printing at all under pure Dos 6.22 ???

I´ve printer codes for the HP-PCL printer language so

rest ist possible.

Best Regards

Matthias Kuhn

------------------

If they run under USB, then most likely the answer is "no," as DOS
    does not support USB. Other than that, I cannot answer your question,
    as I am not familiar with those specific printers.

------------------
    Clay C. Clear

Comment

Matthias,
      Have you taken a look at Lance's DOSPRINT software?
      It may do what you are needing. He has a demo version that
      you can download and try at www.dosprint.com

Give that a try and see if it will work for you.

HTH,

------------------
      Gary Stout
      [email protected]
      Thanks,
      Gary Stout
      gary at sce4u dot com

Comment

Gary,

Lance's library will not work for him. While Lance's library
        is intended for use BY DOS programs, it still requires Windows to
        be able to run, as it is actually a Win32 app. Matthias was asking
        about being able to print with the printers under "plain DOS".

------------------
        Clay C. Clear

Comment

Clay .. and others,

Nobody has posted any reply whatsoever in the OS/2 Applications Usegroup
          on the crosspost I made there. I submitted the question as to whether
          DOS printing would work in OS/2's implementation of USB operations.
          Thought that it might pose no problem in that the complete cross-object
          translations are normally done by OS/2 even between WIN and so on.

I have seen notes that suggest the USB experience for other USB devices
          doesn't seem to matter for access for camera cards, plug-in PCMIA cards
          and so on for file writing even in DOS.

Zero answer yet...

I have a USB box I could test all this on, but no USB devices with which
          to play fun and games on, let alone a USB printer,.

------------------
          Mike Luther
          [email protected]
          Mike Luther
          [email protected]

Comment

Mike,

Sorry for not replying, but I simply have no answer that I *can*
            give, as I know absolutely NOTHING about OS/2. Sorry.

------------------
            Clay C. Clear

Comment

Hi everybody,

sorry for asking You and thanks for answere.

I´ve found the solution myself onto the HP.com sides.

Basical Printing - using PCL3 Printer language - is possible

under Dos6.22, Dosmode of Win 95 98 ... I think it is also on OS2.

Both printer are of course with Parallel Port and USB !!!

Best regards

Matthias Kuhn

------------------

Comment

Matt!

Please post the applicable pointers to that information for me. I need
                to dig into that and also post it into the OS/2 usegroups for more
                learning there. It is obvious that USB has to be a support route for
                any of this into the future, at least to me.

Eweek's October 21, 2002, issue on page 12 covers the fact that Intel is
                conceding 64-bit desktops to IBM and AMD. That specifically focuses out
                the IBM 64 bit CPU, both as Apple direct and what may yet pop into focus
                for IBM users in the desktop world of Z and it's emulative object capability
                as we already see totally in OS/2. Infoworld's October 21, 2002, issue on
                page 56 covers the Microsoft XP license agreement clause which automatically
                grants MS, the right to "download onto your computer such security updates
                that a secure content owner has requested", even though those updates, "may
                affect your ability to copy, dispaly, and/or play Secured Content through
                Microsoft software or third party applications."

As the issue over right to access all medical information and what I think
                we will find to be limitation of push technology comes to focus in the
                HIPAA and its workout, it may become far more important than many people
                think to have access still to the very much alive OS/2 and MAC game. That
                in regard to the obviously very much alive DOS access that either does
                exist there or will exist there in 64 bit operations as well.

Information like you are pointing us toward for USB may very well be the only
                way to use any of the PowerBASIC products at all in medicine once M/S drops
                support and fixes for problems in any but WIN XP as of what I think is to be
                the end of this year. A totally server based client operating system that
                has to be related to Empire Central in order to even operate and continue bed
                side and other critical services, in my humble opinion, simply will not be allowed
                into existence where a person can die just because this or that did or didn't get
                into it routinely from afar.

There's far too much at stake I betcha, in lots of other PB 3.5 code out there
                for dedicated systems, to not research things like you point us toward..

Thanks

------------------
                Mike Luther
                [email protected]
                Mike Luther
                [email protected]

Comment

Hi Mike,
                  I have been following the thread here and was just curious if
                  OS/2 was still alive and did it advance any further than version
                  Warp 4.0? I always like it, but it as well as Linux didn't have
                  a good bridge to be able to use Windows programs. You can reply
                  to me directly if you would like since this isn't really PB related.
                  You might also pass along the OS/2 newsgroup address.

Thanks,

------------------
                  Gary Stout
                  [email protected]
                  Thanks,
                  Gary Stout
                  gary at sce4u dot com

Comment

Gary ..

I have been following the thread here and was just curious if
                    OS/2 was still alive and did it advance any further than version
                    Warp 4.0? I always like it, but it as well as Linux didn't have
                    a good bridge to be able to use Windows programs. You can reply
                    to me directly if you would like since this isn't really PB related.
                    You might also pass along the OS/2 newsgroup address.
                    It just may turn out that it is far more related to PB than most
                    may want to admit for a while.

