Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Arie Verheul, About : Intelligent search function for WinApi include files - for P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arie Verheul
    replied
    The scalpel or the Swiss pocket knife ?

Hi Herman,

Thank you for your comment.

I tried your application "Digit", and I will probably use it in the future for certain purposes,
    but it is not exactly what i had in mind. Digit is a general purpose search application.
    I wanted something much more specific, that could show me quickly a neat list of possible
    options asscociated with a given search term, with as few additional instructions as possible.
    Due to this specific approach it is much faster than a general purpose tool, both in terms of
    processing time as in terms of handling time.

Whether the absence of menus and/or buttons should be considered as a drawback or a bonus is
    in my opinion very much a matter of taste. All those controls take up a lot of screen space
    that otherwise could serve to present output. Personally i am not really addicted to the
    Windows style, and because of its simplicity the console does for me in many cases a good job,
    especially if the application is not intended for a general user, but rather for experts.

It is not really relevant in this context, but Digit causes for me (under XP) every now and
    then a GPF. It would be useful if you could find out the cause of this.

Arie Verheul

Leave a comment:

• To Arie Verheul, About : Intelligent search function for WinApi include files - for P

Hi Arie,

doing things like that in a console screen makes it a bit awkward to
    navigate. I ran into the same thing years ago, and wrote Digit
    in the PB-Windows GUI version. Have a look at it :

http://kikozocom.xs4all.nl/pages/dow....php?subcat=1&

What was the first thing that helped us human beings to develop: TOOLS !!

Another $ 0.02

Herman.
Working...
X