Embedding a photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedding a photo

Hi, people...101 in the shade down here...

How do we bring a photo into PBCC 6.03
    I don't see an insert or embed or anything that mentions JPEG files...
    Where in the help files is it?

Izzy

Thanx...

Comment

I do not believe PB/CC or PB/WIN include any "native" statements for handling JPEG files, meaning you ain't gonna find anything in the PB help files; but I know there are many examples here of code which displays them. Try a search on "jpeg" in the title in the source code forum. If that search proves less than fecund try searching full text in the source code forum for ".JPG" and ".JEPG" because I am certain someone assigns a literal to a file name variable in said code.
      Michael Mattias
      Tal Systems (retired)
      Port Washington WI USA
      [email protected]
      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Hmm, too bad it takes two extra clicks to find out "down here" where it is 101 degrees is Port Saint Lucie, FL.
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems (retired)
        Port Washington WI USA
        [email protected]

Comment

That included the heat factor... After my third heart attack, that is a most important number to me... Heart is working at just under 20%... Tough to breath...
          The heat factor today is 104... The temp is only 95...
          I did use the search yesterday, before I posted the problem... Although I didn't find what I needed, doesn't mean that it wasn't there... I just didn't see it...
          I thank everyone for their answers... Especially MM, who has always responded...

Comment

Thanx for all the help... I found out that a BMP is the best type to embed... This from a post in September 2015, by Roberto Valois...
            Izzy

Comment

Hi Izzy,

BMP is a lot less trouble. There are several other ways, the two I know are

1) Using the "cheat" of specifying a listview background image etc, but you need to write SDK-style window creation code to use a listview (Windows Class SYSLISTVIEW32, if you want to try it). There are several examples in the forums.

2) Using the GDIplus library. I think that the full headers are now only available from Jose Roca. But I captured the few declarations necessary to display a photo from an older set published by Patrice Terrier. I don't think they are still available. I adapted the code below from earlier code of mine on the source code forum. It seems to pick up a JPG when compiled with PBCC V5 or PBWin v10, I don't have PBCC 6.

Code:
              '#debug display
              #compile exe
              #dim all

#include "WIN32API.INC"

' steering
              '
              $picpath="c:\pics\busbust.jpg" '<========== change to your image
              '
              '==========================================================================
              '                                                      GDIPLUS DECLARATIONS
              ' borrowed from the GDIPlus header file published in the PowerBASIC forums
              ' by Patrice Terrier
              'GDIP CONSTANTS
              %QualityModeHigh = 2 ' Best rendering quality
              %UnitPixel      = 2 ' Each unit is one device pixel.
              '-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              '
              type GdiplusStartupInput
                 GdiplusVersion as dword             '// Must be 1
                 DebugEventCallback as dword         '// Ignored on free builds
                 SuppressBackgroundThread as long    '// FALSE unless you're prepared to call
                                                     '// the hook/unhook functions properly
                 SuppressExternalCodecs as long      '// FALSE unless you want GDI+ only to use
                                                     '// its internal image codecs.
              end type
              '
              '-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              '
              type GdiplusStartupOutput
              '  // The following 2 fields are NULL if SuppressBackgroundThread is FALSE.
              '  // Otherwise, they are functions which must be called appropriately to
              '  // replace the background thread.
              '  //
              '  // These should be called on the application's main message loop - i.e.
              '  // a message loop which is active for the lifetime of GDI+.
              '  // "NotificationHook" should be called before starting the loop,
              '  // and "NotificationUnhook" should be called after the loop ends.
                 NotificationHook as dword
                 NotificationUnhook as dword
              end type
              '
              'GDIP CONSTANTS
              %QualityModeHigh = 2       ' Best rendering quality
              %UnitPixel       = 2 ' Each unit is one device pixel.
              '--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              '
              type GdiplusStartupInput
                 GdiplusVersion as dword             '// Must be 1
                 DebugEventCallback as dword         '// Ignored on free builds
                 SuppressBackgroundThread as long    '// FALSE unless you're prepared to call
                                                     '// the hook/unhook functions properly
                 SuppressExternalCodecs as long      '// FALSE unless you want GDI+ only to use
                                                     '// its internal image codecs.
              end type