If all ability to run PB 3.5 in any fully operational way that it now
                    runs for printing, upper memory, operational stability, is gone because
                    nothing is left supported, operational, or serviced except WIN-XP, soon,
                    then there are only a very few, but *VERY* good and *STABLE* choices
                    on which to base some very important work upon PB 3.5. That work may
                    simply not be moved to the WIN world for any number of technical and
                    very good legal reasons.

The remaining choices may only be such things as IBM's PC-DOS V7,
                    which is Y2K certified, Caldera DOS, etc. That and .. of all things,
                    the DOS-VDM's in IBM's OS/2. That is, in my humble opinion, a VERY
                    sobering thought and others are welcome to their own views.

So that we may be very clear on what that means in relation to PB and
                    OS/2 and DOS-VDM's as of this date and how important that may be to PB
                    in the future, we need to summarize the facts. IBM's OS/2 is solidly
                    available as what is currently Version 4.52 at this time, either through
                    Software Choice at IBM or sold by dozens of other places. The current
                    version is a complete CD-ROM bootable and installable operation, with
                    full support, as far as I know, for all the huge IDE, SCSI drives and
                    most MB's that seem to pop up these days, including USB.

The entire IBM T23 or T30 Laptop series, IBM M41 and M42 Desktop series,
                    M220-225 and M230-235 Server series, including ServRaid 5: are fully
                    available on OS/2, if you like. A huge number of other hardware choices
                    are also compatitble with the system. IBM will be quite happy to work
                    with anyone wanting this pathway. That includes interface and help all
                    the way through the S390 main frame game as well has help for getting your
                    data stored and permanently guaranteed to be available for the next 25
                    years or so on demand with the big tape farm IBM game. You know, the IBM
                    sites about a third bigger than a football field filled with rack after
                    relay rack of 8214 archive tape drives and so on.

A second alternative to the regular IBM route to working with it is via
                    a third-party interface and packager for IBM OS/2, Version 4.52, a group
                    known as eCs, short for EcomStation. The eCs group has a different
                    installer and different approach to getting the system together than the
                    IBM way of doing things, but both they and IBM's game is now solidly based on
                    CD-ROM installation. The eCs experience includes a competely bootable
                    CD-ROM that can deliver a full operational system complete with a trove
                    of sampler utilities just like throwing in a bootable floppy of old. That
                    treasure trove of goodies includes Lotus Smart Suite for OS/2, as well as
                    the RSJ CD-ROM burner tools for OS/2 and many other of the serious tools
                    which are needed by the greater part of users to may serious use of their
                    investment. For the inquisitors here, the Lotus Smart Suite game will
                    release in version 1.7 shortly for OS/2, to bring it into interface ability
                    with M/S office stuff. I use mine all the time for accessing WIN stuff that
                    is sent to me over the Net...

The Version 4.51/4.52 current. very much alive and well version of OS/2
                    represents IBM's very proper maintenance cost cutting job to merge the
                    old Version 3 Server kernel and the Warp 4 kernel into one kernel which
                    supports all the operations, including the full Symetric Multi-Processing
                    game on at least a fair number of such MB's. That's important to the PB
                    issue on these boxes for two basic reasons. The entire PB 3.5 experience
                    will this go back all the way to even Pentium 100's and even, as I have
                    here in one box ... even old Adaptec 1542 SCSI ISA cards, for example.
                    That while all the way into the very future of today! And, in the case
                    of the stuff of the future, the 4.52 kernel is fully THREAD oriented
                    PRE-EMPTIVE multi-processing. It is able to orchestrate not only a PB
                    operation as others may know it, by process and CPU, but by threads.

Support for the entire 4.52 operation is guaranteed at this point, out
                    to December 31, 2004, as I know it. However, the viability of the whole
                    system has been extended so many times, one way or another, on beyond
                    those kind of dates, it is almost humerous. As well, it has been noted
                    that EOSL for creating a new Convenience Pack, does *NOT* mean that the
                    continued work on device driver interfaces and so on needed isn't going
                    to be there. Case in point. Warp 3.0 Connect is still a completely
                    viable platform today for PowerBASIC in a DOS-VDM, thoroughly Y2K tested
                    and compliant .. even after 34 official fixpacks!

The current Fixpack level for the Aurora (Server side) and Modular (Peer
                    and Client side) Convenience packs is now XR_C003 which was just released
                    October 23, 2002, with file dates of October 21, 2002, as well. As well,
                    Fixpack XR_F001 has been issued for A/MCP2 which cures and stabilizes the
                    entire system for memory use beyond 512MB of main memory. I think the
                    disk drive limit on it now is perhaps what, 64 Terrabytes? Slightly more
                    than PB 3.5 for DOS can handle, at least.

Of course, chuckle, IBM doesn't market any of this in stores, any more than
                    they have for a long time! They have made great strides in making the
                    installation and auto-configuration of the system to all the various kinds
                    of hardware and device drives FAR better than it used to be. But it is still
                    no match for the ease in which the WIN world can gobble up the latest and
                    greatest trinkets off the shelf! I stress; it is still *NOT* for any of the
                    faint of heart nor normal home computer capable person sorta not half familiar
                    with networking - the whole 9 yards. Nor will IBM or eCs help you for free
                    with it either. You'll spend a lot of time working with the usegroups to get
                    along in this world. It is *NOT* a small home game; never was, in my view.

