Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PB/CC and PB/DOS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PB/CC and PB/DOS

    When Ive finished making my wham-bam spectacular DOS program, is it worth porting it to PB/CC? (ie. for my customers who use it through Windows rather than DOS). Obviously the DOS version runs fine under Windows, so should I bother making a PB/CC version as well?
    Thanks very much,
    Wayne


    ------------------
    -

  • #2
    Ask your customers and prospects?

    MCM
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
    Racine WI USA
    mmatti[email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Wayne --

      > should I bother making a PB/CC version as well?

      If all you are going to do is a direct port, then I'd say No. What's the point? (Unless your customers/prospects care, as Michael said.)

      But porting to PB/CC would allow your program to do a lot of things that a PB/DOS program can't do. Even simple things like changing the console caption and using Long File Names might make it worth doing.

      -- Eric


      ------------------
      Perfect Sync Development Tools
      Perfect Sync Web Site
      Contact Us: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

      [This message has been edited by Eric Pearson (edited July 26, 2001).]
      "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

      Comment


      • #4
        My app doesn't use any APIs so I don't need to port it to PB/CC simply to do things that can't be done in PB/DOS, Im just wondering strictly about performance. If there are performance improvements to be gained out of a PB/CC version then I'll happily make one, but if it's going to be just the same as the PB/DOS one then obviously a port would be pretty much useless...


        ------------------
        -

        Comment


        • #5
          Currently, I am using both.

          M$ Basic PDS7 & PBCC, actually.

          For example, I have just converted some printout code to use the Windows print API by dumping a file & then shelling to a small PBCC prog to print it, instead of printing it out of PDS7.

          I shall also use a similar technique to email reports.

          I have far too much stuff to convert it, I tried, 90% went really easily, the remaining 10%, well..........

          ------------------

          Comment


          • #6
            Some more on the above topic, I have just tried LFN in PDS7, and it works! (But only in windows)

            INT21 AX=714Eh for Findfirst, etc.

            Ralf Brown's essential Interrupt docs. (available on this site) reveals all.

            ------------------

            Comment

            Working...
            X