'
              '
              type GdiplusStartupOutput
              '  // The following 2 fields are NULL if SuppressBackgroundThread is FALSE.
              '  // Otherwise, they are functions which must be called appropriately to
              '  // replace the background thread.
              '  //
              '  // These should be called on the application's main message loop - i.e.
              '  // a message loop which is active for the lifetime of GDI+.
              '  // "NotificationHook" should be called before starting the loop,
              '  // and "NotificationUnhook" should be called after the loop ends.
                 NotificationHook as dword
                 NotificationUnhook as dword
              end type
              '

type ImageCodecInfo
                 ClassID as guid            '// CLSID. Codec identifier
                 FormatID as guid           '// GUID. File format identifier
                 CodecName as dword         '// WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                            '// that contains the codec name
                 DllName as dword           '// WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                            '// that contains the path name of the DLL in
                                            '// which the codec resides. If the codec is not
                                            '// a DLL, this pointer is NULL
                 FormatDescription as dword '// WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                            '// that contains the name of the format used by the codec
                 FilenameExtension as dword '// WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                            '// that contains all file-name extensions associated
                                            '// with the codec. The extensions are separated with semicolons.
                 MimeType as dword          '// WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                            '// that contains the mime type of the codec
                 Flags as dword             '// Combination of flags from the ImageCodecFlags enumeration
                 Version as dword           '// Integer that indicates the version of the codec
                 SigCount as dword          '// Integer that indicates the number of signatures
                                            '// used by the file format associated with the codec
                 SigSize as dword           '// Integer that indicates the number of bytes of each signature
                 SigPattern as dword        '// BYTE*. Pointer to an array of bytes that contains
                                            '// the pattern for each signature
                 SigMask as dword           '// BYTE*. Pointer to an array of bytes that contains
                                            '// the mask for each signature
              end type
              '
              declare function GdipSetInterpolationMode lib "gdiplus.dll" alias "GdipSetInterpolationMode" (byval graphics as long, byval interpolation as long) as long
              declare function GdipDrawImageRectI lib "gdiplus.dll" alias "GdipDrawImageRectI" (byval graphics as long, byval nImage as long, byval x as long, byval y as long, byval nWidth as long, byval Height as long) as long

declare function GdipGetImageWidth lib "gdiplus.dll" alias "GdipGetImageWidth" (byval nImage as long, nWidth as long) as long
              declare function GdipGetImageHeight lib "gdiplus.dll" alias "GdipGetImageHeight" (byval nImage as long, Height as long) as long

declare function GdipDeleteGraphics lib "gdiplus.dll" alias "GdipDeleteGraphics" (byval graphics as long) as long

declare function GdipGraphicsClear lib "gdiplus.dll" alias "GdipGraphicsClear" (byval graphics as long, byval lColor as long) as long
              declare function GdipCreateFromHDC lib "gdiplus.dll" alias "GdipCreateFromHDC" (byval hdc as long, graphics as long) as long

declare function GdipGetImagePixelFormat lib "gdiplus.dll" alias "GdipGetImagePixelFormat" _
                          (byval nImage as long, PixelFormat as long) as long
              declare function GdipGetImageDimension lib "gdiplus.dll" alias "GdipGetImageDimension" _
                          (byval nImage as long, nWidth as single, Height as single) as long
              declare function GdiplusStartup lib "GDIPLUS.DLL" alias "GdiplusStartup" _
                          (token as dword, inputbuf as GdiplusStartupInput, outputbuf as GdiplusStartupOutput) as long
              declare sub GdiplusShutdown lib "GDIPLUS.DLL" alias "GdiplusShutdown" _
                          (byval token as dword)
              declare function GdipLoadImageFromFile lib "GDIPLUS.DLL" alias "GdipLoadImageFromFile" _
                          (byval flname as string, lpImage as dword) as long
              declare function GdipDisposeImage lib "GDIPLUS.DLL" alias "GdipDisposeImage" _
                          (byval lpImage as dword) as long
              '                                                             GDIPLUS PROCS

