Print from DOS Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print from DOS Advice

I'm at a fork in the road and need some advice...

I've written a nice DOS program that I want to offer for sale on a web site I'll soon be constructing.

Here's my problem...

The program code was written in PB 3.00b and although it works great with output to the screen,
    I'm debating whether or not I should also offer hardcopy output to a printer.

I actually have the hardcopy output code in place within the program but because it utilizes
    LPRINT statements I can't dump output to the newer printers that operate with the W2k or XP
    operating systems. I'm still trying to fully understand why this can't be done but I'd like
    to look at some alternatives in the mean time.

Above all else, I want to make hardcopy output available to old and new OS systems alike
    whether using serial or USB ported printers.

Some things I'm considering are:

1. Will re-writing the code in PB/CC 3.04 (which I recently bought) using XPRINT statements solve
    my problem?

2. I know that there are DOS printing utilities that should allow me to this but requiring a new
    customer to "also" purchase this type of utility would probably lose a sale.

3. My program isn't that well suited to a Windows environment (and I'm not Windows programmer)
    so migrating the code to a Windows environment isn't a direction I wish to go.

Will I need to abandon hardcopy output or does anyone see a solution to my problem?

Thanks for any feedback...

You can keep using lprint. Should work with all Win-OS. Only thing is that printer must be also set up for command (DOS) windows.
    That's not always done properly. Can be done with "NET USE ..." or printer setup

------------------
    Regards,
    Peter
    Regards,
    Peter

Comment

Check out a program called DOSPrint. You buy it once and can
      distribute the registered program with your software for free.
      Only $99 if you order on the web now ( I was just at the site ).
      This way you can use normal printer control codes & it will
      handle printing to any printer connected to Windows. The
      Windows-only printers can NOT be printed to from standard DOS
      programs or by merely copying the text-output to LPT1.

The web site is www.DOSPrint.com

------------------

Comment

The Windows-only printers can NOT be printed to from standard DOS programs
        With LPRINT you CAN if printing from a DOS window is enabled...

------------------
        Regards,
        Peter
        Regards,
        Peter

Comment

Peter,

You've peeked my curiosity.

Please explain how exactly?

------------------

Comment

>You've peeked my curiosity

This won't compile...can you help?
            Code:
              StringVar = PIQUE(address, byte_count)
            Michael Mattias
            Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
            Racine WI USA
            [email protected]
            http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

As an additional option and you want to keep it in PB/DOS,
              reroute the printer output to a disk file then shell out and
              bring the file up in Word/Notepad or other word processor.

------------------
              There are no atheists in a fox hole or the morning of a math test.
              If my flag offends you, I'll help you pack.

Comment

Michael,

Should it have been "piqued" ? Sorry but I'm not running
                a spell-checker in a programming forum. generally I just
                write it as it sounds.

------------------

But I'm still curious as to where I enable this option.

[This message has been edited by Paul D. Elliott (edited June 06, 2007).]

Comment

I create files with DOS then shell to them using ddoc.
                  It could also be done using XPRINT. To eliminate the
                  shell a background print monitor can also be used that
                  prints whenever it finds an output file created by
                  the dos program.

------------------
                  How long is an idea? Write it down.

Comment

But I'm still curious as to where I enable this option.
                    Set the printer to shared on the printers properties tab (make sure the share name complies to 8.3 naming convention)
                    You can also use NET USE LPT1: \\MyComputerName\MyPrinterName inside a command (dos) window

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Peter
                    Regards,
                    Peter

Comment

Fred -

not sure how big your program is, but I can attest to the fact that rolling PBDOS over into PBCC is not difficult, at all.

mebets you could have the PBDOS app running in PBCC within an hour, mebbe seconds.

the XPRINT functions give you ways lots more control over paper output way lots easier. pick your printer, pick a font, pick a font size, underline, bold, italic, whatever.

on the "down" side,
                      (which, given the huge functional increases is very tiny in relation to gain, depending on how complex your printing is)
                      XPRINT can be a bit more work in "placing" text where you want it.

example: there is no XPRINT TAB

but in the end you can control virtually every spec of ink on the paper using PB functions that won't stop your still beating DOS heart.

if you've already got PBCC with XPRINT, I wouldn't waste a penny or a second on any "solutions" that leaves you still hampered by things you can do only on a dot matrix....
                      go fer'the gold.

------------------

Comment

Please, Sir, may I have some more?

I'm running W2k with a LJ 1018 printer. I've got it shared as
                        LJUSB. I can copy text to it but seeing as it doesn't go thru
                        the Windows driver then the printer can't understand it ( or at
                        least as near as I can tell ... just blinks the lights and sits
                        there ). I've even copied a form-feed to it but no change.

I see no option for "DOS printing" to be enabled.

What am I missing?

------------------

This method does work well if the printer is a DOS-compatible
                        printer. I used this method for over 6 years in support of a
                        system that needed to print to dot-matrix printers connected
                        to a network. The OS ranged from plain DOS to W2k and we never
                        had to install those printers on any system ( except maybe the
                        servers but we dumped output straight to the print queues ...
                        never running thru any driver ).

[This message has been edited by Paul D. Elliott (edited June 06, 2007).]

Comment

I've written a nice DOS program that I want to offer for sale on a web site I'll soon be constructing.
                          Please, this is a serious question, and not meant to sound "bashing", etc.

