Why not link post #19 directly?

Leave a comment:

• Dean Gwilliam
    replied
    see post 19 https://forum.powerbasic.com/forum/u...at-s-the-story

Leave a comment:

• keith shelton
    replied
    I don't think the Drakes bought the rites to PB Dos. I thought it was only the window products.
    KS

Leave a comment:

• Paul Purvis
    replied
    Chris Holbrook. You are not a consumer but a business identity. There is a difference. If it where me. I would separate myself from consumers. More than likely. The majority of members on this forum are not comsumers.
    If you have ever been paid for creating anything
    progeamminf wise. Your not a consumer. No I am not a lawyer but I know the difference. As long as Powerbasic does not keep keep any thing on you like cash sell GDPR should not apply. But I don't blame the supervision. I would think something like PayPal would provide you with cash a d Powerbasic can put
    it in other moneies received and end of story. Hell no you don't get a warrantee. Your a professional

Leave a comment:

• Paul Purvis
    replied
    Maybe you should buy a pencil from oowerbasic and get a free gift with it

Leave a comment:

• George Bleck
    replied
    Brice,

PowerBASIC DID sell the DOS version and may yet still sell, potentially, if you reach out to [email protected] directly. They just don't offer it on the website.

That said, I am sure Burger King does not enjoy people walking into their establishment asking patrons where they can buy tacos. Same sort of applies here

Leave a comment:

• Brice Manuel
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Holbrook View Post
    MSDOS is alive and well and living in a Virtualbox VM on one of my W10 PCs. There are other DOSs of course.
    Have you tried FreeDOS? It has been my preferred DOS variant for getting close to 20 years.

Brice, BBC BASIC is alive, and well,
    I know and never said it wasn't and happily use it. My comment was only on the DOS version (as I noted).

Leave a comment:

• Chris Holbrook
    replied
    Fascinating thread this!

MSDOS is alive and well and living in a Virtualbox VM on one of my W10 PCs. There are other DOSs of course.

Brice, BBC BASIC is alive, and well, and implemented even on Android! http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcbasic.html

Knuth,
    which field (still) uses DOS as an OS?
    I'm looking at embedded systems.

Thanks to all for opinions and suggestions..

Leave a comment:

• Brice Manuel
    replied
    Originally posted by David Roberts View Post

I am an English hillbilly coming from North Yorkshire. I came to the south of England in '75. A lot of folks down here bump into lamp-posts because they point their noses into the air. To be fair it was like that in '75 - it is not so bad nowadays - although they still bump into lamp-posts because they have their smartphones opened on social media. The northerners have smart 'phones but they tend to speak to each other.

The only family history over there, before we came over here, that I am aware of is being descended from Clan Hay on the Scottish side and the Hayes Clan on the Irish side. Were pretty much hillbillies over there, too. *big grin*

Leave a comment:

• David Roberts
    replied
    Originally posted by Brice
    As a hillbilly, I am used to being shunned.
    I am an English hillbilly coming from North Yorkshire. I came to the south of England in '75. A lot of folks down here bump into lamp-posts because they point their noses into the air. To be fair it was like that in '75 - it is not so bad nowadays - although they still bump into lamp-posts because they have their smartphones opened on social media. The northerners have smart 'phones but they tend to speak to each other.

Leave a comment:

• Brice Manuel
    replied
    Funny you should mention that because the latest version was published on 18th February. Quite a few folk, including me, have been badgering admin for some time.
    Nice to know, although with slightly more than three years between updates, it does not invalidate my comment, :c) But, I will no longer state it isn't being updated. I am glad to see it FINALLY being updated. I will definitely have to check it out as from a quick look, it appears to have fixed the issues with the 2D side.

Having said that it is amazing that I have two superb BASIC compilers.
    I have more than two and one can never have too many BASICs, LOL. I have used FB off and on since it was first released and was using it for teaching for years.

There are several from here, now there, sadly some that do not understand the product and the necessity for multi platform and are trying to turn it into a PowerB clone and divide the community in the process.

I am also convinced that elsewhere some folk won't talk to me or are at best a tad frosty because I was not born there. There is 'nowt' so funny as folk.
    All of my kin, come from the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. As a hillbilly, I am used to being shunned.

