Compiler v4.

I have the following code which I'd like to convert but having
    problems with.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Adam Wright
    T:+44(0)1527 893666
    F:+44(0)1527 893601

thepass$=TRIM$(fnDecodeit$(MID$(user$(uc),32,10)))
    def fnDecodeIt$(s$)
    p$=""
    FOR x=1 TO LEN(s$)
    a=ASC(MID$(s$,x,1))
    p$=p$+CHR$(a-128)
    NEXT
    fnDecodeIt$=p$
    END def

FUNCTION SaveScreen$
    reg 1,15*256
    CALL interrupt &H10
    IF reg(1)-(reg(1)\256)*256=7 THEN address=&HB000 ELSE address=&HB800
    def seg=address
    SaveScreen$=PEEK$(0,4000)
    def seg
    END FUNCTION

SUB RestoreScreen(S$)
    reg 1,15*256
    CALL interrupt &H10
    IF reg(1)-(reg(1)\256)*256=7 THEN Address=&HB000 ELSE Address=&HB800
    def seg=address
    POKE$ 0,s$
    def seg
    END SUB

restore DataFormat
    FOR df=1 TO 28
    READ ti(df),tl(df),tmp$:IF cflag=1 THEN tmp$=LEFT$(tc$(df)+SPACE$(tl(df)),tl(df))
    tc$(df)=tmp$
    IF tc$(df)="" THEN tc$(df)=SPACE$(tl(df))
    NEXT

DataFormat:
    DATA 1,30,"###########@ " 'numfmt
    DATA 1,30,"###########@ " 'display fmt
    DATA 2,30,"" 'start
    DATA 2,30,"" 'stop
    DATA 4,1 ,"B" 'cd
    DATA 6,1 ,"Y" 'miss nos.
    DATA 2,10,"" 'box qty
    DATA 2,10,"" 'sub qty
    DATA 2,10,"" 'pall qty
    DATA 2,10,"1 " 'Start Box
    DATA 2,10,"1 " 'Start Pallet
    DATA 3,1 ,"Y" 'Forward No.
    DATA 1,30,"" 'Ord Num
    DATA 1,30,"" 'Cus Num
    DATA 1,30,"" 'Design
    DATA 1,30,"" 'Size
    DATA 3,1 ,"Y" 'Show Prod date
    DATA 3,1 ,"Y" 'Show Logo flag
    DATA 5,1 ,"B" 'Special text
    DATA 1,70,"" 'info 1
    DATA 1,70,"" 'info 2
    DATA 1,70,"" 'info 3
    DATA 1,22,"" 'address 1
    DATA 1,22,"" 'address 2
    DATA 1,22,"" 'address 3
    DATA 1,22,"" 'address 4
    DATA 1,30,"" 'unit of Issue
    DATA 1,30,"" 'Pack configuration

------------------
    TWS
    TWS

Converting that code will require a complete rewrite. It isn't so much a "compiler" thing as an "operating system" thing. Unlike DOS, Windows does not allow programs to access the screen buffer directly. In Windows, all of the hardware is "abstracted" and you must use what are called API Functions to perform virtually all hardware-related operations like that.

So there is no way to directly convert things like CALL INTERRUPT, DEF SEG, and REG calls to a Windows language like PBCC or PB/Win.

Take a step back and ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish. For example, it appears that you need to save and restore console screens, and display some screens based on DATA statements. I'd suggest searching the BBS (primarily the Source Code forum) for key words like save, restore, etc. You might also try things like SaveScreen because they are likely to be used.

It is also likely that people will post responses to this thread, pointing out specific sample programs that you can use, but you are far more likely to get a useful response if you post specifically what you need to accomplish rather than "I need code that does what this old DOS code does". In other words, you'll get better answers if you make it easier for people to help you. Lots of people here have never used DEF SEG, etc. so you'll be better off describing your goals, not the old way you used to do it. Depending on what you need to do, you may be able to accomplish it with built-in functions like PCOPY, without resorting to API functions.