I am extremely curious to know what type of customer or what type of application would someone still buy that is DOS based? I can't for the life of me think of a single scenario where DOS is the preferred, or even accepted, application OS other than perhaps some highly specific embedded devices.

------------------
                          * Americans: Time for the right party
                          -------------------------
                          Read my Blog
                          Software makes Hardware Happen

Comment

DOS applications aren't easily distinguishable from console applications
                            in their outward appearance. So, to many users, it's a question of getting
                            the job done, if a DOS app gets the job done then why not use it? An added
                            advantage with DOS is that a well written app can be run on many platforms
                            such as all versions of windows, most macs, multiple *nix variants... by
                            means of VM's and emulators. That kind of portability is very hard to
                            achieve by any other means.

Few people understand why anyone would do things differently from them, I
                            guess it's just human nature. To a programmer, the advantages of 32-bit
                            code may seem too good to pass up. but to the end user the extra work that
                            the programmer has to do to write 16-bit code doesn't really mean a lot.
                            I have frequently answered questions such as: what is an operating system?
                            what does an OS do? How do I run my OS? What's the difference between 16-
                            bit and 32 bit? What is a bit?... It's not because people are dumb, but
                            because it doesn't really affect them in any way that they can personally
                            see. generally, users who express a preference have, probably, either done
                            some programming themselves(~3 or 4%), or have been told that 32-bit is
                            better by someone else and don't really have a preference of their own(the
                            rest).

I guess what it boils down to is that there are still a few users left who
                            have not formed a prejudice against dos apps yet. but their numbers are
                            dwindling as anti-DOS sentiment becomes more and more prevalent. Nice to
                            see that Micro$haft hasn't given up on it. I've noticed that windows xp
                            and vista include at least two versions of DOS. So the rumors of DOS's
                            death have been exaggerated a little, only time will tell by how much.

------------------

Comment

Buck,

Thanks for the comments. I see your point and have to agree mostly.

I guess I've been a bit sequestered in the business application market. I couldn't sell a console app if my life depended on it. My customer base is used to the GUI and anything short of a polished interface makes them think the app is inferior and worthless.

As I thought about this though, I do recall seeing a couple of POS systems that were console based, and POS is a large vertical. It seems to me though, that PB/CC is so close to the old DOS code that it would usually be preferred over a true DOS program, thus allowing the programmer all the advantages Windows has to offer. Of course, portability is a big issue in some vertical markets so it would make sense to use something with a closer common denominator.

All-in-all though, its nice to know that some people can still make a buck with DOS apps. I have very fond memories of PB1,2,3, and 3.5. I still remember the rush I got when my first TSR worked as planned...then I never used the feature again Sure was fun though.

------------------
                              * Americans: Time for the right party
                              -------------------------
                              Read my Blog
                              Software makes Hardware Happen

Comment

I had a similar problem recently, a legacy application (not PB) which output to the printer on stdout. The application had to work in a DOS or XP environment. Changed the application at a low level to create a file from the printed output and to run a user-specified program (different in XP and DOS) on completion of each report, very little new code required . The idea was to use a 3rd party utility to do the actual printing in XP, but I ended up coding a PBWin application which enabled the reports to be previewed when run in an XP environment. This application uses only non-PS fonts and adjusts the font and orientation according to the report width. It won't work properly if you use PS fonts, but of course the legacy application doesn't. This feature saved the user a lot of time and paper!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lameijn:
                                  You can keep using lprint. Should work with all Win-OS. Only thing is that printer must be also set up for command (DOS) windows.
                                  That's not always done properly. Can be done with "NET USE ..." or printer setup

Peter,
                                  Customers that may wish to use my program may or may not wish to go through the printer setup you describe especially if can be difficult.
                                  I'd like to look at options that are more user friendly... thanks for the reply though.
                                  Fred

------------------

Comment

...My program isn't that well suited to a Windows environment (and I'm not Windows programmer) so migrating the code to a Windows environment isn't a direction I wish to go....

...Customers that may wish to use my program may or may not wish to go through the printer setup you describe especially if can be difficult. I'd like to look at options that are more user friendly
                                    The good news is, you understand your challenge.

The bad news is, you now understand what is required to make your MS-DOS software work on non-MS-DOS systems.

Your best bet may be to either write yourself, contract for or purchase some kind of Windows-based utility which you can SHELL from your MS-DOS program....
                                    Code:
                                        OPEN printerfilename for output...
                                        PRINT #file, printline
                                        CLOSE #file
                                        SHELL  "theutility.exe " + printerfile [ + optionstring]
                                        ' option string might be "font=Arial,paper=8x11,printer=HP 870C,more options"
                                        ' or maybe the name of a configuration (INI) file
                                    (I thought someone here had something like this?).

MCM
                                    Michael Mattias
                                    Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
                                    Racine WI USA
                                    [email protected]
                                    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Lampart:
                                      My program isn't that well suited to a Windows environment
                                      As a matter of interest, will a PB DOS executable run OK as an XP console application?

------------------

Comment

Yes. Screen size issues are the only problem I've seen.
                                        Shelling may cause the screen to become minimized.
                                        Some DELL laptops refuse to allow full screen mode.
                                        Some issues corrected by using a WIDTH 80,25.

------------------
                                        How long is an idea? Write it down.

Comment

Working...
                                        X