Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PB DOS 3.5 Not Listed in Product Catalog - What's The Story?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB DOS 3.5 Not Listed in Product Catalog - What's The Story?

Greetings .....

Just now noticed that as of today March 3rd 2017 Powerbasic DOS 3.5 is not listed on the product catalog page. However, the PB DOS 3.5 description page is still active.

Is PBDOS-3.5 being discontinued?

Thanks, Frank Ferrell

I was wondering the same thing. Sent an email but no response.
    www.posemotion.com

Even the vine knows it surroundings but the man with eyes does not.

Comment

I was wondering why it lasted this long. different views ...
      Dale

Comment

If it is no longer sold: is it now free or "dead" in the sense, that no one will be able to get it legaly from PB anymore...?

Comment

Maybe it wasn't included in the sale to Drake. Can't see that it would have much sales potential as anyone who would want/need it likely has a copy.

Comment

The question for me is: Will it be legal to give a copy of the compiler in a bundle with the sourcecode of a program?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Dee View Post
              The question for me is: Will it be legal to give a copy of the compiler in a bundle with the sourcecode of a program?
              I would think not. Whether the PB DOS compiler was purchased by Drake or retained by Vivian Zale, it is still bound by the original license terms until it's owner says otherwise.
              Last edited by James OShea; 15 May 2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for this Info. I think it would be possible to get/buy a copy (again?), if someone needs one...

Comment

I would contact sales or Drake Software to see who has ownership. Maybe contact Gary as he might know what is going on with it.

Comment

Good idea. Thanks. :-)

Comment

Ok, there is an error in the PHP-Script of the menu: The side of PB/Dos still existst: https://www.powerbasic.com/pbdos.php
                      What is missing is a link to it anywhere...

Greetings...

Comment

Whether the PB DOS compiler was purchased by Drake or retained by Vivian Zale, it is still bound by the original license terms until it's owner says otherwise.
                        That is the correct answer to Andy's question. Somebody owns it.

The answer to the OP's question will have to come from Drake or Vivian Zale.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

I guess the real question is... Where is support to answer these questions? When is the "Downloads" webpage going to be back up? Why take it down if you had no immediate plans to finished it? Sorry but not digging the new owners at the moment. Hope they get their act together.
                          www.posemotion.com

Even the vine knows it surroundings but the man with eyes does not.

Comment

The question for me is: Will it be legal to give a copy of the [PowerBASIC for MS-DOS] compiler in a bundle with the sourcecode of a program?
                            You have multiple answers re legal ownship and copyright status.... BUT..

If the "FirstBASIC" product is available for download AND will compile your program that might be a solution. I cannot recall the terms of use, but if FB is "free for the download" maybe it could compile your existing source code OR you could find a way to modify your code written for version 3.5 so that it CAN compile and execute under FB.

It's a thought.. which might even be worth looking at assuming version 3.5 can be had by your customers desirous of same. .

Michael Mattias
                            Tal Systems Inc.
                            Racine WI USA
                            mmattias@talsystems.com
                            http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Andy,
                              ?????
                              You wrote a program, compiled with PBDOS and sold it to them. Why would the customers need a copy of PBDOS? It is not needed at run-time.
                              Even with your source code included, THEY are not PB customers, and your copy of PBDOS is for your use only.
                              Last edited by Dale Yarker; 15 Jun 2017, 01:24 PM.
                              Dale

Comment

You wrote a program, compiled with PBDOS and sold it to them. Why would the customers need a copy of PBDOS? It is not needed at run-time.
                                For the same reason I have a number of clients who have licensed PowerBASIC for Windows... to ensure their code will be maintainable; and this was always my recommendation.

Sometimes the original programmer is no longer available. (e.g., retired). Sometimes the user wants (or is MADE to want!) the maintenance flexibility offered by having your own compiler of a compatible version available.

Tell me YOU can modify software written using PB/DLL version 6.11! I don't care what skills you have, simple changes are not going to be so simple if you also have to upgrade the compiler.

Oh, while we are on the subject of providing source code... I really recommend you download ..

Source Code Bundler v 3 handles PBWIN v 7/8/9/10 and PBCC v 3/4/5/6 source code
                                ( source and executable).

Oh, you needed something to handle PB/DLL 5,6,7 and PB/CC 1,2,3? Then you need to get this one: http://www.powerbasic.com/files/pub/...SCBundle11.zip

Ain't nothing better than these to ensure you are providing all the correct #INCLUDE files to your clients. (I am not a neutral and unbiased party here).
                                Michael Mattias
                                Tal Systems Inc.
                                Racine WI USA
                                mmattias@talsystems.com

Comment

Then the customer needs to also be a PB customer. Check the licence. No argument will your logic on code maintenance, but PB is not his or yours to give or resell.
                                  Dale

Comment

Then the customer needs to also be a PB customer. Check the licence. No argument will your logic on code maintenance, but PB is not his or yours to give or resell.
                                    Absolutely correct. And they all were; and I never took so much as a nickel in "sales commission" or "referral fees" for any of my clients who licensed PB.

I did, however, receive permission from PB to supply PRIOR versions of the compiler when the user licensed what was then current. PB did confirm to me my clients who needed this service were, in fact, valid licensees of later versions. (I always ran a year or more behind using new versions. I was waiting for the first couple of maintenance releases).

I'll bet you can talk Mr. Drake into something very similar to this arrangement if yu need it.

MCM

Michael Mattias
                                    Tal Systems Inc.
                                    Racine WI USA
                                    mmattias@talsystems.com

Comment

We are currently working on a new website. When this new website is rolled out, PowerBASIC for DOS will be available. It will be licensed at no cost, but will NOT be public domain or freeware.
                                      Adam Drake
                                      Drake Software

Comment

>PowerBASIC for DOS will be available
                                        Good move!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X