Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlo Pagani
    replied
    Oh, I see now... you used the Widechar option to exceed the limit of MAX_PATH characters for the fully-qualified filename.
    No! You have a knack of bending what is said. Nothing stops you in XP from making subfolders in ANSI that exceed MAX_PATH. You have no choice but to use above to read the full path.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    Oh, I see now... you used the Widechar option to exceed the limit of MAX_PATH characters for the fully-qualified filename.

Leave a comment:

• Carlo Pagani
    replied
    Well, MCM, the discussion is about path lengths

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

In the ANSI version of this function, the name is limited to MAX_PATH characters. To extend this limit to 32,767 wide characters, call the Unicode version of the function and prepend "\\?" to the path. For more information, see Naming a File.

Leave a comment:

• Pierre Bellisle
    replied
    Hacker News: Microsoft Removes 260-Character Path Length Limit in Windows 10 Redstone

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    I remember having to use the \\?\ Unicode API's because I could not get to the full path a long long time ago so I'm sure missing something. (XP iiirc)
    For PB users of version 9 or earlier, running on any operating system, the UCODE$() function (or the WinAPI MultiBytetoWideChar() function) means Windows' functions requiring wide-char arguments are always accessible, although you have to A) make the call using a "BYVAL STRPTR(stringvar)"" argument and B) ensure the string ends with at least two (2) CHR$(0) (Not guaranteed with ANSI strings, which will end with at least one $NUL).

Strings returned in wide-char format can be read with the PB ACODE$() function and/or the WinAPI WideChartoMultibyte() function.

While there may be some WinAPI functions supporting the "\\?\,,,," format I am not familiar with any requiring it.

MCM

Leave a comment:

• Carlo Pagani
    replied
    Hi Chris

I remember having to use the \\?\ Unicode API's because I could not get to the full path a long long time ago so I'm sure missing something. (XP iiirc)

Leave a comment:

• Change in maximum file path length coming to Windows 10 Redstone version

The following article is important: http://news.softpedia.com/news/micro...e-504596.shtml

Currently the maximum file path length is 260 characters. In Redstone (coming soon), it appears Microsoft will allow admins to change this default to allow greater path lengths.

While most PC's will likely not go beyond the default, some admins may change it so it could break some WIN32 software which reads file paths and expect a max of 260 characters.

Working...
X