"GUI Library for PB-DOS" Contribution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gerhard Kropf View Post
    So, if you or anybody else is aware of a still available VESA/SVGA library, which

1. offers a real functional compatibility to PB/DOS graphic primitives (indeed not all) even with other names
    2. is still available, and not only inside a 20 years old Shareware archive, and the author still sell/support his library
    3. is not bloated with hundreds of unneeded functions and focus on the core (1.)

then I am more than willing to port my library to VESA/SVGA support.
    Drawing to the screen in VESA is pretty straightforward.
    Reading from the screen, not so much.
    I played around with it quite a bit in QC25 and QB45.
    I ended up with a mode12 GUI library for linking to QB45.
    All the graphics primitives and such are done in ASM in the QC25 code object.
    I've still got some VESA C code from 2004 that has lines, boxes, ovals and
    that sort of thing.
    The world is strange and wonderful.*
    I reserve the right to be horrifically wrong.
    Please maintain a safe following distance.
    *wonderful sold separately.

Comment

GuiLib for SVGA

It took me nearly one day to make my GuiLib routines SVGA ready. For this, I used the already existing SVGAPB library from Zephyr software.
      Everything works great, same commands used with normal GuiLib, but now supporting 256 colors and resolutions up to 1280x1024 ...

There is only one remaining issue. The underlaying SVGAPB library is only available as shareware archive, and official Zephyr website tells, that no further orders are taken anylonger.

So, as long as you can't get a legal full version of this library, my GuiLib SVGA makes not a lot sense for professional usage.

I already tried to contact the authors of SVGAPB, Mr. Sill and Mr. Balkum. So, hopefully I will get an answer ...

Dear Mr. Sill, dear Mr. Balkum,

in reference to
      http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=59292

I contribute a small GUI library to the PB community. Goal of this library
      was, to offer a Windows alike look and feel with plain PowerBasic/Dos under
      plain DOS running.

I already build the first versions of this library around 20 years ago. In
      the past 2 years, I spend some time and reworked it a bit, added some common
      "windows-style" objects and streamlined the plain basic code a bit.

As you know, PB/Dos only supports Screen 12. This is for many cases great
      and enough. But for many things, more colors and a higher resolution is
      desirable.
      In the past, Zephyrs SVGAPB fit this requirements perfect. And in the past 2
      days I also ported my GuiLibrary to use SVGAPB as base for all available
      supported VESA and SVGA modes.

Everything works perfect, same functionality, but now with 256 colors and a
      much higher resolution ...

And I also would like to contribute this GuiLib_SVGA to the PowerBasic
      community.

But now my issue. My GUI framework makes only sense together with your
      SVGAPB library.
      Unfortunately, this library is only available as Shareware archive, and
      official Zephyr website tells, that no licences are anylonger sold.

Now, my question is

is there ANY way for me or others who like to use my GuiLib SVGA library, to
      get/buy a full version of the underlaying Zephyrs SVGAPB library? And if so,
      how?

Many thanks and best regards

Gerry Kropf

Comment

I was using IconToolBox for QB. I not know if is possible use this with PowerBasic for DOS...but working fine GUI. This was
        sell by Jw: Software with source code and OBJ. I am registered user...may be is possible use with PB for DOS?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Israel Vega Alvarez 2; 30 May 2015, 02:27 AM.

Comment

GuiLib for SVGA

And here we go ...

GuiSVGA.bas contains all adapted routines to use together with Zephyr's SVGAPB library.

GuiSVGA uses the exact same commands than the original Screen12 GuiLib library for plain PB/Dos, there are only 3 little differences.

1. "GuiInit" becames "GuiInit mode" where
          GuiInit 1 is 640x480x256
          GuiInit 2 is 800x600x256
          GuiInit 3 is 1024x768x256
          GuiInit 4 is 1260x1024x256

2. GuiExit
          Due to correct screenhandling, there is now also a GuiExit command. This command should be added as last command before you end your code. GuiExit just reset all screen-settings to normal textmode.

3. All commands with color parameter accept colors from 0-255.

And don't forget to include/link the correct SVGAPB.inc and SVGAPB.LIB into your code ...

Due to the nature of SVGAPB and the memory usage of its modules, code can't be executed directly inside the PBIDE with F9. You must compile your code to an external exe first, exit the IDE and run the built exe ...

Have fun

Gerry
          Attached Files

Comment

Final Release (for now)

Due to the nature of this board, I am neither able to modify nor able to update the existing library archive.
            Attachements are also limited to an user-account, so I guess it is no good idea to share updates directly here via board hosting.
            It is also not possible to edit the first posting after some time to show changes without walking thru the whole thread ...

Finally I decided to host the library archive on some public available space.

In the future, please go to

www.china-bizz.com/software/powerbasic/

and download the most actual version. This version replaces all existing previous ones ...

Now, there are 2 libraries, the original GuiLib (plain PB Screen12) and GuiSVGA (Zephyr SVGA modes). Both libraries offer exact same functions with exact same parameters.
            Due to this, the format for external fonts and icons changed slightly.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions for new objects or new functions, feel free and send me a PM

Have fun

G.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard Kropf View Post
              GuiLib for SVGA

It took me nearly one day to make my GuiLib routines SVGA ready. For this, I used the already existing SVGAPB library from Zephyr software.
              Everything works great, same commands used with normal GuiLib, but now supporting 256 colors and resolutions up to 1280x1024 ...

