MSGBOX "LOAD FAILED"
    EXIT FUNCTION
    END IF

GRAPHIC ATTACH BmpHndl, 0 '<----- ERROR 5 here
    GRAPHIC GET DC TO BmpDC

FN_PbLoadBitMap = BmpHndl
    END FUNCTION
    [code]

Most of the time this works. However, sometimes, although the file to load is valid and produces a handle, the attach fails.

Is there a way to trap error 5 other than "TRY" or "ON ERROR". Both of those do not work.

Walt Decker

GRAPHIC BITMAP LOAD BmpName$, 0, 0 TO BmpHndl,
    The above line should have the dimensions of the bitmap, not 0,0, methinks.
    Okay, on further reading maybe not.
    Try removing the $ from the name since it's declared without it in the call to the function.
    Rod
    I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

Comment

You can trap it by using #DEBUG DISPLAY ON and putting a couple of labels in the code.
      Rod
      I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

Comment

Mr. Hicks, I tried both your suggestions. Removing the "$" from the LOAD had no effect. Adding line numbers pointed to where the problem is, but does not let me resolve it. I need some kind of error trap to resolve the problem of change from the DDT "LOAD BITMAP" to the API "LOADIMAGE." The latter may be a better solution anyway.
        Walt Decker

Comment

Perhaps you don't need that line as the most recently created bitmap is automatically attached.
          Rod

Comment

I need that line because it may not be the most recently created bitmap.

The full app is capable of displaying a number of MDI clones, each of which has it's own bitmap. In WM_PAINT I load the appropriate bitmap, display it, then destroy the loaded bitmap.
            Walt Decker

Comment

In that function it is always the most recently developed bitmap, you might need it outside the function if you're going to make changes to the bitmap but for copying or stretching the target graphic window or control has to be attached.
              Rod

Comment

There is no GRAPHIC WINDOW or GRAPHIC CONTROL. I bitblt the bitmap to the surface of an MDI-clone. As soon as that is accomplished I :

Code:
                FUNCTION FN_PbDestroyBitMap(BmpHndl AS DWORD, BmpDc AS DWORD) AS LONG

IF BmpHndl < 1 THEN
                    BmpHndl = 0
                    BmpDC = 0
                    FUNCTION = 1
                    EXIT FUNCITON
                END IF

GRAPHIC ATTACH BmpHnd, 0
                GRAPHIC BITMAP END

BmpHndl = 0
                BmpDc = 0
                FUNCTION = 1
                END FUNCTION
                The thing that is failing is the GRAPHIC ATTACH; but not consistently.
                GRAPHIC LOAD is returning a handle. Whether the handle is valid I haven't a clue because I can not trap the error 5 unless I but in a debug break just before it and then physically step through the attach.

I think I will just re-write the function to use loadimage and be done with it.
                Walt Decker

Comment

I use the label system with #DEBUG DISPLAY lots and it works pretty good. I don't recall an instance of it not working. I have gone so far as to put a label every second line, which I would do in that small function. However, in the absence of compilable code, I put your load function into an existing program an made the following changes. Added the bitmap handle as a parameter, commented out the declare in the load function. I just copied the loaded bitmaps to my graphic control since I didn't have your setup.
                  '
                  Code:
                  FUNCTION FN_PbLoadBitMap(BYVAL BmpName AS STRING, BmpDc AS DWORD, bmphndl AS DWORD) AS DWORD

'LOCAL BmpHndl AS DWORD

IF ISFILE(BmpName) = 0 THEN EXIT FUNCTION

GRAPHIC BITMAP LOAD BmpName, 0, 0 TO BmpHndl

IF BmpHndl = 0 THEN
                  MSGBOX "LOAD FAILED"
                  EXIT FUNCTION
                  END IF

GRAPHIC ATTACH BmpHndl, 0 '<----- ERROR 5 here
                  GRAPHIC GET DC TO BmpDC

FN_PbLoadBitMap = BmpHndl
                  END FUNCTION
                  '
                  However, when I commented out the GRAPHIC ATTACH in the load function the images were copied but only the first image's bmpDC came through. the following bmpDCs were all zero, so the GRAPHIC ATTACH is necessary for the graphic DC. It never failed to copy the images or produced an error. The bmphndl came through without the GRAPHIC ATTACH.
                  Rod

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Hicks.

It is no big deal. I have changed the function to use loadimage and it appears to work fine.

I would post the code, but it is fairly long.

I am updating the mdi-clone code I posted in the source code forum several years ago. Just thought I would use the PB run-times instead of the API.
                    Walt Decker

Comment

Well, Walt, the thing I learned from this is that the most recently created bitmap doesn't seem to attach the whole 'stream'. At least not every time. Don't know why the handle would be good but the DC not.

I'm happy, but I was more happy when ignorant of that!
                      Rod

Comment

Perhaps it is a PB compiler thing. I know that the handle returned by LOAD BITMAP cannot be used with getdc() API.
                        Walt Decker

Comment

I did not look real carefully so this may not be your specific difficulty, but the handle returned by the PB "BITMAP LOAD" or other 'DDT' image functions is proprietary and therefore not usable by WinAPI functions. (And vice-versa). (See #17 by Walt Decker.. this is an expansion of same).

MCM
                          Michael Mattias
                          Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
                          Racine WI USA
                          [email protected]
                          http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Working...
                          X