No announcement yet.

Why the Internet of Things ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is way off subject but I had an interesting thought. With all the "Ransom Ware" attacks which primarily target Windows 2003 and Windows XP - I guess because they are no longer supported and any holes are never plugged. Wouldn't be interesting if Microsoft were the "Ransom Ware" source? With all the Outdated and/or ILLegal Windows copies in the World this would be a great sales tool. Not saying this is the case but it would be Smart!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Scott View Post
      This is way off subject but I had an interesting thought. With all the "Ransom Ware" attacks which primarily target Windows 2003 and Windows XP - I guess because they are no longer supported and any holes are never plugged. Wouldn't be interesting if Microsoft were the "Ransom Ware" source? With all the Outdated and/or ILLegal Windows copies in the World this would be a great sales tool. Not saying this is the case but it would be Smart!
      That statement is misleading: WannaCry uses a SMBv1 flaw as its attack vector. Any (Windows) system that's not patched is the "primarily target". Any system.

And contrary to popular believe some sort of XP is still support by MS: Embedded XP, which is the OS used in many ATMs. Knowing that, one can "fool" Windows Update to still receive patches for Win XP. Here's how: https://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/24/ge...xp-april-2019/

And if you really wanna dive into tinfoil hat territory, how's that: The exploit used by WannaCry seems to be taken from the ShadowBroker's leak of NSA tools. So the NSA was very well aware of that exploit ... and perhaps MS, too. But the NSA forced MS to keep that exploit open (until it becomes public knowledge), so that they can keep using their tools based on it.

Comment

OK, I think the word "primarily" makes the statement correct but indeed it may be misleading. But the NSA/MS exploit is good info.

Comment

That may be a language thing, but to me "primarly attacks" sounds/implies some intentionally selection/preference of certain OS' (2003 and XP). And that's not the case. It attacks a SMBv1 flaw. It just so happens that most systems with that flaw are indeed XP and 2003, as there was no patch availabe.

Comment

Working...
          X