How do you get rid of ERROR 496?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lynn,

try what Steve suggested: boot up in safe mode, compile, run, stop the app, compile again. I'll bet you want experience the error. If that's true, you "only" need to go through all your autostart objects (services, folder "Startup") and look for the culprit.

Comment

Do you have more than one dialog in the program and do not end one of them? That dialog will keep running when you close the main one and cause this.
      Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Erick View Post
        Do you have more than one dialog in the program and do not end one of them? That dialog will keep running when you close the main one and cause this.
        Barry,
        He supplied the source. It compiles and runs fine here and it appears everywhere but on his machines.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn Wakefield View Post
          Maybe I should put my source code into the default PPCC4.04 Directory? Can you tell me what is the default directory?
          There is no default directory for PBCC. Have your tried moving your code to a different directory and see if the problem persists? Do you have another system you can test this on?

Strange that only this program, not any others exhibit this behavior. I am not really sure what to suggest, other than looking at other processes on this system. What occurred when you booted into safe mode and compiled?
          Sincerely,

Steve Rossell
          PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Repeat:
            Originally posted by Dale Yarker View Post
            What is the entire path to SudokuConsole.bas?
            And entire path to PBCC.exe?
            I seem to remember having a similar problem with PBWin 7.xx and PBCC 3.xx on one PC.

Made a PB directory on root C: with PBWin and PBCC subdirectories, and reinstalled. (avoiding the \Program Files\blah\...\blah\PBWin7\bin\...)

Similar for .bas files. On root made directory \PB_Projects\ with subdirectory for files of each project. (avoiding the docs and settings\username\...\...\...\My Documents\...\ nonsense.)

The IDE didn't have a problem with long paths, but compiler did.

The clue I'm going by is that shorter file name works. I'm making WAG that full path with SudokuConsole.bas is more than 256 characters.

added: Also avoiding directory names with spaces. (Yeah, I know spaces shouldn't be a problem anymore, but ...)
            Last edited by Dale Yarker; 14 Feb 2008, 09:51 AM. Reason: add
            Dale

Comment

How do you get rid of ERROR 496? Reply to Thread

Thanks to all for your help. I think we can end this thread. I installed the 'Unlocker" program. Then ran my Sudoku_Console program twice to get error #496. Then I right clicked on the EXE file, then clicked on Unlocker and found 2 Spybot programs running with the file. So I closed down Spybot and no more error #496's!!!
              Thanks again, now I can go on to programming!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn Wakefield View Post
                TSo I closed down Spybot and no more error #496's!!!

If I may quote myself from my first posting in this thread:
                Virus scanner/other security tools may also prevent the EXE from unloading.

Comment

You might have a problem if you have "filename.bas" #INCLUDEing "filename.inc" where "filename" is the same. I know some funky things can happen when you do that, I think it may have something to do with the automatic *.bak files the IDE creates.

(FWIW I sent in a NFS to allow user to specify the file extension to be used when creating backup of any file... because regardless of what happens, in the example I gave you would end up with only one "filename.BAK" which might be either the "main" or the "included" file.... not good, since one of those file's backups is now gone forever).
                  Michael Mattias
                  Tal Systems (retired)
                  Port Washington WI USA
                  [email protected]
                  http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

n/m

Comment

Working...
                    X