Announcement

Collapse

New Sub-Forum

In an effort to help make sure there are appropriate categories for topics of discussion that are happening, there is now a sub-forum for databases and database programming under Special Interest groups. Please direct questions, etc., about this topic to that sub-forum moving forward. Thank you.
See more
See less

Lost Cursor in PB-DOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Cursor in PB-DOS

I've used DOS PowerBasic almost every day since it was TurboBasic, and have never seen this before yesterday: Occasionally the blinking underscore cursor just disappears.

PB is still working, if I arrow up enough to hit the top of the visible page it starts scrolling the page just as if the cursor were there, and if I move the invisible cursor to the left far enough it jumps to the end of the previous line and the line number goes up by one.

But, no cursor! I have to exit PB and restart.
    I haven't noticed any particular thing I was doing when it went AWOL.

Ideas?

Overwriting a reserved memory location &H4060 which holds the cursor end position? More likely than a spurios BIOS call to reset the cursor (Int 1&H10, function 1.

Comment

So, what do I do about it?

...anything I can look for to do, or stop doing?

Comment

Try forcing the 'cursor on' using the LOCATE function accordingly, and check the PB following internal variables: pbvCursor1 (first cursor scan line), pbvCursor2 (last cursor scan line) and pbvCursorVis (True/False: cursor visibility).
        "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

Found a Workaround but not the Cause

When the cursor disappears, do Debug...Reset_Display.

Why it happens, beats me!

Comment

If you are using plain DOS, try a code page refresh with
            MODE CON CP REF
            "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Gomide View Post
              Try forcing the 'cursor on' using the LOCATE function accordingly, and check the PB following internal variables: pbvCursor1 (first cursor scan line), pbvCursor2 (last cursor scan line) and pbvCursorVis (True/False: cursor visibility).
              That won't help, it sounds like he's experiencing this problem within the IDE.

Comment

I've had a similar problem with PBWin 8.04 where the cursor(caret) is invisible. This only occurs when I've had PBWin minimized. I select some text with the cursor(mouse pointer) and cut it out and paste it back and I have the cursor(caret) back. I'm running Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavilion. I've always been of the opinion that it was the operating system at fault. Only happens once in a while, and may be related to a program I ran while PB was minimized.

Rod
                Rod
                I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

Comment

Working...
                X