PBCC under Windows 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBCC under Windows 10

Can anyone help, please? For many years I have been happily using Power Basic 3.04 under Windows XP. Having recently acquired a new PC running Windows 10 64-bit, I find that:

- Power Basic's internal editor (CCEDIT.EXE) runs OK on the new PC.
    - Power Basic's compiler (PBCC.EXE) does not run, as it is a 16-bit program.
    - Executables compiled under XP run OK under Windows 10.

So, for the time being until I can get something sorted out, I need to keep the old PC at hand for the sole purpose of compiling PB programs. Can anyone advise where and how I can get hold of a copy of PBCC.EXE that is compatible with Windows 10 64-bit?

I would prefer to avoid the other solutions of installing a virtual machine or obtaining another flavour of Basic.

Thanks for any help............................Sam.

Hello ....

Other folks here will have better knowledge than me, but consider these ....

(1) I'm not familiar win PBCC Version 3.x but I assume it was a 32-bit app in every way. Assuming that, PBCC.exe should be 32-bit, not 16.

(2) Was your WIN-XP 32-bit or 64-Bit ??

Beyond this, I can only tell you that PowerBasic now offers its Console Compiler in three versions -- 4.0 for $25, 5.0 for $50 and 6.0 for $75.

To get a preview of the PBCC offerings, you can go to https://www.powerbasic.com/powerbasic-console-compiler and view-download the PDF file versions of the User-Reference Guides for each compiler.

Best of Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Boote View Post
      So, for the time being until I can get something sorted out, I need to keep the old PC at hand for the sole purpose of compiling PB programs. Can anyone advise where and how I can get hold of a copy of PBCC.EXE that is compatible with Windows 10 64-bit?
      https://www.powerbasic.com/
      ??
      $75 for PBCC V6.03
      $100 for PBWIN V10.03

There are also PBWIN V8.04 for $50, and PBWIN V9.04 for $75.
      PBWIN V10.03 is the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned, for PBWIN,
      at least until and if a PBWIN V11 comes on the market.

There are also PBCC V5.04 for $50, and PBCC V4.04 for $25.
      I'd go with PBCC V6.03, at least until and if a PBCC V7 comes out.

They really aren't empty updates. There is a lot to be gained.
      The world is strange and wonderful.*
      I reserve the right to be horrifically wrong.
      Please maintain a safe following distance.
      *wonderful sold separately.

Comment

All versions PBWin and PBCC compiled source code to 32 bit executables.
        The compilers upto PBWin 7 and PBCC 3 were 16 bit (maybe 1 version off, but I don't think so).
        The compilers PBWin 8 to 10 and PBCC 4 to 6 are 32 bit.

I had no reason to notice when the IDEs changed from 16 bit to 32 bit. I would have assumed at the same time; but from what you said in post 1, it was at least one version earlier the the compiler.

As Kurt said current prices reasonable.
        Dale

Comment

PBCC 4.03 PBWin 8.03 ---> 16 Bit
          PBCC 4.04 PBWin 8.04 ---> 32 Bit

Comment

TA Horst. It didn't stick in my memory as happening at a minor version, but no reason to doubt you either
            Dale

Comment

Thanks for various replies. My old XP system was 32-bit. When I try running PBCC.EXE under Windows 10 64-bit, I get an error message saying that it is an unsupported 16-bit application.

I'd be happy to buy a more up-to-date version of PBCC.EXE (or maybe the whole PB suite), but I cannot access www.powerbasic.com. I live in the UK and I understand that this inaccessibility may be something to do with compliance (or not) with European GDPR rules. If anyone can suggest a route to the desired purchase, I'd be most grateful.

...........................Sam.

Comment

Wasn't there a direct email address of either support@powerbasic.com and/or sales@powerbasic.com? True, we Europeans are having trouble with the site however you may be able to access it using an anonymizer website. Search Google for 'anonymize' or try immediately with www.hidester.com en enter www.powerbasic.com
                So here we are, this is the end.
                But all that dies, is born again.
                - From The Ashes (In This Moment)

Comment

XP was the last Windows that would also run 16 bit apps "out of the box" even though it was 32 bit.

So if you'd upgraded to Windows Vista or Windows 7 you would have had the problem earlier.

Cheers,
                  Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Boote View Post
                    Thanks for various replies. I cannot access www.powerbasic.com. I live in the UK and I understand that this inaccessibility may be something to do with compliance (or not) with European GDPR rules. If anyone can suggest a route to the desired purchase, I'd be most grateful.
                    Some web-browsers (Opera, for one) let you install a free VPN add-on service which may (emphasize may) allow you to bypass normal web-browsing restrictions.

Here's an Idea -- Troubleshoot each of your PBCC304 exe's for compatibility. This is done by going to the folders where those apps are kept, then right-clicking on each individual app and choosing "Troubleshoot". From there you want get to a screen that lists prior Windows versions to try. Windows XP Service Pack 3 should be listed.

Best of Luck

Comment

Thanks again for replies. Sorry but I'm not making any progress. Frank's suggestion of using the "troubleshoot" procedure did not work. Following Frank's and Steven's ideas of getting access to www.powerbasic.com via a VPN, I installed the SetupVPN add-on in Firefox and created an account, but this does not work either.

Now that some of you have suggested version(s) of PBCC that I ought to buy, I wonder whether I should simply email support@powerbasic.com and ask them to accept an order via email. Perhaps, if someone from Drake is reading this, they could advise.

Thanks again for your time and attention.

Regards..........................Sam.

Comment

Which browser?
                        Dale

Comment

I'm using Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit) - the latest version.

Comment

Hi Sam,

https://www.proxysite.com/
                            and there enter https://www.powerbasic.com

/Mikael

Comment

The new PowerBasic owner has decided to close their website to all EU countries because of the GDPR regulations.
                              Or the lack of understanding of these...

Comment

Thanks Mikael, I can now see the Power Basic site and am trying to place an order for PBCC 4.04. However, the checkout process is hanging, and I've asked sales@powerbasic.com for help.
                                .......................Sam.

Comment

From the previous owner of PB i have twice purchased powerbasic as gifts to other people in the hopes of getting those 2 on board with Powerbasic They were fully gifts so that they could compile my code or make hanges.
                                  p purvis

Comment

Working...
                                  X