I would also like to mention that my company publishes a product called Console Tools, which is a large collection of functions that are designed to make transitioning from DOS to PBCC quite a bit easier. It does, in fact, provide a save-screen and restore-screen system, the ability to simulate screen buffer PEEKs/POKEs, and lots of other things that you might find useful. For more info, click on one of the links below.

-- Eric Pearson, Perfect Sync Software

------------------
    Perfect Sync Development Tools
    Perfect Sync Web Site
    Contact Us: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by Eric Pearson (edited June 01, 2005).]
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Looking further at your code, I see some other things that will need to be addressed.

When you start a PB/DOS program, it begins with the first line of code in your program. Again, because of Windows conventions, PB/CC and PB/Win programs don't start with the first line, they always begin by calling a function called WinMain (or the alias PBMain). You will need to reorganize your code so that your "main" code is located in WinMain, and all of your other SUBs and FUNCTIONs are located outside WinMain.

Also, DEF FN is no longer supported, but you can accomplish exactly the same thing by defining a FUNCTION.

I'd suggest reviewing the PB/CC Help File section titled "Appendix B - Upgrading from DOS" for a good overview of the changes you'll need to make.

-- Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric Pearson (edited June 01, 2005).]
      "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Well, functions SaveScreen and RestoreScreen are not used in your program, so they can be 'converted' by deleting them. Just as well, too, because those 16-bit BIOS interrupts aren't going to work anyway.

But... assuming you simply forgot to post the code where these functions are desired, take a look at PCOPY, PAGE and maybe even closer to what your MS-DOS code does, the SCREEN and SCREENATTR functions (allows you to save the screen contents to a buffer you define; PCOPY+PAGE allows you to save to/restore from a buffer provided by the compiler).

...on the READ statements, find DATA and READ$ in the help file. There's no RESTORE, but since DATA are LOCAL to a prodedure, you can simply create a separate procedure (SUB or FUNCTION) for each RESTORE point in your original program.

MCM
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems (retired)
        Port Washington WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the help & advice and yes the code was just a snippet from
          from the main program.

I've also encountered another issue ref the locate command, does anyone know an
          equivalent in cc4

IF ins=1 THEN LOCATE,,,5,13 ELSE LOCATE,,,13,13

Regards

Adam Wright
          T:+44(0)1527 893666
          F:+44(0)1527 893601

------------------
          TWS
          TWS

Comment

Your PB/CC help file (well, my version 3.03 help file anyway) contains Appendix B, Converting From DOS; and the MS-DOS LOCATE function and how it differs from the PB/CC LOCATE is discussed there.

My help file does not have an 'index' entry for "converting" or "MS-*" or "DOS".. you kind of have to hunt .. but using the help file's search facility on LOCATE will get your there. So will the index entry for LOCATE; that gets you to both the PB/CC LOCATE and the 'Converting from DOS' entry.

Michael Mattias
            Tal Systems (retired)
            Port Washington WI USA
            [email protected]
            http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

The "far end" parameters for LOCATE have to do with changing the cursor
              size, or "caret" as it's called now. I think PB/CC has a CURSOR command
              for that, although I'm a bit rusty on the subject. It looks like your
              code is aiming to switch from a half-sized caret to a full-sized caret,
              or versa vice, when the INSERT key is pressed.

------------------
              Tom Hanlin, PowerBASIC Staff
              Opinions expressed may not be those of my employer or myself

Comment

DEF FN doesn't exist in PBcc/PBwin but you should be able to
                name the function

FUNCTION fndecodeit$(st$) AS STRING
                without any problems.

Or perhaps just
                FUNCTION fndecodeit(st$) AS STRING

which will make the editing a little less for the conversion

------------------
                Client Writeup for the CPA

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by Fred Buffington (edited June 06, 2005).]
                Client Writeup for the CPA

buffs.proboards2.com

Links Page

Comment

Working...
                X