Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Torrie
    replied
    Just tried out dosbox for myself. It is different from dosemu in 2 ways. First off, I believe it actually emulates the cpu, so you can run it on non-x86 platforms. That also means it will potentially be slower, but more compatible than dosemu, which is more of a virtual machine. Secondly, dosbox has it's own built-in DOS. It does a great job of emulating all the dos apis you need (int 21, etc) and fakes it so that most programs will run fine.

PowerBASIC runs very well under it. I just mounted my powerbasic folder (which lives on my linux file system) using a very simple mount command to the D: drive. The "mount" command is the most intelligent thing I've seen in an emulator. It allows easy and transparent mapping of non-dos file systems easily.

Anyway, if you're going to develop on an x86 platform under Windows, just stick with the winxp dos box. But if you're going to be running on linux or non-x86 platforms, this is a very useful program.

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Basit Bulbulia
    replied
    Down loaded it . .

Nice . . but ..

You have to use Linux like mount functions to get the drives recognised. defaults to Z:

Eg : mount c c:\

try Date or Time and u will be suprised (*Hehe*) illegal command ..

I guess you cant have it all. . why i tried using it is to see if i could not squeez more memory out of it (lol)

Bye now

------------------
    JustBASit

-----------------------
    ]www.compubyte.co.za
    -----------------------
    [b]
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Michael Torrie
    replied
    Yes it is free (it's licensed under the GPL) and it runs under a variety of x86 platforms including win32 and linux. Not sure how this fits with the old dosemu project, but looks like they've come pretty far. Plus it runs on Windows, which dosemu does not.

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Steve Smith
    replied
    I don't have much technical data on it, but I can speak from personal experience.

It's great for running older dos games. All my older Sierra and Lucasfilm games work better, especially the ones that used digital audio. Running under XP, the games couldn't access the IRQ port for the sound card. Now with this program, all the sound works great.

It's also doesn't interfere or change any programs. Very easy to use. Give it a try. After all, I think it's free.

Steve

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Emil Menzel
    started a topic A free DOS emulator for Windows

A free DOS emulator for Windows

dosbox.sourceforge.net

Does anyone have any experience with this & advice on it?

I got the URL from the NY Times 11/13/03 Technology section
    & its review seemed favorable.

I do not think that it is the same as Eric Pearson's DOSBOX,
    by the way.

------------------
Working...
X