END statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrug,

There is no answer to someone who does mental logic inversions.

> If I didn't know better I'd say you are condoning sloppy programming in Win/32.

It seems to depend on your theory, its the "if you don't do it my way" theory OR "if it ain't politically correct" variation of the former OR "you can blend all of the OS versions together" theory and "do it my way" but when the mop flops, its the OS version that says "Do it MY way" or it will go bang. Like it or lump it, it a protected mode OS you write code ITS way and that comes with understanding what protected mode is. Clean entry and exits, correct memory adressing that you don't overrun or it says horrible things about your code and YES, Win64 is less tolerant than Win32.
    hutch at movsd dot com
    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Like it or lump it, it a protected mode OS you write code ITS way and that comes with understanding what protected mode is. Clean entry and exits, correct memory adressing that you don't overrun or it says horrible things about your code and YES, Win64 is less tolerant than Win32.
      My point was, "creating good programs by using clean entry and exits, as well as not overrunning memory addresses, is independent of hardware or operating system."

That is, there are certain elements to writing good programs - being a good programmer - which don't give a hoot about protected mode.

Michael Mattias
      Tal Systems (retired)
      Port Washington WI USA
      [email protected]
      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Why didn't you include ALGOL as well ? We knew about the old girl who prophesied in COBOL and the REAL MEN[tm] who wrote FORTRAN but if you want to learn how Win64 works, I can recommend a genuine, no bovine excrement 64 bit assembler, where you will learn what TERSE and BAD MANNERED means as you produce profundities on the meaning of life, software design and the like.

Remember the number of auto updates that Win10 64 has had since it was introduced ?
        Last edited by Steve Hutchesson; 30 Jul 2021, 03:33 AM. Reason: Typo :)
        hutch at movsd dot com
        The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

> That is, there are certain elements to writing good programs - being a good programmer - which don't give a hoot about protected mode.

I'd rather be a BAAAAAAD programmer if it means avoiding the Poe Litti Calli Koe Wrecked claptrap that we get to hear too often. Use a GOTO or two, even worse, use mnemonics instead of pre-canned junk loop design and (shock horror, shock horror) write within you allocated memory to keep your app going in PROTECTED MODE.
          hutch at movsd dot com
          The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Good Day all,

Actually, I can answer the first post in this thread with some imperical results. I ran into some program termination problems. I put in some code down at the bottom just before the EXIT FUNCTION line.

Done:
            END
            SYSTEM
            EXIT FUNCTION

I quickly found out that sometimes the END legacy statement I was using to cover all the bases was closing the program, but NOT ending the process that the program had started. Then, as I was editing and debugging code I kept getting 'program is already running' conflicts. I eventually traced the problem to my attempt to use EVERY type of termination routine I knew to cover all the bases. When I finally let go of the comfortable OLD obsolete methods I stopped getting those conflicts.

Done:
            CLS
            EXIT FUNCTION

Now this line label accessed appropriately with some GOTO Done line clears the screen and releases all of the resources the application was using.

There is MY reason for not using END any more.

Comment

Working...
            X