' load the image file, returning the image handle
              function loadimagefile (picpath as string) as long
                   local limage as long
                  GDIPLoadImageFromFile ucode$(picPath), limage
                  '
                  if limage = 0 then
                      function = -1
                      exit function
                  end if
                  function = limage
              end function
              '
              '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              ' Computes location and size to stretch a bitmap preserving its aspect.
              '
              sub skIconise (byval xPic as long, byval yPic as long,            _ picture dimensions
                             byval xCell as long, byval yCell as long,          _ FRAME dimensions
                             byref xOfs as long, byref yOfs as long,            _ calc'd offset in frame
                             byref xSize as long, byref ySize as long) export   ' thumbnail dimensions
                local scale as single

if xPIC& then scale! = xCell& / xPic&
                  if scale! > 1 then scale! = 1
                  xSize& = xPic& * scale!: ySize& = yPic& * scale!
                ' In case Height > 150 compute new scale factor
                  if ySize& > yCell& then
                     if yPic& then scale! = yCell& / yPic&
                     xSize& = xPic& * scale!: ySize& = yPic& * scale!
                  end if
                  xOfs& = (xCell& - xSize&) \ 2
                  yOfs& = (yCell& - ySize&) \ 2
              end sub
              '-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
              ' 1st param is the window handle for the image window
              ' 2nd is DC is called for a WM_ERASEBKGND message, zero for a WM_PAINT message
              ' 3rd is image handle
              sub PaintW(hW as long, hDC as long, limage as long, pfont as dword, pformat as dword, pbrush as dword)
                  local ps as PAINTSTRUCT
                  local r, rpic as RECT
                  'local rf as rectf
                  local hG as dword
                  local tx, ty, framex, framey, l, ofsx, ofsy as long
                  local W, H as single
                  local s as string

'    hDC = hDCin
                  getclientrect(hW, r)
                  rpic = r
                  frameX = r.nRight - r.nLeft
                  frameY = r.nBottom - r.nTop
                  GdipGetImageDimension lImage, W, H
                  ' calculate coordinates to centre image in frame, retaining the original proportion
                  skIconise ( W, H, frameX, frameY, ofsX, ofsY, tX, tY)
                  if GdipCreatefromHDC ( hDC, hG) =  0 then
                      if hG <> 0 then
                         GDIpGraphicsClear hG, &HFFFF'   clear to white
                         if limage then
                             fillrect hDC, rpic, getstockobject(%gray_brush)
                             framerect hDC, rpic, getstockobject(%gray_brush)
                         end if
                         ' can also set smoothing mode, etc here
                         GdipSetInterpolationMode(hG, %QualityModeHigh)
                         GdipDrawImageRectI(hG, limage, r.nleft + ofsX, r.ntop + ofsY, tX, tY)
                         if hG <> 0 then gdipdeletegraphics hG
                      end if
                  end if
              end sub
              '                                                      END OF GDIPLUS STUFF
              '--------------------------------------------------------
              function pbmain () as long
                  local GW, hDC, lresult as long
                  local nstatus as long
                  local token as dword
                  local StartupInput as GdiplusStartupInput
                  local pbrush, pfont, pfontfamily, pformat as dword
                  local WW, HH as single
                  local sfont as string
                  local skey as string
                  local limage as long

freeconsole
                  if isfile($picpath) = 0 then
                      ' you have to supply an image path and it must be smaller than the desktop.
                      messagebox 0, "you have to supply an image path", "Fatal", %mb_taskmodal
                      exit function
                  end if
                  StartupInput.GdiplusVersion = 1
                  nStatus = GdiplusStartup(token, StartupInput, byval %NULL)
                  if nStatus then
                      messagebox 0, "Error initializing GDI+", "Warning", %mb_taskmodal
                      exit function
                  end if
              '
                  limage = loadimagefile ($picpath)
                  GdipGetImageDimension lImage, WW, HH

graphic window "test: ESC to exit", 0, 0, WW, HH to GW
                  graphic attach GW, 0, redraw
                  graphic window stabilize
                  graphic get dc to hDC
                  call paintW(gW, hDC, limage, pfont, pformat, pbrush)
                  graphic redraw
                  do
                      graphic waitkey$ to skey
                  loop until skey = $esc
                  '
                  graphic window end

if limage <> 0 then
                      lresult = gdipdisposeimage(limage)
                  end if
                  '
                  GdiplusShutdown token
                  graphic window normalize

end function

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Holbrook View Post
                2) Using the GDIplus library. I think that the full headers are now only available from Jose Roca. But I captured the few declarations necessary to display a photo from an older set published by Patrice Terrier. I don't think they are still available. I adapted the code below from earlier code of mine on the source code forum. It seems to pick up a JPG when compiled with PBCC V5 or PBWin v10, I don't have PBCC 6.
                I use the following stripped down file GDICut.inc that came from somewhere on these forums:

