Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this legal?

Hi.
    I have just gotten an old laptop from my old company (ABB), it has MS DOS on it with Windows 98.
    When I checked out the contents of the C drive I see that is has PowerBASIC 3.5 installed at C:\PB35

Can I use it to compile programs and distribute freely since it is already payed for and is no longer used by my old company?

Regards

------------------

The short answer is no, absolutely not.

The person who owns the license to that compiler could sell/transfer it to you, but it is only valid upon registration and acceptance of the transfer by PowerBASIC Inc. Of course, that person would be giving up all rights to continue use of the software.

Regards,

Bob Zale
    PowerBASIC Inc.

------------------

Comment

Hi Bob.
      Thanks for the reply.
      It's been a while since they used this I guess since the program have and the laptop have been laying in storage for a long time.

What excactly is the actions they need to take in order to transfere the license to me?
      I'm guessing this is some form of a commercial license since it is used by my own company.

------------------

Comment

Quote "y my own company." should be my OLD company.

------------------

Comment

Does the license follow the person/company or the installed computer?

------------------

Comment

A license to use PowerBASIC is owned by the person/entity who purchases the license. That license is issued for one single user. A unique serial number is provided to assist in identifying that user.

Regards,

Bob Zale
            PowerBASIC Inc.

------------------

Comment

OK, thanks.

How can I find the serial?
              I've checked in the program itself but can't see anything there.
              I'm guessing you'll want the serial to check the license state?

------------------

Comment

The serial number may be found on the installation floppies or download
                confirmation email, as well as the product invoice. If you do not have
                any of these, you will need to supply as much information as possible
                (ordered when? by what company? ...etc) to help us look it up. Please
                email mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A> .

------------------
                Tom Hanlin
                PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

OK, thanks.
                  I'll do.

I'll give them a call and ask if they can dig that up for me.
                  I know they won't mind since they no longer use it.

But, what if they can't find the purchase date?
                  Can you find the license just by the company name?
                  The company has changed name three time the last 10 years and are going to change names again this summer due to another company has bought them up.

------------------

Comment

Robert, welcome

It seems like it might be a lot simpler to just buy a
                    new copy

besides, supporting PB, helps PB give us even Newer & Better
                    things for the already "World's Greatest Compilers"

Brad

------------------
                    Washington DC Area
                    Borje's "Poff's" is likely the BEST tool for learning PB.. http://www.tolkenxp.com/pb
                    And a few PBTool's & Beginner Help:http://sweetheartgames.com/PBTools/JumpStart.html

Comment

Thanks Brad.
                      You might be right.
                      But it is still money, even though the DOS version is cheaper.
                      I already have licenses for iBasic, Visual DialogScript, PureBasic and a couple more I don't use anymore.
                      So I'd rather not spend more money they I have to
                      Anyways, I've been thinking about purchasing PB Win but I'm not sure if it is better than PureBasic.
                      Maybe a dumb question to ask here though :lol:

------------------

Comment

"... I've been thinking about purchasing PB Win but I'm not sure if it is better than PureBasic...."

hehe, Robert

If I hadn't found PB, and the tremedous knowlege base and support
                        from these Forums, I do believe that I would have quit programming..
                        even-though I had pretty solid Fortran foundation..
                        PowerBASIC is "REAL" stuff, no cutting corners!!
                        It's like night and day, the differance having the full control that PB offers...

Brad

------------------
                        Washington DC Area
                        Borje's "Poff's" is likely the BEST tool for learning PB.. http://www.tolkenxp.com/pb
                        And a few PBTool's & Beginner Help:http://sweetheartgames.com/PBTools/JumpStart.html

Comment

He he he
                          I was expecting a reply like that.
                          But, when we're on that subject.
                          Name one or more things that you can do with PowerBASIC that can't be done with PureBasic?
                          Not starting any discussion about comparison, just curious

------------------

Comment

well Robert,

I do not know that much about PureBasic, but if you search the
                            Forums, there are many posts and discusion about the differances
                            from programmers who have used both, also I do know that there are
                            members at the Purebasic forum who seem pretty knowlegable..

but, "IMO" PowerBASIC is really an Assembler with some high-level support.. I am primarily into low-level graphics, (not DirectX or OpenGL) I need lower-level (more control) than they offer.. PowerBASIC provides all this, w/o having to use straight
                            Assembly... as one member once said:

he thinks that Purebasic is written in PowerBASIC... hehe

but, also PowerBASIC will force you into understanding Windows,
                            it does not have the pretty wrappers to shelter you from the
                            Nuts n' Bolts.. Once you've learned PowerBASIC you can pretty
                            much understand any code from any compiler, because you will have
                            learned the Mechanics..

Brad

------------------
                            Washington DC Area

Comment

How about compiled filesize?
                              Not sure if I've seen a compiled Power B program.
                              How big is a simple hello world console program?
                              PureBasic 3.91 wich is the latest beta can compile a program like that at a mear 4 kb.
                              And a simple Windows app will compile at around 5-6 kb.

------------------

Comment

Not sure if I've seen a compiled Power B program.
                                How big is a simple hello world console program?
                                PureBasic 3.91 wich is the latest beta can compile a program like that at a mear 4 kb.
                                And a simple Windows app will compile at around 5-6 kb.
                                Errrrr mear 4K? How about 208 bytes in PBWin.

Doug

------------------
                                "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby

[This message has been edited by Douglas C. Horner (edited May 27, 2004).]
                                There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation.

Herbert Spencer

Comment

208 bytes compiled?
                                  You probably mean the source code

------------------

Comment

I tried it. The following PB/Win 7.04 code compiled to approximately
                                    6 KB.

Code:
                                    #COMPILE EXE

FUNCTION PBMAIN
                                        MSGBOX "Hello, world!"
                                    END FUNCTION

------------------

Comment

Thanks for that Clay.

------------------

Comment

Robert,

you want to be caucious comparing file size, I don't remember the
                                        proper termonology, but it's my understanding that PB adds @4k
                                        of overhead in the "??? section" .. so if you want more "real life" comparisons best to look at larger files...

as an industry standard PB does generate very small and very fast
                                        optimized exes..

Brad

------------------
                                        Washington DC Area

Comment

Working...
                                        X