DTASEG=REG(9)
    DTAOFF=REG(2)
    DEF SEG=DTASEG
    FILE.SIZE&=PEEKL(DTAOFF+26)
    DEF SEG
    END FUNCTION

[This message has been edited by Pat Bruening (edited June 19, 2000).]

Pat,

You might want to post code like this to the Source Code forum. It seems like it might find a wider audience there...

Alan

------------------
    Alan C. Earnshaw
    Information Management Systems, Inc.
    http://www.infoms.com
    Alan C. Earnshaw
    Information Management Systems, Inc.
    http://www.infoms.com

Comment

Pat,

You've made me curious... What makes these routines so special? And why would I use them instead of:
      Code:
      OPEN Filename$ FOR BINARY AS #1
      PUT$ #1, S$
      CLOSE #1
      and:
      Code:
      OPEN Filename$ FOR BINARY AS #1
      GET$ #1, LOF(1), S$
      CLOSE #1
      ------------------
      Sebastian Groeneveld
      mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
      Sebastian Groeneveld

Comment

Sebastian,

Your routine may be smaller, but it requires an extra DOS channel
        My routine does not use a DOS-channel other than whatDOS already uses. Hence, it is quick. Further, you do not have to be aware of what DOS-channels are available. Your solution implies that
        DOS-channel #1 is not currently being used for another purpose.
        Hence there is some overhead to determine if it is free to use.

Thanks for the comment.

Pat

[This message has been edited by Pat Bruening (edited June 21, 2000).]

Comment

Hi Pat,

interresting idea to save string$ on Harddisk.

Is it possible to save UDT Strings too(Type...end Type) ?

Is it possible to make a hole file system with quicker access as
          in binary mode ?

Do you have any problems with memory chrashes as written in the
          PB User´s Guide ?

Thanks for answere !

Matthias Kuhn

------------------

Comment

I don't think I've ever heard the term "DOS channel", so I'm not sure what point is being made. If you're talking about file handles, however, there's no advantage to either technique. BLOAD and BSAVE have to allocate a file handle in just the same way that OPEN does.

It's not necessary to use a specific file number in PowerBASIC. The FREEFILE function returns an available file number. Note that a BASIC file number is not the same as a DOS file handle, although every file number is associated with a file handle if the file (or device) is open...

------------------
            Tom Hanlin
            PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for responding. I do not know what to call what DOS needs
              to open a file, or screen, or disk. I call it a DOS channel.
              Altho it is true that BLOAD/BSAVE require a handle, the programmer does not have to know what it is. I assume that BSAVE/BLOAD uses one of the 5 system channels the manual talks about. Sebastian's routine is much simplier than mine. Thanks Sebastian. But if you don't want to "OPEN" a file, you can use
              BSAVE/BLOAD.

Pat

Comment

I assume that BSAVE/BLOAD uses one of the 5 system channels the manual talks about.
                Sorry, but this is not correct. BSAVE uses one of the available file handles to operate. Unless the number of file handles has been increased, BSAVE will fail with an error 67 if there are already 15 file handles in use. Try it for yourself!

It is true that the O/S "reserved" 5 handles - it uses them for the standard devices (CONS, KYBD, PRN, NUL, etc)

------------------
                Lance
                PowerBASIC Support
                Lance
                mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Matthias Kuhn,

Thanks for you inquiry about BSAVE and BINARY use with UDT.
                  I am able to use a pointer to a UDT and transfer its data to a
                  string and then save the string. But I am not yet able to reverse the process; that is, change a string into a UDT.

Can a whole file system by used with strings? Yes. Since BINARY
                  mode can save a string, a string can contain many records, with
                  each field delimited by a character (like a comma) and each record by a CR/LF pair. Items can be put into the string in
                  ASCII order, retrieved in order, etc. A real file management
                  system. The down side is the maximum length is 32K. If PBCC is
                  used, the limit is 2 gigs - enough for the average size file.

I have found NO CRASHES in using such a file.

Pat

Comment

Exchanging a UDT and a string:

Code:
                    DIM MyUDT as MyUDTType
                    A$ = MyUDT       ' copy the UDT structure data into a string
                    LSET MyUDT = A$  ' copy the string into a UDT structure

------------------
                    Lance
                    PowerBASIC Support
                    Lance

Comment

Pat Bruening,

thanks for answere, but I´ve only PB 3.5 so it is too less
                      memory for my main files. But for read´in index-files or pre-
                      setting files or files to change information between different
                      programs it is very useable.

Regards

Matthias Kuhn

------------------

Comment

Lance,

Thanks for the info on saving/retrieving a UDT to/from a string.

Pat

------------------

Comment

Lance,

Thanks for the string to UDT and back again. Can you tell me if
                          it is possible to save the TYPE...END TYPE structure to disk not the data but the structure? Thanks
                          Pat

Comment

During compilation, PowerBASIC uses the structure definition to generate the compiled code - the UDT structure definition is not required at runtime, so it is not "included" in the code. The only way to save a UDT structure definition to disk is for you to write a routine to do it - I usually define by UDT structures in separate INC files, so if necessary I can read one at runtime and parse the structure.

However, as a UDT structure is not required at runtime by the compile code, saving the structure is of limited use in "conventional" application design.

If you need to be able to dynamically work with record "structures" in PB/DOS, then maybe you should look at using flex-strings instead - they can be dynamically mapped at runtime.

Note that flex-strings are native only to PB/DOS - there is no direct equivalent in our Window's compiler range. UDT's and Unions are available in all PowerBASIC compilers. If you plan to port your code to Windows eventually, then choose your approach to data structures carefully - the decision can affect the amount of effort involved in porting code.

------------------
                            Lance
                            PowerBASIC Support
                            Lance

Comment

For "DOS channel", substitute "file handle". BSAVE and BLOAD allocate file handles in exactly the same way as the OPEN statement.

In reference to system handles, every DOS program has five handles that are already allocated. These handles are:

0 - standard input (stdin, or CON in DOS)
                              1 - standard output (stdout, or CON in DOS)
                              2 - standard error output (stderr)
                              3 - standard auxiliary I/O (stdaux, or AUX or COM1 in DOS)
                              4 - standard printer output (stdprn, or PRN or LPT1 in DOS)

You can gain more file handles for your program by closing any unwanted system handles.

asm mov ah,&H3E ; close file handle
                              asm mov bx,HANDLE ; handle number goes here
                              asm int &H21 ; do it!

------------------
                              Tom Hanlin
                              PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Tom hit it right ...

If you will simply set up a small integer array such as FL%(#)
                                and use it, you can keep track of them yourself. Execute FREEFILE
                                and return the next available handle to the storage array. Then
                                use element FL%(#) for all references to the files in your program.
                                When you close a file, reset that element to zero as well.

That way, you can forget about what actual handle is being used
                                for any file. If an element is non-zero, the handle is in use.

If you run over the cap of 20, you can set more in the your open
                                statements ... Typically, in DOS-VDM operations in OS/2 I use
                                a FILES=50 statement as protection. In a fairly complex program
                                suite here, I've never had to expand the given program to more
                                than 20 file open at one time, although I have a number of my
                                executables that do use the full 20 all at one time, as well as
                                up to four Btrieve open files and some shell operations as well
                                in the same executeable. I've never gon to TSR's so I have
                                no idea what they add that 'DOS' can't see, but they must!

[This message has been edited by Mike Luther (edited June 26, 2000).]
                                Mike Luther
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X