Code:
                '==================================================================================================
                '  GDI Plus includes for Loading images from file (eg .jpg) to/from PB Bitmaps     SM  3 Feb 2010
                '==================================================================================================
                ' Code below based on "" by Chris Holbrook PB Forums 3 Jan 2010, based on Jose Roca's work
                '
                ' When dealing with API's such as GDI plus the proper course of action is to grab the type library
                ' from Jose Roca's site (or others...) as an include, and all the functions will be available.
                ' The downside is that your compile time may well go through the roof, and you have no chance of
                ' browsing or understanding just HOW MUCH of that library is being used.  And because it basically
                ' supersedes the powerbasic libraries, things may get complicated when you upgrade.  Following the
                ' approach used by Chris Holbrook (and others...) a second method is to include this file, with
                ' just the stripped down declarations necessary to get the job done - about 2% of the original.
                '
                ' You need need to be able to find out about GDI plus, reference Jose Rocas site (link @ 2/2/2010)
                ' http://www.jose.it-berater.org/gdiplus/iframe/index.htm
                ' You also should have on hand a link to full type library from Jose Roca (link valid @ 2/2/2010)
                ' http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php?board=344.0
                '
                '--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                %UnitPixel = 2                          ' Sets each unit to be one device pixel
                '--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                '
                TYPE GdiplusStartupInput
                   GdiplusVersion AS DWORD             ' Must be 1
                   DebugEventCallback AS DWORD         ' Ignored on free builds
                   SuppressBackgroundThread AS LONG    ' FALSE unless you're prepared to call
                                                       ' the hook/unhook functions properly
                   SuppressExternalCodecs AS LONG      ' FALSE unless you want GDI+ only to use
                                                       ' its internal image codecs.
                END TYPE
                '
                TYPE GdiplusStartupOutput
                   NotificationHook AS DWORD
                   NotificationUnhook AS DWORD
                END TYPE
                '
                TYPE ImageCodecInfo
                   ClassID AS GUID            ' CLSID. Codec identifier
                   FormatID AS GUID           ' GUID. File format identifier
                   CodecName AS DWORD         ' WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                              '  that contains the codec name
                   DllName AS DWORD           ' WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                              '  that contains the path name of the DLL in
                                              '  which the codec resides. If the codec is not
                                              '  a DLL, this pointer is NULL
                   FormatDescription AS DWORD ' WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                              '  that contains the name of the format used by the codec
                   FilenameExtension AS DWORD ' WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                              '  that contains all file-name extensions associated
                                              '  with the codec. The extensions are separated with semicolons.
                   MimeType AS DWORD          ' WCHAR*. Pointer to a null-terminated string
                                              '  that contains the mime type of the codec
                   Flags AS DWORD             ' Combination of flags from the ImageCodecFlags enumeration
                   Version AS DWORD           ' Integer that indicates the version of the codec
                   SigCount AS DWORD          ' Integer that indicates the number of signatures
                                              '  used by the file format associated with the codec
                   SigSize AS DWORD           ' Integer that indicates the number of bytes of each signature
