic wheels now drive my cars' cams because chains cost more than the cars, to replace. On one occasion I just caught one of the said plastic wheels,in a Ford Mondeo, before it collapsed. So much for progress.

The most impressive thing I saw recently was an episode of Engine Addicts where Jimmy De Ville went to Warsaw and grafted an FSO Syrena engine into a snow machine. Now that's what I call an owner-friendly engine/car (7 moving parts and small enough to lift out easily). What was equally impressive was the Polish Syrena expert who tested each potential donor car's engine by repeatedly pulling on the fan belt to turn the engine over, checking the compression of each cylinder with each pull. That's not something you can do on most cars.

Here's a brief excerpt and not a microprocessor in site.....I doubt they'd handle the cold.
                  Perhaps we all need to move to Poland.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkLvRVq6MP4

Not sexy but just goes to show...there's no real need to make people as dependent as they are on garages with the associated expense.
                  You could have one of these out and fix it on your kitchen table .
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dean Gwilliam; 21 Jan 2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

The IoT is a security nightmare but just look where it's going. Already I can turn my heating on or off when I'm not at home. If I can then a suitably informed miscreant can. Hopefully worst case would be to heat my house up and raise my gas bill. But now people are getting things like Google Home Mini which has already been caught listening in, and Hive View cameras and the like. As more and more things get connected, it becomes easier and easier to draw a picture of someone's lifestyle from the data generated. George Orwell might have been onto something when he said Big Brother was watching you. The difference is with Google and Apple et al, we're inviting them in to watch.
                    Neil Croft (cissp)

Comment

http://particle.io has a fun little device. You can get wifi or cellular versions.
                      LarryC
                      Website
                      Sometimes life's a dream, sometimes it's a scream

Comment

I just want a stove that resets its own clock!

Comment

Working...
                        X