There is only one remaining issue. The underlaying SVGAPB library is only available as shareware archive, and official Zephyr website tells, that no further orders are taken anylonger.

So, as long as you can't get a legal full version of this library, my GuiLib SVGA makes not a lot sense for professional usage.

I already tried to contact the authors of SVGAPB, Mr. Sill and Mr. Balkum. So, hopefully I will get an answer ...

Dear Mr. Sill, dear Mr. Balkum,

in reference to
              http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=59292

I contribute a small GUI library to the PB community. Goal of this library
              was, to offer a Windows alike look and feel with plain PowerBasic/Dos under
              plain DOS running.

I already build the first versions of this library around 20 years ago. In
              the past 2 years, I spend some time and reworked it a bit, added some common
              "windows-style" objects and streamlined the plain basic code a bit.

As you know, PB/Dos only supports Screen 12. This is for many cases great
              and enough. But for many things, more colors and a higher resolution is
              desirable.
              In the past, Zephyrs SVGAPB fit this requirements perfect. And in the past 2
              days I also ported my GuiLibrary to use SVGAPB as base for all available
              supported VESA and SVGA modes.

Everything works perfect, same functionality, but now with 256 colors and a
              much higher resolution ...

And I also would like to contribute this GuiLib_SVGA to the PowerBasic
              community.

But now my issue. My GUI framework makes only sense together with your
              SVGAPB library.
              Unfortunately, this library is only available as Shareware archive, and
              official Zephyr website tells, that no licences are anylonger sold.

Now, my question is

is there ANY way for me or others who like to use my GuiLib SVGA library, to
              get/buy a full version of the underlaying Zephyrs SVGAPB library? And if so,
              how?

Many thanks and best regards

Gerry Kropf

I tryed those libraries, and really I love them!!!
              I whould like to buy those libraries, and I mailed my request: I've yet no received answers :'(
              It's not abandonware, but it's strange they don't sell anymore a so interesting software

I've found this interesting link with some informations about alternative libraries :
              http://www.brackeen.com/vga/resource.html

I've found also those link:

https://scitechdd.wordpress.com

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=346

..Those SciTech drivers were famous, maybe there is a way to use them with PBDOS35, at the moment I was not able to find more..

Well .. I answered to an old message so, if in the meantime you've found a solution, please inform me

Cheers,
              Marcello

Comment

The only answer I ever got was "use it as it is" ... so I just do this without any more care ... the downloadable "shareware" version has no limitations so far ...

Comment

Thank you very much for this Gerhard and I totally agree with your reasons for keeping on with DOS and PB for DOS

Comment

I've started now to learn this PBDOS and the Zephir's library, maybe part of what I do could be useful for everyone

I include a .PDF version of the manual I've made for me just to view easily and to "copy and past" the code avoiding the page numbers O

Cheers

SVGAPB.repaginated.pdf

Comment

Hi Marcello,

Your link is broken!

Cheers
                      "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Gomide View Post
                        Hi Marcello,

Your link is broken!

Cheers

Hi Arthur

*Now* I'm using another PC, and I tryed the same "link" on this forum to download the .PDF file I sent using this portal on 28.Nov : ..I downloaded the file correctly, so I don't see the problem

May you check another time please?

I'll try to send the file directly to you, maybe there is an option to send private files through this portal (at the moment I've not checked)

Cheers

Comment

I try another time

SVGAPB.repaginated.pdf

Comment

Hi Marcello,

Your link is broken!

Cheers

Hi Arthur

As I wrote you, I logged to the forum from another PC and I see the attachment..
                            ..but if I don't log to the forum I don't see the attachment

Maybe I've not the rights to post attachments : sorry, I don't know!

I *suppose* there is something related to my rights to post files here: please give me a private message with an eMail address of you, I'll send the .PDF with the eMail

Cheers

Comment

Hi Marcello

Just FYI the links in both postings (#29 and #32) work just fine here.
                              Rgds, Dave

Comment

Marcello, your forum status (shown below your name) is "Awaiting Approval". Until an Admin approves your membership you won't have full access to the system. Adam J. Drake
                                "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Hi Marcello,

For some reason, the link is working now!

Very thanks for your PM.

Cheers.
                                  "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pearson View Post
                                    Marcello, your forum status (shown below your name) is "Awaiting Approval". Until an Admin approves your membership you won't have full access to the system. Adam J. Drake
                                    Tnx! I've just sent a private message 2 the Drake
                                    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Biggs View Post
                                      Hi Marcello

Just FYI the links in both postings (#29 and #32) work just fine here.
                                      Thanks!

Comment

Hi Marcello,

For some reason, the link is working now!

Very thanks for your PM.

Cheers.
                                        Thanks 2 U!

I've some of ideas, I'm studing them
                                        I'll post something when those ideas will start to grow: I don't program from a lot of years, so I need some time to study and remember things.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                        X