• Show
Clear All

• Brice Manuel
    Guest replied
    n/m

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    You might have a problem if you have "filename.bas" #INCLUDEing "filename.inc" where "filename" is the same. I know some funky things can happen when you do that, I think it may have something to do with the automatic *.bak files the IDE creates.

(FWIW I sent in a NFS to allow user to specify the file extension to be used when creating backup of any file... because regardless of what happens, in the example I gave you would end up with only one "filename.BAK" which might be either the "main" or the "included" file.... not good, since one of those file's backups is now gone forever).

Leave a comment:

• Knuth Konrad
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynn Wakefield View Post
    TSo I closed down Spybot and no more error #496's!!!

If I may quote myself from my first posting in this thread:
    Virus scanner/other security tools may also prevent the EXE from unloading.

Leave a comment:

• Lynn Wakefield
    replied
    How do you get rid of ERROR 496? Reply to Thread

Thanks to all for your help. I think we can end this thread. I installed the 'Unlocker" program. Then ran my Sudoku_Console program twice to get error #496. Then I right clicked on the EXE file, then clicked on Unlocker and found 2 Spybot programs running with the file. So I closed down Spybot and no more error #496's!!!
    Thanks again, now I can go on to programming!

Leave a comment:

• Dale Yarker
    replied
    Repeat:
    Originally posted by Dale Yarker View Post
    What is the entire path to SudokuConsole.bas?
    And entire path to PBCC.exe?
    I seem to remember having a similar problem with PBWin 7.xx and PBCC 3.xx on one PC.

Made a PB directory on root C: with PBWin and PBCC subdirectories, and reinstalled. (avoiding the \Program Files\blah\...\blah\PBWin7\bin\...)

Similar for .bas files. On root made directory \PB_Projects\ with subdirectory for files of each project. (avoiding the docs and settings\username\...\...\...\My Documents\...\ nonsense.)

The IDE didn't have a problem with long paths, but compiler did.

The clue I'm going by is that shorter file name works. I'm making WAG that full path with SudokuConsole.bas is more than 256 characters.

added: Also avoiding directory names with spaces. (Yeah, I know spaces shouldn't be a problem anymore, but ...)
    Last edited by Dale Yarker; 14 Feb 2008, 09:51 AM. Reason: add

Leave a comment:

• Steve Rossell
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynn Wakefield View Post
    Maybe I should put my source code into the default PPCC4.04 Directory? Can you tell me what is the default directory?
    There is no default directory for PBCC. Have your tried moving your code to a different directory and see if the problem persists? Do you have another system you can test this on?

Strange that only this program, not any others exhibit this behavior. I am not really sure what to suggest, other than looking at other processes on this system. What occurred when you booted into safe mode and compiled?

Leave a comment:

• jcfuller
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry Erick View Post
    Do you have more than one dialog in the program and do not end one of them? That dialog will keep running when you close the main one and cause this.
    Barry,
    He supplied the source. It compiles and runs fine here and it appears everywhere but on his machines.

James

Leave a comment:

• Barry Erick
    replied
    Do you have more than one dialog in the program and do not end one of them? That dialog will keep running when you close the main one and cause this.

Leave a comment:

• Knuth Konrad
    replied
    Lynn,

try what Steve suggested: boot up in safe mode, compile, run, stop the app, compile again. I'll bet you want experience the error. If that's true, you "only" need to go through all your autostart objects (services, folder "Startup") and look for the culprit.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnes
    replied
    Hi Lynn,
    I compiled your code and ran the program several times without any errors.
    I initially thought that the problem might lie in the program not shutting down properly and thus locking the executable.
    If this was the case then the compiler would not be able to write the new exe file to disk and thus generate an error.
    So I am confident that the problem may not be in your code.
    May I suggest that you install something like process lasso (free download from Bitsum Technologies) in order to see what is actually running on your computer. Maybe there is another process intervening.
    Also another utility called "unlocker" will show you if another program has somehow grabbed your executable, maybe anti malware or anti virus software or even some windows process.
    Is there more information?
    For example does this problem occur after you have printed something?
    Or are you exiting via the close window button instead of pressing 'esc'?
    At least if you use process lasso it will tell you if your program is still in memory when you attempt to recompile it.
    Another thing to try is to wait for ten or twenty seconds before recompiling, maybe for some reason your program is taking a long time to shut down.
    I mention this because I have written applications that didn't close properly until a thread had closed. This may be unlikely because the programs that I wrote were testing the com ports in a thread and until that process had finished the application couldn't properly unload (sloppy programming on my part), also there are no threads in your code.
    I hope that this helps you in some way.
    I know how frustrating it can be when a program can't be tamed properly
    Best Regards

Leave a comment:

• Fred Buffington
    replied
    Wasn't there something in older versions (i dont know about the newer ones) where the exe name was limited to 8 characters ? That may not be a problem but thought id mention it.

Leave a comment:

• Lynn Wakefield
    replied
    How do you get rid of ERROR 496?

jcfuller: I am using PBCC4.04

Steve If I creat or run other programs - - everything is OK.I had the Original SudokuConsole.bas down to an empty PBMAIN function and it still showed the #496 error, thats when I copied SudokuConsole.bas to Sud.bas then it worked ok. But I made some shanges in Sud.bas and now it won't work also. Maybe I should put my source code into the default PPCC4.04 Directory? Can you tell me what is the default directory?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Rossell
    replied
    You mentioned earlier that you remarked out every line and left only a blank PBMAIN function and still received error 496. But then you said that you need to remove some subs? Does this problem occur if you have only an empty PBMAIN function? What if you create a new program located in a different directory with a different name, does the problem still occur?

Leave a comment:

• jcfuller
    replied
    Lynn,
    What version of PBCC?

James

Leave a comment:

• Dale Yarker
    replied
    What is the entire path to SudokuConsole.bas?
    And entire path to PBCC.exe?

Leave a comment:

• Lynn Wakefield
    replied
    How do you get rid of ERROR 496?

Hubert, I am running windows XP.
    I disabled Avast (virus program) - no help.

Guy, I searched and only found duplicates in the windows\prefetch directory.

I also have another computer in my garage running windows XP. Tried the program SudokuConsole.bas on it with the same results (error #496) after compiling it the 2nd time.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Dombrowski
    replied
    Error 496

Lynn,

Try a search with test.* and SodokuConsole.*
    I am willing to bet that you will find a bunch of them and
    what you have is a PATH problem

Leave a comment:

• Knuth Konrad
    replied
    What about AV software? Have you any "protective" programs running? If so, try disabling them and see if you experience the same problems.

Leave a comment:

• Hubert Brandel
    replied
    Could you tell us something about the program / windows version you use ?

I would do a system check with anti virus software and a filesystem check.
    Last edited by Hubert Brandel; 13 Feb 2008, 02:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lynn Wakefield
    replied
    How do you get rid of ERROR 496? Reply to Thread

Steve --- This is crazy, I renamed 'SudokuConsole.bas to Sud.bas for testing purposes (I was going to start removing subs, etc to see if that solved the proplem, guess what! Sud.bas runs fine. I tried renaming Sud.bas to Sudoku.bas - same problem! I tried "copy of SudokuConsole.bas" -- wont work. Renamed it back to Sud.bas -- works fine. Any ideas? I tried renaming the file to Test.bas -- error #496! Renamed it back to Sud.bas and it runs fine!
    Lynn

Leave a comment:

Working...
X