                   SigPattern AS DWORD        ' BYTE*. Pointer to an array of bytes that contains
                                              '  the pattern for each signature
                   SigMask AS DWORD           ' BYTE*. Pointer to an array of bytes that contains
                                              '  the mask for each signature
                END TYPE
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdiplusStartup LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdiplusStartup" _
                            (token AS DWORD, inputbuf AS GdiplusStartupInput, outputbuf AS GdiplusStartupOutput) AS LONG
                DECLARE SUB GdiplusShutdown LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdiplusShutdown" _
                            (BYVAL token AS DWORD)
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipGetImageEncodersSize LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipGetImageEncodersSize" _
                            (numEncoders AS DWORD, nSize AS DWORD) AS LONG
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipGetImageEncoders LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipGetImageEncoders" _
                            (BYVAL numEncoders AS DWORD, BYVAL nSize AS DWORD, BYVAL lpEncoders AS DWORD) AS LONG
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipSaveImageToFile LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipSaveImageToFile" _
                            (BYVAL lpImage AS DWORD, BYVAL flname AS DWORD, BYREF clsidEncoder AS GUID, _
                             BYREF EncoderParams AS DWORD) AS LONG
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipLoadImageFromFile LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipLoadImageFromFile" _
                            (BYVAL flnameptr AS DWORD, lpImage AS DWORD) AS LONG
                    '1st parm of GdipLoadImageFromFile is byval string in Patrice's translation and byval dword in
                    ' Jose Roca's translation "for consistency with 1000s of functions..." per PBforums 19/11/09
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipGetImageDimension LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipGetImageDimension" _
                            (BYVAL nImage AS LONG, nWidth AS SINGLE, Height AS SINGLE) AS LONG
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipCreateFromHDC LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipCreateFromHDC" _
                            (BYVAL hdc AS LONG, graphics AS LONG) AS LONG
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipDrawImageRectRect LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipDrawImageRectRect" _
                        (BYVAL graphics AS DWORD, BYVAL pImage AS DWORD, _
                         BYVAL dstx AS SINGLE, BYVAL dsty AS SINGLE, BYVAL dstwidth AS SINGLE, BYVAL dstheight AS SINGLE, _
                         BYVAL srcx AS SINGLE, BYVAL srcy AS SINGLE, BYVAL srcwidth AS SINGLE, BYVAL srcheight AS SINGLE, _
                         BYVAL srcUnit AS LONG, BYVAL imageAttributes AS DWORD, _
                         BYVAL pcallback AS DWORD, BYVAL callbackData AS DWORD) AS LONG
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipCreateBitmapFromGdiDib LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipCreateBitmapFromGdiDib" _
                            (BYREF BitMapInfo, BYVAL DWORD, BYREF DWORD) AS LONG
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipDisposeImage LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipDisposeImage" _
                            (BYVAL lpImage AS DWORD) AS LONG
                DECLARE FUNCTION GdipDeleteGraphics LIB "GDIPLUS.DLL" ALIAS "GdipDeleteGraphics" _
                            (BYVAL Graphics AS LONG) AS LONG
                '  I need to leave 3 more (unused) definitions here for compatibility with another module I use:
                'declare function GdipGetImagePixelFormat lib "GDIPLUS.DLL" alias "GdipGetImagePixelFormat" _
                '            (byval nImage as long, PixelFormat as long) as long
                'declare function GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0 lib "GDIPLUS.DLL" alias "GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0" _
                '            (byval long, byval long, byval long, byval long, byref any, byref dword) as long
                'declare function GdipGetImageGraphicsContext lib "GDIPLUS.DLL" alias "GdipGetImageGraphicsContext" _
                '            (byval nImage as long, graphics as long) as long

