X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G Grant
    replied
    POSITIVE UPDATE with PBCC 5.0

Well, I just got my version of PB/CC 5.0, and reran this same test code, and it now works FLAWLESSLY!!! Thank you PowerBASIC.

In addition to that, there is now the GRAPHIC INKEY$ command, meaning there's no longer any need to even switch focus to the console window to get keyboard input. Quite the bonus!!!!

Again, thank you very much.

Leave a comment:

• G Grant
    replied
    You DID send an email request for said official comment to [email protected], right?

This forum is not a venue for 'official' support... it is a venue for Peer Support only.

MCM
    Ah, my bad. I apologize. I'll get on that. Thanks for the heads up.

If you make a compiled EXE available (I haven't the 4.x version of PB/CC) I will be happy to try on my machine too (iMac, with ATI video card).
    Thanks, Marco. I PM'ed you.

Leave a comment:

• Marco Pontello
    replied
    Originally posted by G Grant View Post
    I'm using PBCC 4.04, and an ATI card also.
    If you make a compiled EXE available (I haven't the 4.x version of PB/CC) I will be happy to try on my machine too (iMac, with ATI video card).

Bye!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    >Well, its been a couple of days, and no official response yet.
    >Thus the request for some official input

You DID send an email request for said official comment to [email protected], right?

This forum is not a venue for 'official' support... it is a venue for Peer Support only.

MCM

Leave a comment:

• G Grant
    replied
    Joe, while I agree that this does seem to point to some kind of incompatibility between PBCC and my ATI driver (and I could be wrong on that), I've not seen any other issues with my driver and any other software.
    In fact, I've got other software that asks for keyboard input from a graphics window, and there's no problem at all.
    And I certainly couldn't ask everyone that has an ATI card to change their hardware so that any program I might create will work on their machine. That would be unreasonable.

I've tried different driver versions, same result. And others with different model ATI video cards have the same issue. They probably have different drivers too. Right now I'm using the latest ATI driver.

If my video card can work so flawlessly with all other software that I've tried, I don't see why it can't work without issue with PBCC.
    In addition to that, if PBCC can work with nVidia and Intel graphics, I don't see why it can't work just as well with ATI.

But the bottom line at this point is, I don't really know WHAT the problem is. Thus the request for some official input.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Byrne
    replied
    Any official input would be appreciated.
    It seems pretty obvious to me that this is an issue with the ATI driver, not a PB problem. IMO then, any "official word" would have to come from ATI, no?

I mean really, think about it. If a piece of hardware I have causes MS Office (for example) to crash, is it MS problem? I'm 99.99999% sure they'd send me a polite response to change hardware, or contact the hardware manufacturer. In fact, that seems to be the message you see when there is a driver conflict and Windows crashes.

Leave a comment:

• G Grant
    replied
    Well, its been a couple of days, and no official response yet.

So.......... is there a possible fix for this? Maybe a workaround? Anything in the works?

Do I need to change some settings in my video driver? They're all set to pretty much standard settings, for ATI.
    I'm out of ideas at this point, since nothing I do on my PC makes a difference, short of removing my video driver (not an option).

Any official input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Sergio Tallone
    replied
    Same problem here, with ATI Radeon x600-256 MB RAM, Pentium 4 3.20 GHz and XPPro SP2. The compiler is PBCC 4.04.

Bye

Sergio

Leave a comment:

• Guy Dombrowski
    replied
    System idle at 99%

Well,

I have a AMD X2-6000 with 2 gb DDR 800 and my
    VGA card is a 8800GT with 512 but my 2 CPU are showing
    50% to 60% usage ???

Same thing with INSTAT

If you add a SLEEP before the inkey$, the usage drop a lot

But it stopped nicely all the time

Leave a comment:

• Paul Dixon
    replied
    G,
    maybe it is something to do with the ATI card. I ran your original program on a different machine with Intel graphics and it worked in all version of PBCC I have from 4.01 upwards.
    Strange that my PC runs fine with everything except your program. I'd have thought any problems would have shown up well before now.
    Maybe I should try updating the driver and see what hapens.

Paul.

Leave a comment:

• G Grant
    replied
    I'm using PBCC 4.04, and an ATI card also.

I tried using just the windows generic driver, and the program responded instantly to a key press. BUT, the graphics were extremely slow, as would be expected, so that's not even an option.
    To me, what this seems to indicate is that there's some kind of buffering going on in the video driver, and the buffered graphics have to finish rendering before console input can be read? Just guessing here, but it seems like something along those lines.

But if, as you say, this was an issue in the past, then maybe this is a known issue that slipped back in, and can be fixed in an update.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Dixon
    replied
    I have an ATI ASUS Radeon A9200SE but I don't think that's the problem.

Which compiler version are you using? (Compile the program and it'll tell you).
    With PBCC4.01 your program runs fine here.

I'm sure there was an issue some time ago with the graphics being slow because after each graphic operation the remainder of the timeslice was relinquished so a program could only perform 1 graphic operation per CPU timeslice even though this meant wasting 99% of the available processing during that time slice. Effectively, there was a built in SLEEP 1 after each operation.
    PB introduced some change which corrected this by not relinquishing any timeslice and it caused graphics to hog the CPU so much that nothing else got a look in. That's what appears to be happening now.
    It was fixed properly by PBCC4.01.

Paul.

Leave a comment:

• G Grant
    replied
    I see the same problem of sluggish response compounded by my PC crashing and losing the video card driver which it still can't find even after a reboot!
    The PC doesn't just become unresponsive, it becomes unuseable with not even the Task Manager being able to function properly.
    A different version of the compiler (PBCC4.01) does work.

I'll look into it further but I'm have trouble tracking the problem down as the PC has a tendancy to crash every time I try out the program.

Paul.

Hmm, that is very strange, especially for such a simple, straightforward program. This might be video driver related, which would explain why it works correctly on some PCs, but not on others. I will try uninstalling my driver and just run a generic windows driver and see what happens.

What video card and driver do you have?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    PB/CC 4.03.. compiles and runs clean,instant stop on keypress.
    Windows XP/SP2 all updates.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Dixon
    replied
    I see the same problem of sluggish response compounded by my PC crashing and losing the video card driver which it still can't find even after a reboot!
    The PC doesn't just become unresponsive, it becomes unuseable with not even the Task Manager being able to function properly.
    A different version of the compiler (PBCC4.01) does work.

I'll look into it further but I'm have trouble tracking the problem down as the PC has a tendancy to crash every time I try out the program.

Paul.

Leave a comment:

• keith shelton
    replied
    Using xp pro on an amd x2 4400 system with 2gb ram, the response is instant.
    KS

Leave a comment:

• Mel Bishop
    replied
    >>>...System Idle at 99%...<<<
    On my system, the process bounces between the high 80's and low 90's in CPU usage with the idle process at zero.

I can't think, for the life of me, what could be going on in your box to cause a 99% idle time.

Leave a comment:

• G Grant
    replied
    Ok, sounds like the problem is definitely on my PC.

Thank you both for verifying this for me. At least now I know where to look for the problem.

Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnes
    replied
    Hi,
    I tested the code also and keypresses are instantly detected.
    P4 3.2Ghz with 2Gb Ram, XP SP2
    Regards

Leave a comment:

• G Grant
    replied
    Nothing. Several processes running, but all at 0% usage. System Idle at 99%.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X