Announcement

Collapse

New Sub-Forum

In an effort to help make sure there are appropriate categories for topics of discussion that are happening, there is now a sub-forum for databases and database programming under Special Interest groups. Please direct questions, etc., about this topic to that sub-forum moving forward. Thank you.
See more
See less

File dates are incorrect on server.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File dates are incorrect on server.

I have a PB 3.5 application that uses the append method for opening a file on a Windows NT server. The problem is the file date seems to be 2060. The day and time are correct but the year is 2060. Has this ever happened to anyone before? I am sure the local computer date is set correctly, in fact if i save the file locally and move it to the server the date is correct. I am using Dos Client for NT networking. This problem didn't exist when the application was written in Quickbasic. Any ideas???

Rick

I had the same problem. Turns out I was using some PB-supplied file date and time routines which were not Y2K-compliant. They were using some kind of comaprison based on subtracting 80 or 1980 or something.

Anyway, are you setting the date yourself with a DOS call? or just using OPEN..CLOSE?

MCM
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
    Racine WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

All I am doing is opening the file for append and then adding data and closing it. I am not modifying the file in any other way.

Rick

------------------
      mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Comment

Sounds like it's time to build one of those goody bags for PB support: code, hardware/operating system on server and clients, examples, etc. Not fun.

Unless... you said the file date appears wrong. *Where* does it appear wrong? Using Explorer or some other software? From a DOS DIR command? Using DTA views from within your application? When interrogated in another application program?

I KNOW that the "2060" date came up for me in one of my applications (it was a Win/16 PB/DLL v 2.0 app). Turns out the file was fine, but my program was reading it wrong.

------------------
        Michael Mattias
        Racine WI USA
        [email protected]
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
        Racine WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

This issue is just one of those "Now Why Is It Doing That" type things. Is it effecting the program, No. Is it going to stop production, No. Should I worry about it, Well Yes. Does it irritate me , YES. This date of 2060 shows up when doing a DOS Dir command, of through Windows Explorer from the server or any workstation. I am confident that it is how the PB program is creting the file and appending to it because, nothing has changed that would be causing this over when the application was wrote in Quickbasic. I guess I'll get all my info together and post a technical support request to the PB Gurus and see what they say.

Rick

------------------

Comment

PB/DOS lets the operating system (via any applicable network redirector) to handle the dates and times applied to files - PB/DOS never makes any attempt to try to set or alter the time/date stamp in any way.

Therefore, there must be some other cause of your problem, other than PB/DOS - for example the server's date being incorrect.

Have you tried to duplicate the problem by opening a separate file in the same manner, and checking it's time stamp? What about local files, or files that are created "locally" on the server?

Also, have you tested how the O/S handles the file date/time when it is appended, if the file date/time is newer than the current server time/date?

IOW, the 'problem' is almost certainly NOT PowerBASIC. Sorry!

------------------
            Lance
            PowerBASIC Support
            Lance
            mailto:[email protected]

Comment

The first thing I checked was the server's date and time. They are correct. It sounds to me that the client for NT networking that I am using is probably the cause of this. I just don't understand why this never surfaced under Quickbasic. Well thanks to everyone for your help.

Rick

------------------

Comment

Working...
              X