Announcement

Collapse

Forum Guidelines

PowerBASIC provides The Classifieds as a service to the PB Community. Unless specifically stated, endorsement by PowerBASIC should not be inferred, even if PB Management relays information from an outside source.
See more
See less

Zip Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip Drives

Hi Folks,

A friend of mine asked me to rescue some old files and family movies/pictures for her. Problem is they are on the old iomega zip drive disks (100MB). Does anyone have any of those things laying around?

Thanks,

JS
    John,
    --------------------------------
    John Strasser
    Phone: 480 - 273 - 8798

I do. I have a zip drive which connects to a USB drive (250 meg/100 meg), plus some IDE internal zip drives (100 meg) which are the size of a 3 1/2 floppy drive.. I even have the disks. Zip drives came in 100 meg, 250 meg and 750 meg.
    Chris Boss
    Computer Workshop
    Developer of "EZGUI"
    http://cwsof.com
    http://twitter.com/EZGUIProGuy

Comment

Available on eBay for $20 or so.
      Iomega Zip 100 External Storage Zip Drive Model Z100P2 w/AC Power Supply

Comment

It's amazing how boat anchors like this manage to stick around.....and around.....and around. I'll bet somebody out here still has an XT laying around in a closet or garage shelf. Or maybe still using it.
        There are no atheists in a fox hole or the morning of a math test.
        If my flag offends you, I'll help you pack.

Comment

Oh dear, that brings back memories of "click of death".

Comment

I would be glad to copy them from zip to a cd
            I can read zip 100
            and zip 250 drives
            just need to send the zip's to me

Comment

I can maybe do one better. I have some of these drives still and I believe they are some new or barely used. Plus the data disk too.

WARNING:
              i had a SCSI interface for some SCSI Zip drives running under MSDOS. I had the hardware disabled in the config.sys file while the card was in the machine. Having the card in the machine and the driver turned off caused intermittent data loss of bytes on the hard drive. This was hell for 3 months trying to tract down the problem on the server and find files that had errors in them. It took me 3 years to discover the problem as was written in a 2000 page general technical book that described the problem. it was on my main data server too.
              It was 3 months almost 7 days a week of trying to get back my data.
              I finally bought a whole new computer and ran a bare server as I could and that did not include the SCSI card. It was a brand name card too that was very popular. I have not used SCSI since.
              The SCSI device was to be used with a SCSI Zip drive for backing up.
              My hard drives were RAID 1 with a Promise card.
              But I think I have some USB drives that I never used because of other technology. If they are not USB, they are parallel. I have to check. I am going to be out of town till Oct 25
              Last edited by Paul Purvis; 17 Oct 2017, 05:01 PM.
              p purvis

Comment

Hi Folks,

Life got in the way and this is the first chance I've had to get back to everyone. Thanks for all the help offers.

Ray: Thanks for the ebay search. I figured I'd go there as a last resort, since I'd rather keep thing "in the family" so to speak.

Ralph: Thanks for the offer. I spoke with her and she would rather the disks stayed in my possession. I appreciate it.

Paul & Chris: I would much prefer a USB version to anything internal. And while I've had better luck than Paul with SCSI, I'd really rather not have to pop a card in my case for this. So if either of you would PM me and let me know what you have and are willing to part with I'd be much obliged.

"Click of death" indeed. While looking in my garage I found one of those big Rubbermaid storage bins fill of old hardware (not a zip drive obviously) including a whole bunch of old hard drives (even several MFM 200 MB !!!) and a whole lot of other old computer "external" systems. Including my old reliable jury-rig where I snaked an extra long ribbon and power cable out a floppy slot so I could cold-swap hard drives. Ah those were the days. . .

John,
                John Strasser

Comment

Originally posted by John Strasser View Post
                  Hi Folks,

Life got in the way and this is the first chance I've had to get back to everyone. Thanks for all the help offers.

Ray: Thanks for the ebay search. I figured I'd go there as a last resort, since I'd rather keep thing "in the family" so to speak.

Ralph: Thanks for the offer. I spoke with her and she would rather the disks stayed in my possession. I appreciate it.

Paul & Chris: I would much prefer a USB version to anything internal. And while I've had better luck than Paul with SCSI, I'd really rather not have to pop a card in my case for this. So if either of you would PM me and let me know what you have and are willing to part with I'd be much obliged.

"Click of death" indeed. While looking in my garage I found one of those big Rubbermaid storage bins fill of old hardware (not a zip drive obviously) including a whole bunch of old hard drives (even several MFM 200 MB !!!) and a whole lot of other old computer "external" systems. Including my old reliable jury-rig where I snaked an extra long ribbon and power cable out a floppy slot so I could cold-swap hard drives. Ah those were the days. . .
                  if you get an AT version, you can use it with an external USB connector.
                  The world is strange and wonderful.*
                  I reserve the right to be horrifically wrong.
                  Please maintain a safe following distance.
                  *wonderful sold separately.

Comment

True. I forgot about that. And I have a connector. Thanks for reminding me Kurt
                    John,
                    John Strasser

Comment

Working...
                    X