' ==========================================================================
                ' GetEncoderClsid
                ' The function GetEncoderClsid in the following example receives the MIME
                ' type of an encoder and returns the class identifier (CLSID) of that encoder.
                ' The MIME types of the encoders built into GDI+ are as follows:
                '   image/bmp   image/jpeg   image/gif   image/tiff   image/png
                ' ==========================================================================
                FUNCTION GdiPlusGetEncoderClsid (BYVAL strMimeType AS STRING) AS STRING
                'Retrieve encoder's clsid, where strMimeType is ansi string e.g. "image/jpeg"
                'Routine courtesy Jose Roca GdipUtils.inc, freeware, posted PB Forums  23/12/09

LOCAL hr AS LONG
                   LOCAL pImageCodecInfo AS ImageCodecInfo PTR
                   LOCAL numEncoders AS DWORD
                   LOCAL nSize AS DWORD
                   LOCAL i AS LONG
                   LOCAL wstrlen AS LONG
                   LOCAL sMimeType AS STRING

hr = GdipGetImageEncodersSize(numEncoders, nSize)
                   REDIM buffer(nSize - 1) AS BYTE
                   pImageCodecInfo = VARPTR(buffer(0))
                   hr = GdipGetImageEncoders(numEncoders, nSize, BYVAL pImageCodecInfo)
                   IF hr = 0 THEN
                      FOR i = 1 TO numEncoders
                        wstrlen = lstrlenW(BYVAL @pImageCodecInfo.MimeType)
                        IF wstrlen THEN sMimeType = ACODE$(PEEK$(@pImageCodecInfo.MimeType, wstrlen * 2))
                         IF INSTR(UCASE$(sMimeType), UCASE$(strMimeType) ) THEN
                            FUNCTION = GUIDTXT$(@pImageCodecInfo.ClassID)
                            EXIT FOR
                         END IF
                         INCR pImageCodecInfo       '// Increments pointer
                      NEXT
                   END IF

END FUNCTION

'===============================================================================
                '   Loading images from file .png .jpg .gif .tif ( and .bmp) to/from PB Bitmaps
                '===============================================================================

FUNCTION GraphicLoadImageFileToBitmap( _
                    BYREF sImageFileName AS STRING, _       'Image to load, extension = type
                    OPTIONAL BYVAL MaxWidth AS DWORD, _     'Constrain Width to value, 0 = None
                    OPTIONAL BYVAL MaxHeight AS DWORD, _    'Constrain Height value, 0 = None
                    OPTIONAL BYVAL StretchImg AS DWORD  _   '0 = normal, 1 = Stretch image to xy
                                            ) AS DWORD      'Returns PB bitmap handle of image
                '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                'Supply the function with an ImageFileName - for instance photo.jpg - and it
                '  will attempt to make a new PB Graphic memory bitmap containing the image.
                'You can optionally specify a maximum width and/or height for the image, and
                '  have the routine scale it as it is read in.  While rarely needed, you can
                '  also optionally stretch the image, in which case the image will be made to
                '  equal MaxWidth and MaxHeight even though that may stretch or squash it.
                'sImageFileName can be name or path+name, extn determines file type, eg jpg, png
                'The function needs GDIPlus - so your program needs XP or better, basically.
                'You need to call GdiplusStartup and GdiplusShutdown in your apps init/close
                '  If you do not Gdiplus calls will access memory they are not allowed - a GPF
                'When you are finished using the PB memory bitmap, you must delete it with
                '  GRAPHIC BITMAP END.     (Steven Murray  3 February 2010  airborn.com.au)
                '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    LOCAL ucImageFileName   AS WSTRING   'sImageFileName converted to unicode
                    LOCAL pImage            AS DWORD    'GDI+ image pointer, after reading in
                    LOCAL ImgWidth          AS SINGLE   'Image width, pixels
                    LOCAL ImgHeight         AS SINGLE   'Image height, pixels
                    LOCAL hBmp              AS DWORD    'PB Graphic bitmap handle for image
                    LOCAL hDC               AS DWORD    'Device context for PB Graphic bitmap
                    LOCAL pGraphics         AS DWORD    'GDI+ Graphics object used to draw image
                    LOCAL hStatus           AS LONG     'Status return value

IF StretchImg<>0 AND (MaxWidth=0 OR MaxHeight=0) THEN EXIT FUNCTION 'If bogus xy
                    IF ISFALSE ISFILE(sImageFileName) THEN
                        MSGBOX "[GraphicLoadImageFileToBitmap] called on <" & sImageFileName & _
                                    "> Missing file"
                        EXIT FUNCTION                               'Exit if image not available
                    END IF
                    ucImageFileName = sImageFileName        'Gdip wants filename as unicode
                    'Next ask GDI+ to read in the picture (ucImageFileName) to GDI+ image (pImage)
                    hStatus = GdipLoadImagefromFile(STRPTR(ucImageFileName),pImage)
                    IF hStatus THEN
                        MSGBOX "[GraphicLoadImageFileToBitmap] [GdipLoadImagefromFile] read error on <" & _
                                    sImageFileName & ">"
                        EXIT FUNCTION                               'Exit if GDI plus error on read
                    END IF

GdipGetImageDimension(pImage, ImgWidth, ImgHeight)  'Quiz GDI to get image size
                    IF ImgWidth = 0 OR ImgHeight = 0 THEN EXIT FUNCTION 'Exit if bogus image size

