NETWORK DataBases ACCESS 100 TIMES SLOWER WITH WINDOWS XP workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NETWORK DataBases ACCESS 100 TIMES SLOWER WITH WINDOWS XP workstations

HELP ! : DOS database softwares are 100 times slower with Windows XP on Pentium 4 machines in networks !

What a paradox to explain to our clients ! THEY DON’T UNDERSTAND NEITHER ME !

I am a French Engineer who developped specific professionnal softwares with B-Tree databases which run perfectly on small networks with a server (under Windows NT 4 Server) and 3-12 workstations under Windows 98, NT or XP. They don’t want to pay again for re-developped applications with « New » Windows 32 bits power tools ! ! like Windev
    All programs are developped with Microsoft PDS (Basic compiler 7.0) and Powerbasic modules
    My clients were very impressed by so fast access to databases and are quite satisfied with DELL DIMENSION 4100 machines 3 years old machines with only 64 Mo RAM and Pentium III 500 Mhz

Since they have to order new machines DELL DIMENSION 4500 or 8200 (Pentium 4 processor > 2 GHz, 256 Mo RAM or more) with Windows XP PRO, I thought that performances would be better ! But the result is 100 times slower ! ! ! especially on networks :

 Of course, I verified all network cards drivers installed by DELL (3Com or PCI RealTek RTL8139 Family 10/100 Mhz
     I made all Windows XP updates...
     I made all optimize tips known on Windows XP (See http://www.hotline-pc.org/whistlerastucesxp.htm)
     I spent hours with DELL Hot-Liners which can’t do anything (telling : it’a problem from Microsoft...Contact them, but DELL install OEM Microsoft Windows, so nobody want to help you !

Though I know that Pentium IV is a 64 bits processor and the « old » compiler BC is not optimized for it, I wonder about such bad performances with XP !
    I reinstalled some machines with Windows 98 2nd edition and results are much better (but not so fast as old Pentium III 500 Mhz machines ! ! So the problem comes essentially from Windows XP network protocol managment ...

I really don’t understand why Windows XP is so slow on networks access (Sometimes I think that Microsoft did especially times loops inside ! !)

By the way, it was very easy to add a command such as : SUBST G : C:\DATA in autoexec.bat file to simulate a server on a single machine : Now, on Windows XP machines, I can’t do the same automatically when Windows start (with a batch file in the « start directory » or in the autoexec.nt file)
    This command is accepted only in a CMD opened windows ! ! not in a batch file
    You can do the « same » result by connecting a G : to a \DATA (with networks tools of Windows XP...but time access is 100 times slower ! !

If anybody knows a tip to realize this SUBST command in WINDOWS XP launching, thanks to tell me !
    If you know how to optimize Windows XP for networks : PLEASE TELL ME

Pascal DAMICO - Email : [email protected]

------------------

[This message has been edited by DAMICO Pascal (edited September 17, 2002).]

I have run into similar problems when using TCP/IP for the
    network protocol. I would be willing to bet that if you install
    NETBEUI, the problem goes away. The problem is that it is hidden
    on the XP cdrom under "tools" directory or something. I have ran
    into this when using a XP server and win98 clients.
    If you are not able to locate the file, send me an email and I
    will locate the directory that contains the file.

Thanks,

------------------
    Gary Stout
    [email protected]
    Thanks,
    Gary Stout
    gary at sce4u dot com

Comment

I've noticed that NT-to-NT networking seems to be much slower than
      NT-to-Win9x and Win9x-to-Win9x networking (where "NT" stands for NT/Win2k/XP).
      I don't know why. The RTL8139 cards are low-end generics, though, and
      have been known to cause problems themselves.

------------------
      Tom Hanlin
      PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Hanlin:
        I've noticed that NT-to-NT networking seems to be much slower than
        NT-to-Win9x and Win9x-to-Win9x networking (where "NT" stands for NT/Win2k/XP).
        I don't know why. The RTL8139 cards are low-end generics, though, and
        have been known to cause problems themselves.

Thanks for you help : I just found the F301041 procedure to install NETBEUI Protocol on a Windows XP machine :
        To add a protocol on a network connection : Click on "Add" Protocol, then
        Then select CD-ROM Letter (with Windows XP inside) and select directory \Valueadd\msft\net\netbeui and click on file Netnbf.inf

May this post reply help others !
        Best regards - Take care

Pascal Damico

------------------

Comment

On the XP CD go to ValueAdd\Msft\Net\Netbeui.
          Copy nbf.sys to \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
          Copy netnbf.inf to WINDOWS\INF
          Click start, settings, control panel, network connections.
          Right click on the adaptor to add NetBEUI to.
          Click Properties
          On the General tab, click Install
          Click Protocol, click Add.
          Select NetBEUI from the list and click OK.

[This message has been edited by Mike Doty (edited September 17, 2002).]
          The world is full of apathy, but who cares?

