WIN32.HLP Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN32.HLP Problem

Downloaded WIN32.HLP and loaded it sucessfully. When I select FIND for the first time it creates a WORD database. During this procedure it eventually gives me a Page Fault in module KERNEL32.DLL. Anybody have any suggestions?

There have been no other reports of similar problems, and that file has been downloaded from out FTP site thousands of times.

Have you searched over at the MSKB? The page fault suggests a problem is occuring in Windows help engine. You did not specify which O/S you are using, nor if you tried in on another PC. If you are running Win98, then the upgrade to Win98SE may be in order.

One more idea... delete the "hidden" WIN32.GID file and try the word search again.

-------------
    Lance
    PowerBASIC Support
    ( mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A> )
    Lance
    mailto:[email protected]

Comment

I'm running Windows 98SE with all the latest updates. All my other HLP files work correctly including the Find program. I really think the problem is with the WIN32.HLP files. I will attempt to re-download them again but it is a very large download.

Comment

Lee --

There has been a number of posts regarding this in the past, but never a solution offered. I fought with this for months before getting the help file from other sources. The one from http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/ should work fine!

BTW, last week I downloaded ALL the updates for Win98 and now the PB download works as well!

-- Bob

Comment

I would suspect that if the file itself was corrupted, then the "ZIP" utility you used to decompress the file from WIN32.ZIP would have noted that there was a checksum error.

WIN32.HLP is provided as a courtesy only, and because it is licenced from Microsoft we are unable to modify the file. Because the vast majority of downloaders are using the help file without problem, our suspicions continue to point to a Windows installation problem as the most likely cause, as Bob Benson has just related.

-------------
          Lance
          PowerBASIC Support
          Lance

Comment

I too can confirm this problem.
            For me it began to occur when I downloaded the latest version after it was changed to allow users of PBCC 2.0 to extract the help file.
            When I copied the older version that I downloaded in Apr 99 the GPF did not occur.
            Unfortunately I did not run a binary compare on the two help files.

I just downloaded the version that Mr. Benson mentioned and it worked fine.
            this version is a whopping 19,564KB uncompressed.

Joe Murphy

Comment

I have the same problem with "Find" (Win98SE). May be Microsoft has new variant ?

Comment

Joseph, AFAIK only the "installer" app was changed, not the actual HLP file, so that was more than likely to be coincidence.

I'll ask R&D if they are aware of any issues that I'm not privvy to.

-------------
                Lance
                PowerBASIC Support
                Lance

Comment

Lance (an everyone),

I've d/loaded the WIN32 file off PB's FTP site 3 times and attempted to install it under Win95 REV2 and Win98SE to no avail! This AM I d/loaded the one from the site Bob Benson suggested and it works!

This may sound harsh but don't 'ask' R&D TELL them! Excetivness is the key here! <grin>

C'ya,

C'ya
                  Don

http://www.ImagesBy.me

Comment

The WIN32 help file on our FTP site is the one supplied to us by Microsoft for distribution to our customers.

It is a few years old and therefore it's possible that the newer help engines are having a problem with it.

I have contacted Microsoft to see if there is a newer version of the help file that we can distribute. I am doubtful, however, since Microsoft has moved away from putting SDK information in .HLP files. They are now using their MSDN engine to disitribute the SDK info.

Supposedly, the help file on our FTP site does work with the latest help engine distributed with the HTML Help Workshop downloadable from the MSDN web site. I've not personallly tried it, but I was told that it works by someone at Microsoft.

--Dave

-------------
                    PowerBASIC Support
                    mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Home of the BASIC Gurus
                    www.basicguru.com

Comment

I have the HTML help engine installed in Win95 (dual boot with Win2000). I've not had to reinstall the help file, but I have erased and rebuilt the FIND index on both platforms successfully. Methinks it's more of a Win98 issue... maybe installing the HTML help engine would be a good experiment... anyone keen to try?

-------------
                      Lance
                      PowerBASIC Support
                      Lance

Comment

Lance --
                        HTMLhelp don't helps, at least in Win98SE and Win95 OSR 2.
                        Under Win2000 "Find" really works.
                        Do you have Win95a or b ?

Comment

Ok folks, we've made the original 8Mb WIN32HLP.ZIP file available again, and the 5Mb version is now named win32hlp.zip.new

If you are having trouble with the newer "compressed" 5Mb version, download the original 8Mb version and install it instead.

Original version 8Mb ftp://ftp.powerbasic.com/pub/mstools/win32hlp.zip
                          New version 5Mb ftp://ftp.powerbasic.com/pub/mstools/win32hlp.zip.new

-------------
                          Lance
                          PowerBASIC Support
                          Lance

Comment

There are actually two problems with help files/WINHLP32.EXE.

The WINHLP32 that comes with Win95 has also problems with other help files, i.e. the VB5 help file. You could fix that by using the WINHLP32.EXE that comes along with Win NT.

Than the NT-WINHELP32 crashed on 3 different machines running Win95 when trying to create the index database for the WIN32API.HLP (as Lee pointed out). After my machine at the office was upgraded (more memory and Win NT) the index creation wroked as expected. So there also seems to be a memory/system (kernel32.dll) problem, too. Can't comment on Win98, though...

Knuth

[This message has been edited by Knuth Konrad (edited January 02, 2000).]

Comment

Lance, just so you'll know. I have the same problem with FIND and the Win32.hlp file. Even with the 8 meg version you mention.

My system is Win98 SE2.

-- tom cone

Comment

Ditto for me too,

It seems Win98 can't handle Large help files

The problem happens on each test...

P166 / WIN98
                                P233 / WIN98
                                P350 / WIN98

...but my MSDN HTML Library works ok on all systems, possibly an IE Bug?

-------------
                                Kev G Peel
                                KGP Software
                                Bridgwater, UK.
                                mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's interesting because the help file is a Microsoft creation, and the problems seems to be mainly isolated to Win98/98SE. I have no problems with Win2K or Win95.

I'll ask R&D if they have anymore ideas, but the problem does seem to be one of those wierd "O/S issues"

-------------
                                  Lance
                                  PowerBASIC Support
                                  Lance

Comment

Working...
                                  X