IF MaxWidth  = 0 THEN MaxWidth  = ImgWidth      'If not specified, width = actual
                    IF MaxHeight = 0 THEN MaxHeight = ImgHeight     'If not specified, height = actual
                    IF StretchImg= 0 THEN                           'Only find maximums if no stretch
                        IF (ImgWidth / MaxWidth) > (ImgHeight / MaxHeight) THEN 'If width constrained
                            IF ImgWidth > MaxWidth THEN                         'If a shrink is needed
                                MaxHeight = ImgHeight / (ImgWidth / MaxWidth)   'MaxHeight is now new y
                            END IF
                        ELSE
                            IF ImgHeight > MaxHeight THEN                       'If a shrink is needed
                                MaxWidth = ImgWidth / (ImgHeight / MaxHeight)   'MaxWidth is now new x
                            END IF
                        END IF
                    END IF

GRAPHIC BITMAP NEW MaxWidth, MaxHeight TO hBmp  'Make a correctly sized PB Bitmap
                    IF hBmp = 0 THEN                                'Test if PB could make the Bitmap
                        IF pImage THEN GdipDisposeImage(pImage)     'Cleanup
                        EXIT FUNCTION                               'Exit if PB could not make Bitmap
                    END IF
                                                                    'Else, we have proper sized Bitmap
                    GRAPHIC ATTACH hBmp, 0                          'Select Bitmap as graphic target
                    GRAPHIC GET DC TO hDC                           'Get a device context for Bitmap

hStatus = GdipCreateFromHDC(hDC, pGraphics)     'Create Graphic object
                    hStatus = GdipDrawImageRectRect(pGraphics, pImage, 0, 0, MaxWidth, MaxHeight, _
                            0, 0, ImgWidth, ImgHeight, %UnitPixel, %NULL, %NULL, %NULL)

IF pImage THEN GdipDisposeImage(pImage)         'Cleanup
                    IF pGraphics THEN GdipDeleteGraphics(pGraphics) ' more Cleanup

IF hStatus = 0 THEN
                        FUNCTION = hBmp                             'If draw worked, return Bitmap
                    ELSE
                        GRAPHIC BITMAP END                          'If draw failed, release Bitmap
                    END IF

GRAPHIC DETACH                                  'Finished with Bitmap, detach
                END FUNCTION

FUNCTION GraphicSaveBitmapToImageFile(BYVAL hBmp AS DWORD, _
                                                            sImageFileName AS STRING) AS LONG
                'Supply the function with a PB Graphic memory bitmap containing an image,
                '  while specifying an ImageFileName - For instance photo.jpg - to write
                'The extension of the filename selects image type: .png/.jpg/.gif/.bmp/.tif
                'This function is intended as the complement of GraphicLoadImageFileToBitmap
                'The function needs GDIPlus - so your program needs XP or better, basically.
                'When you are finished using the PB memory bitmap, you must delete it with
                '  GRAPHIC BITMAP END.     (Steven Murray  3 February 2010  airborn.com.au)
                    '     hBmp                           PB bitmap handle of image to be saved
                    '     sImageFileName                 Name image to be saved as, extn = type
                    LOCAL ucImageFileName   AS STRING   'sImageFileName converted to unicode
                    LOCAL Exten             AS STRING   'sImageFileName extension eg ".jpg"
                    LOCAL FType             AS STRING   'sImageFileName mime-type eg "image-jpeg"
                    LOCAL EncoderClsid      AS GUID     '16 byte GUID string of image encoder

LOCAL bmpDat            AS STRING   'PB graphic bitmap saved to this string
                    LOCAL ImgWidth          AS LONG     'Width  of the bitmap in pixels
                    LOCAL ImgHeight         AS LONG     'Height of the bitmap in pixels
                    LOCAL PixelPtr          AS DWORD    'Pointer the start of the pixel data

LOCAL sbmi            AS Bitmapinfo 'Bitmapinfo Structure - dib header
                    LOCAL pImage            AS DWORD    'GDI+ image pointer, after conversion
                    LOCAL hStatus           AS LONG     'Status return value

FUNCTION = %TRUE            '
                    GRAPHIC ATTACH hBmp, 0      'Select Bitmap as "graphic target" to read out of
                    GRAPHIC GET BITS TO bmpDat  'And get the image data into the string bmpDat