Comment

Damico, please let us know if installing Netbeui fixed the "slow network" problem?

Thanks!

------------------
            Lance
            PowerBASIC Support
            mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
            Lance
            mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Of Course, I will tell you if network is faster with Netbeui protocol installed !

Thanks to Gary Stout, Tom Hanlin and Mike Doty to answer. Special thank to my friend Patrice TERRIER who gave me the idea to put my problem on your forum
              The last challenge is to solve the batch problem :
              How to install automatically a "SUBST G: C:\DATA" directly on a Windows XP Machine ?

On small networks (2 or 3 machines), One is the server but The time access is so faster with a SUBST command than a network connection, that's worth to be solved !!
              Have a good day/night !

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Edmonds:
                Damico, please let us know if installing Netbeui fixed the "slow network" problem?

Thanks!

I just come back home after a whole day of tests realized on my client network :
                Sorry, but the slow network problem is not solved thoug installin NETBEUI protocol on Windows XP Machine.

For experimented users, i want to make a summary of my last actions :

1) Verifying DELL POWEREDGE SERVER under Windows NT Server 4.0 (with Service Pack 3 installed)
                -->Check for the parameters of Protocol TCP/IP : Ok
                I put the IP Adress : 180.180.180.1 for this server and 180.180.180.x where x is a number different for each workstation
                The Network Mask is correct : 255.255.255.0 for each machine

I tried a local ping 127.0.0.1 on each machine : OK
                I tried a PING 180.180.180.x for each machine : OK no problem
                I tested Net commands as : ROUTE PRINT : Ok (all stations were found)
                as NETSTAT -a : All is wonderful !

Well, All WIndows 98 stations run fast and well
                The last Dell Dimension 4500S with Windows XP PRO is still not working :

On Network Favorites, I can see all stations and Server well
                But When I click on Server icon, I wait for about 2 minutes before having shared ressources of it... and so on for each directory of the \\server\data

The RealTeck Diagnostics are OK (I tried to force Media parameter to "100 Full Duplex Mode" --> No better

I reinstalled completly Windows XP on the machine with a format before
                It's still the same problem ! But as you know : It's not a problem for DELL Hot-Line, neither Microsoft !

What am I suppose to do ? I Fill Sad... Help !

Thanks for your Attention

------------------

Comment

What is the date of the network card driver?
                  I'm using RealTek RTL8139 using the driver
                  that was on the XP Pro CD. Curious if you
                  are using a driver from an older version.
                  My driver is dated 9/24/2001 version 5.397.924.2001
                  Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publ

I don't have the machine you do, but haven't had a problem
                  using Windows 98 SE and XP Pro using Gateway machines.
                  One machine is a 200 Mhz and the XP PRO machine is 500 Mhz.
                  Just switched back to using NetBeui, but didn't have any
                  problems with performance using TCP/IP either. Prefer using
                  NetBeui because all machines also connect to the net.

------------------
                  The world is full of apathy, but who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Doty:
                    What is the date of the network card driver?
                    I'm using RealTek RTL8139 using the driver
                    that was on the XP Pro CD. Curious if you
                    are using a driver from an older version.
                    My driver is dated 9/24/2001 version 5.397.924.2001
                    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publ
                    I tried the 2 drivers : The same as you and last one download on DELL website :
                    driver from GVC dated 8/09/2001 version 5.397.823.2001 with same Digital Signer

Did you hear about new patches to install on Windows NT 4.0 server for using with Windows XP machines ?

My friend Patrice Terrier told me to install Service Pack 1 for XP which be available in october for France.
                    With a 152 Mo Pack, sure that they corrected a lot of bugs...

------------------

Comment

Hi !
                      My problem is solved ! origin: Realtek driver has bugs with XP machines

You were right about problems of Realtek, Gary and Mike :

Just to inform you :
                      1) I got an old PCI lancard 3Com 3C-905 TX from 3 years old Machine and reinstall it onthe new DELL DIMENSION 4500S with Windows XP machine.
                      ==> Every thing works fine !!!

2) I reinstalled new Realtek lancard on the old machine (under Windows 98) and it works fine too !

So ==> All drivers from Microsoft, GVC, Realtek (even the last downladed on DELL web site) are not reliable with Windows XP machines

3) I tried to work with only NETBEUI protocol installed on Windows XP Machine : it doesn' work : You must have TCP/IP protocol installed on it
                      or Tell me how !

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by DAMICO Pascal:
                        The last challenge is to solve the batch problem :
                        How to install automatically a "SUBST G: C:\DATA" directly on a Windows XP Machine ?

On small networks (2 or 3 machines), One is the server but The time access is so faster with a SUBST command than a network connection, that's worth to be solved !!
                        Have a good day/night !

It works but think to add quotes for long directory names :

I made a 1.BAT batch file with only one line :

subst M: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\DATA"

and added this batch file in the Start Windows Group

NOW ,access to M: are 20 times faster on my "server" machine !

------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X