API Calls from a PB-DOS 3.5 Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• API Calls from a PB-DOS 3.5 Application

O.K. Lance, now that your PBGaz-28 article on the subject has got me fired up
    where can I find the following on the PB site:

PBDLL.Hlp, PBCC.Hlp and WIN32.Hlp

Had a look in the PB Files Library but can't see a hint of where they could be.

I got the PBCC, not installed, not needing it just yet, if ever.

------------------

WIN32.HLP can be found at http://www.powerbasic.com/files/pub/mstools/win32.zip (8Mb download)

The other two ship along with the PB/DLL and PB/CC compilers, respectively. They are not available separately.

BTW, using RUNDLL32 is one way to call a small selection of API calls, but the best way to do it is to write console applications with PB/CC... you might just want to install it and read the help file...

Note that the x.11 editions of PB/DLL and PB/CC have vastly improved help files over the x.00 editions... you might want to consider updating if you don't have the latest editions.

...Go on!!! Don't be scared of the Windows API!

------------------
    Lance
    PowerBASIC Support
    mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
    Lance
    mailto:[email protected]

Comment

I ain't scared of nothing or nobody

Not after what I have been through in 73 years, including a spell in the
      German army as a 16 year old soldier in the last days of the war, with
      real bullets whizzing past my ears and getting bombed out by your B27s
      in Vienna 1944, sitting in the cellar of our apartments block while the
      building above us collapsed into rubble and choking dust. I could write
      a book

Felt no need just yet to try PPCC 2.00 and the PowerTree I got at the
      same time. BTRIEVE is the best File Manager there is. But working with
      APIs is a new challenge to test my brain, thanks to your article. Making
      things work gives me a buzz, proving that I can still do it. Will update
      my PBCC 2.00 to the 2.11 version.

UP, UP and AWAY, SUPERMAN

------------------

Comment

Go for it!

Just a quick note: if you have PB/CC 2.00 installed already, then it is best to install the 2.10 update into a clean directory, then apply the 2.11 update to that...

------------------
        Lance
        PowerBASIC Support
        Lance

Comment

WIN32.Hlp

"Maximizing Search Capabilites" performs an "Illegal Operation" :
          "INVALID PAGE FAULT in KERNEL32.DLL"

Now that is just a simple job Windows is being asked to perform

------------------

Comment

Which O/S are you using? (I'd guess Win98 which seems to have a dislike for large help files!)

For NT-based systems, log in as Administrator just to verify that priviledges are not the cause of your problem.

Are you using a dual-boot system (ie, more than one version of Windows?)

Anyway, here are a few things to try.
            [*]Ensure you have installed all Windows service packs, patches, etc.
            [*]Install WIN32.HLP and support files to their own directory - don't install them into a directory with other files.
            [*]Make sure all directories in the tree chain to the WIN32.HLP file are NOT set for Read-only/Hidden/System.
            [*]Ensure you have plenty of free HD space (the keyword search file can get pretty large).
            [*]Do a search of your whole PC for WIN32.* and delete _all_ copies of files named WIN32.GID, WIN32.FTS, WIN32.FTG.
            [*]Remove/Move any DLL files that are present in the same folder as the HLP file.

I hope this helps. Please note that the WIN32.HLP file is not a PowerBASIC product (it's a MS product!).

If you are still having problems after that lot, then please let me know via email, and I'll see what else I can suggest once I know more about your particular setup.

Thanks!

------------------
            Lance
            PowerBASIC Support
            Lance

Comment

Originally posted by OTTO WIPFEL:
              WIN32.Hlp

"Maximizing Search Capabilites" performs an "Illegal Operation" :
              "INVALID PAGE FAULT in KERNEL32.DLL"

Now that is just a simple job Windows is being asked to perform

I believe I saw a MSKB article that stated the cause of invalid
              page fault errors in kernel32.dll as being caused by software
              installs replacing the oringinal dll with another version
              The solution is to find the original Kernel32.dll that came with
              your version of windows and re-install it to your system.
              unfortunately I don't know any easy way to do this, maybe someone
              else here knows of one.

hope this helps

------------------

Comment

KERNEL32 is a core Windows DLL, so if that has been replaced by a non-MS Service Pack or Windows Update, I'd be a little surprised.

There are other sources of the WIN32 help file on the net - I believe it is a version availiable on the Borland FTP site, and with the freeware LCC compiler, and these reportedly install fine on machines that have problems with our licensed version.

IOW, those sites host slightly different versions to the one we are licensed to distribute. We've tried to get an update from Microsoft, but this file is apparently no longer updated by them... instead you have to download the Platform SDK at anywhere from 50 to 340Mb (depending on the options you choose).

That said, the PSDK is actively updated by MS, so while the download is painful (it can be obtained on CD for relatively low cost), obtaining a copy is very worthwhile for any Windows programmer (and the odd DOS programmer too!).

------------------
                Lance
                PowerBASIC Support
                Lance

Comment

Sorry about the unconfirmed, second hand reference to a non-existant
                  MSKB article . Here's a better one that really exists, and may actually
                  be in some way helpful in the current situation.

This is from KB article Q231819

SYMPTOMS
                  When you click on the Index tab of the Windows 98 Help you may receive the following error message:

This Program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
                  If you click details you will see one of the following error message:
                  "Hh caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll at <address>"
                  "Hh caused an invalid page fault in module Unknown at <address>"
                  "Hh caused an invalid page fault in module Shlwapi.dll at <address>"

CAUSE
                  This issue can occur if the Hhctrl.ocx file in the Windows\System folder is damaged or an earlier version.

The Hhctrl.ocx file included in Microsoft Windows 98 is version 4.72.7325 and is 378,880 bytes.

RESOLUTION
                  To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of the Hhctrl.ocx file from the Windows 98 CD-ROM.

For information about using the Extract tool, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

MORE INFORMATION
                  If you have upgraded to Internet Explorer 5 then all the Help Files
                  should be Extracted from the Hhupd.cab file included with Internet Explorer 5.

The following table lists the contents of the Hhupd.cab cabinet file.

File Name Size Date Time
                  ----------------------------------------
                  Hh.exe 26,896 02-16-99 5:58p
                  Hhctrl.ocx 520,528 02-16-99 8:33p
                  Hhupdcab.inf 1,887 07-16-98 9:34a
                  Itircl.dll 138,000 10-15-98 2:19p
                  Itss.dll 138,048 10-15-98 2:19p

hope this helps

------------------

Comment

Thanks, but unfortunately those notes apply to "HTML Help" problems rather than "WinHelp" (hence the "HH" prefixes in the file names).

HTML Help generally uses files with the .CHM extension, whereas WinHelp generally uses files with the .HLP extension (ie, WIN32.HLP).

------------------
                    Lance
                    PowerBASIC Support
                    Lance

Comment

One more suggestion that some folks have reported success with... download and install "Help Workshop" (the free MS Winhelp compiler) -- download links can be found at http://www.helpmaster.com

------------------
                      Lance
                      PowerBASIC Support
                      Lance

Comment

Working...
                      X