Leave a comment:

• David Roberts
    replied
    Originally posted by Brice
    He cannot buy it because it is no longer sold, regardless of where one may live.
    I didn't know that. I hope no one is 'winging' their way to New York as we speak to make a purchase.

FB has not been actively developed in years.
    Funny you should mention that because the latest version was published on 18th February. Quite a few folk, including me, have been badgering admin for some time. I have been using the nightly builds for ages without any issues. The problem is that the development pretty much rests on one guy's shoulders and he works full time as a contract electrician in Canada. It is very much a labour of love. Mind you PowerBASIC's developers were not exactly hanging out of the windows either. Having said that it is amazing that I have two superb BASIC compilers. However, I am convinced that some folk here won't talk to me because I now spend most of my time elsewhere. I am also convinced that elsewhere some folk won't talk to me or are at best a tad frosty because I was not born there. There is 'nowt' so funny as folk.

Leave a comment:

• Brice Manuel
    replied
    I think that Mr Holbrook may not have a copy of PowerBASIC for DOS and cannot buy one because he lives in the UK. ComponentSource no longer sells PowerBASIC products but they are a dot com outfit so they may have been a deal breaker for UK folk as well.
    He cannot buy it because it is no longer sold, regardless of where one may live.

If somebody in the EU wants to purchase something here in the USA, they simply do it the way those of us in the USA bought foreign software in the early 90s, when physical products were still shipped and many smaller software houses (understandably) would not ship overseas to us here.

You could also purchase PB products in the same way people had to purchase it when Bob banned them from buying it.

FreeBASIC still supports DOS, as Brice mentioned, and has a DOS sub-forum but I have never used it nor visited that sub-forum so I am in no position to recommend it.
    I can't recommend it, either. I have not used it in years, and FB has not been actively developed in years, and the last developer tried to undo everything the previous guy had done and added a lot of unnecessary garbage. There used to be a DOS version of BBC BASIC (I have it somewhere), but I doubt that is still being sold. Oddly enough, I still use the DOS version of PB.

Leave a comment:

• Brice Manuel
    replied
    Originally posted by George Bleck View Post
    Although it is not strictly forbidden by the current Rule & Guidelines, many might consider it inappropriate to discuss alternates to PowerBASIC products on these forums as it takes away from the very reason the forums exist, to support and promote the PowerBASIC products themselves.
    Nobody is discussing alternates to PB products in this thread. The DOS version of PB is no longer sold and has not been sold in some time. There is no loss of $$ in discussing something that no longer exists as you cannot have a competing product for a nonexistent product..

Leave a comment:

• David Roberts
    replied
    I think that Mr Holbrook may not have a copy of PowerBASIC for DOS and cannot buy one because he lives in the UK. ComponentSource no longer sells PowerBASIC products but they are a dot com outfit so they may have been a deal breaker for UK folk as well.

I hadn't given this any thought but suppose I was Joe Bloggs living in Liverpool, England. How would I buy PB/Win 10, for example? Europe is one big bruiser of a market.

FreeBASIC still supports DOS, as Brice mentioned, and has a DOS sub-forum but I have never used it nor visited that sub-forum so I am in no position to recommend it.

I suppose Europeans could fly to New York, buy a PowerBASIC product and then fly back. However that would be a tad expensive exercise and, possibly, run the risk of being arrested and given a life sentence. Maybe not.

Leave a comment:

• George Bleck
    replied
    Although it is not strictly forbidden by the current Rule & Guidelines, many might consider it inappropriate to discuss alternates to PowerBASIC products on these forums as it takes away from the very reason the forums exist, to support and promote the PowerBASIC products themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Knuth Konrad
    replied
    I'm assuming that PowerBASIC products are no longer available, or are unsupported, in Europe.
    Hmm, I'd phrase that differently: MS-DOS is no longer supported. Hence I suspect that of all the PB products, PB-DOS might be of the lowest priority for the Drakes.

I'm curious: why do you still need PB-DOS? IAW: which field (still) uses DOS as an OS?

Leave a comment:

• Mike Doty
    replied
    PDS 7.1 with PocketSoft RTLink overlays and Crescent Software QuickPak.
    Here is a pretty good list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickBASIC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X