Can't do virtual arrays in Win 98/MS-DOS Prompt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't do virtual arrays in Win 98/MS-DOS Prompt

I am using PowerBasic 3.5 for DOS. I am trying to run a program that uses large VIRTUAL ARRAYS from the MS-DOS Prompt in Windows 98, but get an:

ERROR 202

Expansion memory error.

How can I set up Windows 98 to allow me to use VIRTUAL ARRAYS in this way? I have 128 MBytes of RAM.

Also, while we/you are at it, it would be nice if I could set up a RAM drive to be used from the MS-DOS Prompt.

John Fritz

Using Explorer, right-click on PB.EXE (and any other MSDOS file that opens a DOS window) and select Properties | Memory, and set the EMS settings accordingly.

As far as a ram-drive goes, that is beyond the realm of PowerBASIC support, sorry. I seem to recall discussions on this however... try searching the BBS for "RAM DRIVE".

------------------
    Lance
    PowerBASIC Support
    mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
    Lance
    mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Using Explorer, right-click on PB.EXE (and any other MSDOS file that opens a DOS window) and select Properties | Memory, and set the EMS settings accordingly.
      In Windows 95, this presuposes that a memory management driver (such as EMM366.EXE) has been loaded to enable emulation support of EMS memory. Not sure if this is still the case in Win98.

Also, while we/you are at it, it would be nice if I could set up a RAM drive to be used from the MS-DOS Prompt
      Windows 95 (and I assume Windows 98 also) comes with the Micro$oft RAM disc driver, RAMDRIVE.SYS. This must be loaded in your CONFIG.SYS file with a DEVICE/DEVICEHIGH statement.
      If you try to make something idiot-proof, someone will invent a better idiot.

Comment

Sorry, but EMM386 does NOT need to be loaded with WIN95 to get EMS support for your DOS app's. I know this to be true... I run Win95a and have never even had a CONFIG.SYS file on my DEV PC, leave alone an EMM386 entry.

------------------
        Lance
        PowerBASIC Support
        mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
        Lance
        mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Sorry, but EMM386 does NOT need to be loaded with WIN95 to get EMS support for your DOS app's. I know this to be true... I run Win95a and have never even had a CONFIG.SYS file on my DEV PC, leave alone an EMM386 entry.
          Your experience was not my experience with Windows 95c. I have to have HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE loaded because if not, Windows 95 will refuse to load, complaining of insufficient memory. I had to remove the NOEMS option to use EMS memory in DOS boxes.
          If you try to make something idiot-proof, someone will invent a better idiot.

Comment

Working...
          X