DIR$ - Folder name with period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIR$ - Folder name with period

As part of a backup programme I extract a list of all folders on a hard drive and have always suspected that the list was not complete.

With some spare time at the moment I have revisited this and have found that the DIR$ function with the attribute set to 16, 17, 19 or 23 will not return a folder name that contains a period.

Microsoft KB article KB905231 states that a period in a folder name is legal and accessing the folder in DOS works.

If anyone can help with this one I would be obliged.

TIA
    Roy

Kind of an odd problem you got there. Wrote the following CC5 test code. Made sure my root directory contained a folder with a period in it and it works perfectly.
    Code:
    FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG
        mask$ = "c:\*.*"
        te$ = DIR$(mask$,16)
        DO UNTIL te$ = ""
        PRINT;te$
        te$ = DIR$
        LOOP
        WAITKEY$
        END FUNCTION
    How about a snippit of what you are using?
    There are no atheists in a fox hole or the morning of a math test.
    If my flag offends you, I'll help you pack.

Comment

Mel, thanks for reply.

I was using PBCC4 but upgraded to PBCC5 in case that was the issue and hence the delay.

I had been using a mask of "c:\*." but when I use your mask of "C:\*.*" I agree I now see the folder with the period but I am also seeing the one file in my route directory.

It seems to me that the DIR$ function is ignoring the attribute 16 and searching for folders when the mask is set to "*." and files when it is set to "*.*".

Am I missing something here?

TIA Roy

Comment

If you want ONLY folders in response to DIR$, you ONLY have to read the 5x doc...
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems (retired)
        Port Washington WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Personally, I think if you leave the closing quote off your mask string, you are creating a syntax error so your results should be undefined. After all, without the closing quote, there could be anything appended to the end of your mask string.
          Jeff Blakeney

Comment

In a simple assignment of a literal to a string variable, if no closing quote is found the compiler will infer that closing double-quote following the last non-space (non whitespace?) character of the line of source code.

I agree it should be a syntax error to leave it off; but it's not, and it's documented that it's not required.
            Michael Mattias
            Tal Systems (retired)
            Port Washington WI USA
            [email protected]
            http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Petrie View Post
              ...Am I missing something here?
              Well, maybe a little.

DIR$ searches everything in the folder.

A mask of "*." will return only file names/folders, ignoring any extensions.

A mask of "*.*" will search filenames AND extensions and return anything matching mask$,attribute.

Remember, windows "see's" folders as just another file name. It's all in the attribute associated with that name that makes the difference.
              There are no atheists in a fox hole or the morning of a math test.
              If my flag offends you, I'll help you pack.

Comment

Whoops. My eyes are going. I could have sworn I saw a "*.* where there is a "*.".
                Jeff Blakeney

Comment

Working...
                X