Email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email

Is it possible to acces the internet, Upload & download Email using PB3.5 for DOS ?

Sort of. You must have a DOS-based TCP/IP stack, a PPP driver (for dial-up access), and proper headers for all the necessary function calls (which are normally implemented as interrupt calls). I do not know if anyone even sells DOS TCP/IP stacks any more, but when they were available, they were quite expensive (about $200 per end user), and the SDKs were normally written for C, so you had to do a lot of code conversion before doing the work in PowerBASIC.

A few years ago, I translated part of the SDK for FTP Software's PC/TCP stack (for a client), and it was a very painful experience.

So, yes, it can be done, but it is not really feasible. If you are using 32-bit Windows, you already have a TCP/IP stack. I highly recommend you give PB/CC a try. It directly supports Internet access and is fairly similar to PB/DOS.

Alan

------------------
    Alan C. Earnshaw
    Information Management Systems, Inc.
    http://www.infoms.com
    Alan C. Earnshaw
    Information Management Systems, Inc.
    http://www.infoms.com

Comment

Of course, if your DOS code is running under Windows 95 or better, your DOS code can (almost) seamlessly SHELL to PB/CC applications - this means that you can add a lot of Windows horsepower to existing DOS applications, simply by harnessing the power of PB/CC *and* your existing PB/DOS code... think of adding email, ftp, printing, and huge memory (2Gb) usage to your DOS code through the simple SHELL statement, without the need to abandon or port all of your existing code to WIn32.

I like to think of PB/CC and PB/DOS together as the "Power-Combo"!

Hey Bob... I just had an idea...!

------------------
      Lance
      PowerBASIC Support
      mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
      Lance
      mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Thanks,

At the moment I just use DOS based systems, however I have purchased Otex Lan www.OTEX.com.

This network software lets you mix Windows & dos based systems on the same network.

------------------

Comment

It is easy to mix DOs and Windows PC with MS DOS and Windows 3.x (or better) too. FOr example, I have a 286 running as a print server. I used a 386 and installed Windows 3.11 (it requires a 386 to install & run), configured the network card and the 10base2 network, then transplanted the HD and the network card into a 286 PC and set the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS to load the realmode drivers. That got the 286 running as a DOS client.

Next, I downloaded the updated NET.EXE (and associated file) from MS's FTP site, and installed them into the 286.

The updated NET.EXE provides printer and file sharing facilities... the net (no pun intended) result was a 20Mb 286 with 2Mb of RAM hosting 2 printers on a peer network of about 10 PC's... the printing speed on the dotmatrix printers generating 4x4 labels with bitmapped graphics is actually quite reasonable! There is no monitor on it now, and it's been running for 3 years without a glitch (except that it needs to be restarted every monday morning, but it has a cheap 7-day timer switch to automate that now too!)

It was certainly better than throwing the old 286 out, and as I had a legal licence for Win3.11 and MSDOS it squeezes some extra value out the original purchase cost of the items. I guess the hardware is worth about NZ$10, so it is probably the cheapest "recycled" print server in New Zealand!

------------------
          Lance
          PowerBASIC Support
          mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
          Lance
          mailto:[email protected]

Comment

You may also want to look at Little Big LAN. You can mix DOS'ses of different versions Doze 3.1 to 95. I am not sure about Win 2000 or Win98 though. Search for the product online.

Little BIG Lan is easy to configure and can be tweaked to do and look like anything.

Anton

------------------

Comment

RE: Posted By Alan

Sort of. You must have a DOS-based TCP/IP stack, a PPP driver (for dial-up access), and proper headers for all the necessary function calls (which are normally implemented as interrupt calls). I do not know if anyone even sells DOS TCP/IP stacks any more, but when they were available, they were quite expensive (about $200 per end user), and the SDKs were normally written for C, so you had to do a lot of code conversion before doing the work in PowerBASIC.
              A few years ago, I translated part of the SDK for FTP Software's PC/TCP stack (for a client), and it was a very painful experience.

I am the client Alan helped. FTP Software was bought by
              NetManage a few years ago and they still sell the DOS TCP/IP stack. Their product called PCTCP ver 5.0 is a full TCP/IP communications product for DOS and is very mature. They also
              still sell the Software Developer's Kit. Alan was able to
              do whatever so that I can write programs in PBDOS and access
              the stack. I wanted to send and receive short UDP and TCP messages for the purpose of communicating with industrial DAQ
              and sensors over an ethernet LAN in our plant. I have written
              many useful and simple programs all in PBDOS. Alan did a
              great job at a very reasonable cost.

------------------

Comment

Working...
              X