ImgWidth = CVL(bmpDat,1) : ImgHeight = CVL(bmpDat,5)    'Get PB bitmap dimensions
                    PixelPtr = STRPTR(bmpDat) + 8       'First 8 bytes are width/height, then pixels

sbmi.bmiHeader.biSize = SIZEOF(sbmi.bmiHeader)  'Length of the structure
                    sbmi.bmiHeader.biWidth  = ImgWidth      'Width of the bitmap
                    sbmi.bmiHeader.biHeight = 0-ImgHeight   'Height + sign is drawing direction
                    sbmi.bmiHeader.biPlanes = 1
                    sbmi.bmiHeader.biBitCount = 32          'Each pixel in bitmap is 32 bits
                    sbmi.bmiHeader.biCompression = %BI_RGB  'Actually, PB says it is BGR, but this works

'Next create a GDI+ bitmap (called pImage) from the bmi header we just made
                    '  and the Pixel data supplied by "Graphic Get Bits" from the original bitmap
                    hStatus = GdipCreateBitmapFromGdiDib(BYREF sbmi, BYVAL PixelPtr, pImage)
                    IF hStatus THEN FUNCTION = %FALSE : EXIT FUNCTION   'Indicate failure and exit

Exten = LCASE$(PATHNAME$(EXTN,sImageFileName)) : FType = ""     'Get extension
                    'Now translate the file extension (eg ".png") to mimetype (eg "image/png")
                    FType = SWITCH$(Exten=".png", "image/png", Exten=".jpg", "image/jpeg", _
                                    Exten=".gif", "image/gif", Exten=".tif", "image/tiff",  _
                                    Exten=".bmp", "image/bmp")             'Default seems to be bmp
                    EncoderClsid = GUID$(GdiPlusGetEncoderClsid(FType))    'Get the CLSID of selected encoder
                    ucImageFileName = UCODE$(sImageFileName & $NUL) 'Translate the filename to unicode

'Next save the GDI+ bitmap (pImage) as an image of type specified by EncoderClsid
                    'to the filename specified when this function was called with no Encoder parameters
                    hStatus = GdipSaveImageToFile(pImage, STRPTR(ucImageFileName), EncoderClsid, BYVAL %Null)
                    IF hStatus THEN FUNCTION = %FALSE

IF pImage THEN GdipDisposeImage(pImage)         'Cleanup
                END FUNCTION
                '-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Then it's a simple:

hGraphic = GraphicLoadImageFileToBitmap(strPhotoName,x,y)

I now have the handle to an in memory Bitmap which I can use with any PB graphic command..

Comment

Just found the original (the SM at the top of the GDICut.inc file is Steve Murray, not me

https://forum.powerbasic.com/forum/u...mp;postcount=1

Edit: I just noticed that my GDICut.inc is actually a combination of Steve's original GDICut.inc (the declarations etc) and his second ImgFtoBM.inc (the load and save functions)
                  Last edited by Stuart McLachlan; 7 Jul 2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart McLachlan View Post
                    Then it's a simple:

hGraphic = GraphicLoadImageFileToBitmap(strPhotoName,x,y)
                    Oops, forgot to say. You also need to to initialise and shutdown in PBMain

Code:
                    FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG
                        LOCAL GdipToken AS DWORD
                        LOCAL StartupInput AS GdiplusStartupInput
                        'Initialise GDI+ - this is required ONCE in app if any GDI+ stuff is used
                        StartupInput.GdiplusVersion = 1
                        IF GdiplusStartup(GdipToken,StartupInput, BYVAL %NULL) THEN
                            MSGBOX "Error initialising GDI+" ,,$AppTitle
                            EXIT FUNCTION
                        END IF

GdiplusShutdown GdipToken       'Shutdown GDI plus
                    END FUNCTION

Comment

Stuart...
                      Thanx for the time and energy you put forth... I will try them when I wake up in about an hour or so... (after coffee)...

Comment

If it's a BMP file, you don't need GDI+ because PB/CC's GRAPHIC WINDOW does provide native support for BMP files.
                        Michael Mattias
                        Tal Systems (retired)
                        Port Washington WI USA
                        [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                        X