ERR=68 Device Error after Attach on Server 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neil J Hosgood View Post
    ...why are you trying to set all print queues up as parallel (lpt) ? is it that you have software that will only work with
    parallel printers?
    All of our business software was MSBasic 7.1 PDS 16bit running on Win7/32bit up until a few years ago when our Solidworks workstations needed Win64 to run more memory. When they went to 64bit it broke all our business software. That is when I started using PB and changing over what was needed to 32bit. We decided to upgrade our server from 2003 to 2012 because of End Of Life.

What happened is all the 16bit software is printing fine to 2003 and 2012 but the newer 32bit software won't print to one of the 2012 printers. So yes, I need to capture LPT1 for the 16bit software until I can convert everything over to 32bit PB. I have a friend coming in tomorrow to see if he can see why that one print capture isn't working like the rest. If he can than I can pull the 2003 server from the network as originally planned.

Frank

Comment

That is when I started using PB and changing over what was needed to 32bit...... What happened is all the 16bit software is printing fine to 2003 and 2012 but the newer 32bit software won't print to one of the 2012 printers
      Gee whiz, it's a good thing when you ported to 32 bit you didn't change anything else you didn't bother to tell us about in Post#1.

And call me a dreamer, but I think there should be more to "porting from MS-DOS to Win/32" than simply recompiling. For example, thinking about how Windows handles print devices (well, ALL devices) a whole lot differently than did MS-DOS.

Sometimes you just have to thank the MS-DOS software for its service, give it the gold watch and let it retire to Florida with some dignity.
      Michael Mattias
      Tal Systems (retired)
      Port Washington WI USA
      [email protected]
      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Frank
        because we are using our main business software from a outside vendor since 2006, I have not had to deal with much printing to a printer myself but I have had to deal with the software using LPT ports for printing. Since then the developer has made the software able to use Windows printers and it is still backward compatible to LPT ports and I have that option to use both in the software.
        Basically we are in the same boat as you sort of. Still using 16bit software and still using 32bit so.
        I thought that I was using the statement OPEN "LPTx" as #1 the printing to #1 like a file.
        But also I make use of the command line "NET USE LPTX \\SERVER\sharedprintername".
        I like to use a local shared printer name for the NET USE statement and set the local shared printer to print to a shard printer device across the network by setting the port to that printer to some lan networked printer.
        This way LPTx will always be available.
        Now get this.
        To use a local shared printer by the local machine only. In the protocols in the network connections. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE THE PROTOCOL FOR SHARING DEVICES SET TO ON. YOU ONLY HAVE TO HAVE THE PROTOCOL INSTALLED WHICH IS VERY LIKELY INSTALLED. But yes you have to have the client protocol turned on.
        p purvis

Comment

Also it is very likely your MSBasic cannot use LPT4 to LPT9 but Powerbasic can. All you have to do is create the ports LPT4 to LPT9 in printer server properties. Then your able to use "NET USE LPT9 \\%COMPUTERNAME%\localsharedprinter in the boot up process only once in a batch file and in the software use LPRINT or OPEN statement. You can also use the NET USE LPT1-3 for the older 16bit software.
          Your printout will now be spooled by your local shared printer and you should not loss any printout.
          If your printing on a line printer to print on a preprinted form. It all should still work fine.
          I am available if you need any help but I am not running newer operating systems but there should only be small differences. I am having a lot of older parent physicall problems but I should be able to find time for you and my time is free to you.
          p purvis

Comment

for windows xp sp3
            to add LPT4 to LPT9 ports to windows operating system by way of creating a reg file
            in your reg file should be these lines
            Code:
            Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Ports]
            "LPT4:"=""
            "LPT5:"=""
            "LPT6:"=""
            "LPT7:"=""
            "LPT8:"=""
            "LPT9:"=""
            p purvis

Comment

Working...
            X