Starting PB4DOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting PB4DOS

I have had yet another disaster and have wiped my drive clean and started again.
    I am basically running Windows XP and got PB for DOS to load okay but it just hangs up when I try to run it.
    Can anyone offer a suggestion?
    Brian.

------------------
    Brian.

got PB for DOS to load okay but it just hangs up when I try to run it
    This is not clear to me.

However, one of the things you might try is playing with the EMS / XMS settings of the shortcut you use to launch PB/DOS; i seem to remember that the IDE uses EMS or XMS (or not..).

------------------
    Davide Vecchi
    [email protected]

Comment

I had a similar problem not long ago & cured it by reinstalling
      PB. (PB 3.5, that is; I have not yet seen or heard of PB 4.)

In my experience, XP causes few problems with PBDOS, and your
      problem has not been one of them.

Good luck!

------------------

Comment

In "PB4DOS" the "4" is for "for"; the latest PB/DOS version is 3.5.

BTW, what does it mean that one can load it but not run it ? That can't run any source code after starting PB/DOS ?

------------------
        Davide Vecchi
        [email protected]

Comment

David,
          Thank you for your interest. I had to reformat my drive and reload XP, then I added all the other programmes I use, including PB 3.5.
          I have never had a problem with PB 3.5 before.
          However, when I click on the icon on my desktop, PB comes up as it should but I can't do anything such as open a programme file or even close it. I have to close it using CTRL, ALT, DELETE.
          Brian.

------------------
          Brian.

Comment

Further to the above, I reloaded PB 3.5 and it works okay until I go to properties>Screen and set it to Full Screen.
            When I run it, it does as I mentioned above.
            If I reset it to Window, it works okay.
            Brian.

------------------
            Brian.

Comment

I'm using Win2kPro, and have no problems with PB/DOS 3.5 and either
              the Windowed or Full Screen mode. Of course I am just using a full
              screen size of 800x600. How large are you trying to go?

------------------
              Old Navy Chief, Systems Engineer, Systems Analyst, now semi-retired

Comment

I am using 1024 x 768. I have a 17-inch screen.
                I'm surprised that many people use 800 x 600. Is that fairly common?
                Brian.

------------------
                Brian.

Comment

I have had yet another disaster and have wiped my drive clean and started again.
                  I am basically running Windows XP and got PB for DOS to load okay but it just hangs up when I try to run it.
                  Can anyone offer a suggestion?
                  Brian.
                  ------------------
                  There is a fault in Windows with fast processors using Pentium 4 usually above 2.4

I had an ongoing issue with it.
                  If you use all the windows updates it might resolve the problem

I have crashed my machine a few times, and now after reloading everything my machine works full screen with dos and other 16 bit programs

I spent quite some time with Microsoft discussing the issue and they gave up

You will probably also get the fault if you run ordinary "edit" in dos in full screen mode

I have several customers running PB based programs and on faster processors they have to accept a "window" as opposed to full screen

refer Microsoft web site for a very similar problem where mouse hangs

Barry

------------------

------------------

Comment

paste from e-mail

As per your request, you are being notified that the following message
                    was just posted to the Windows 2000 Annoyances Discussion Forum:

* re: windows 2000 hangs in 16-bit mode
                    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1101662215

talks about the same problem

------------------

Comment

Video drivers can have some nasty, surprising effects. Have you searched Usenet newsgroups for postings about your video card + OS + the problem you're seeing?

------------------
                      -- gturgeon at verizon dot net --

[This message has been edited by Greg Turgeon (edited January 23, 2005).]

Comment

Working...
                      X