One way or another, it will cost you a couple hundred USA bucks to guarantee
                    that you will have a full solid op system platform on which to base a PB 3.5
                    project until far past 2004, if the system is working with standard tech
                    specs for DOS at this point in time, as I see it.

Now for thousands of boxes, embedded or otherwise, these costs can come down
                    a fair amount I suppose. I know that here at Texas A&M University, on the
                    other side of the coin, M/S is selling XP to students and staff for FIVE
                    dollars each ($5) now! IBM is known to compete. A true provable student
                    discount could, and may still get you the entire IBM brand new Visual Age
                    C++ compiler set for OS/2, WIN and AIX for about $16 plus shipping into the
                    USA. PowerBASIC will not likely match that but the product, to me is far
                    easier to work with and worth the money asked for it.

As well, the Connectix crew, through license with Innotek can totally enable
                    a complete WIN-XP, or any flavor of WIN, or ALL of them on the SAME box at the
                    SAME time, as totally secure OBJECTS under OS/2 4.52! You may also go the
                    other way around and play this game from WIN-NT, or WIN XP and so on as well!
                    That ALSO includes the ability to run Red Hat 7.3 Linux as a GUEST under at
                    least OS/2 4.52, and I think, under the WIN world as well! Absolutely no
                    dual boot whatever. The entire GUEST experience is nothing other than a
                    secured ICON on the desktop that is totally run in protective threaded CPU and
                    memory space, at least in the OS/2 side of things.

I hae no idea about the reverse from WIN. I don't run WIN here.

That would make a major development project like PowerBASIC faces in moving
                    the PowerBASIC toolset to LINUX an awfully easy thing to do ... grin ...
                    under OS/2, of all things! You get all three platforms on every box and
                    everything can see the hard disk protected from this and that as well!

This is *NOT* an advocacy post in any manner. If you want to research any of
                    this you can log on to:

From IBM:

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/warp/
                    http://ps.software.ibm.com/pbin-usa-...a/softupd.html
                    http://ps.software.ibm.com/pbin-usa-...rservices.html
                    http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/warp/support/
                    http://service.boulder.ibm.com/asd-b...en_us/home.htm
                    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/?loc=tbocat

After which you can do a GOOGLE search for Software Choice and whittle
                    down the cost some what as opposed to direct from IBM, I think. One note!
                    The IBM Developer Works Professional subscription will get you so darn
                    many CD-ROM's in a year's time you will likely DROWN in them! That will
                    include a complete OS/2 full professional server license, about a $1200
                    value, as well as the same thing for everything for WIN to LINUX to AIX
                    and Domino and almost EVERYTHING you could dream of for tool kits, as
                    well as, of course a new copy of Warp 4.0 ... for about #350 US or so.

Highly rewarding.

After you swallow all this and begin to think about how PowerBASIC 3.5 for
                    DOS can survive for the next ten years or so profitably and well for you,
                    you might continue your search at the following to crystallize things:

Try EcomStation at:
                    http://www.ecomstation.com/

Many would be dumbfounded at what they will see there.

Then to pin-point your decision as to how to cross platform develop on
                    all the things for the future, I suggest you visit:

http://www.connectix.com/index_win.html

then ..

http://www.finnsoft.com/html/virtualpc.htm

I suggest you pay PARTICULAR attention to the ability to run LINUX
                    Red Hat 7.3 under this game. It may be the most important card in your
                    hand of all of them for life in the fast lane of 5 years from now.

Please ... now go surfing. And do not shoot the mule! From Colleridge's
                    Ancient Mariner:

"I pass like night from land to land and have strange powers of speech.
                    .... to him my tale I teach!"

and .. last but not least ..

"A sadder but a wiser man he woke the morrow morn."

Now I do not necessarily like IBM any more than certain folks at PB, ya'll.
                    But I darned well respect them, as well as the folks at PowerBasic. Perhaps
                    some of you will now see why I say I really smyptathize with them for what
                    they face in the future as well.

All I want to do is maintain my work and viability for the next 5-10 years
                    into the future, at the same time I also optimize my chances for moving into
                    it on what ever terms it deals me. And I want to be able to understand
                    and act on "Gee" and "Haw" as well. chuckle.

------------------
                    Mike Luther
                    [email protected]
                    Mike Luther
                    [email protected]

Comment

On 26 Oct 02, in article "Re: Printing under Dos", Matthias Kuhn wrote:

Hello Matthias,

> I've found the solution myself onto the HP.com sides.
                      > Basical Printing - using PCL3 Printer language - is possible
                      > under Dos6.22, Dosmode of Win 95 98 ... I think it is also on OS2.
                      >
                      > Both printer are of course with Parallel Port and USB !!!

Do you have vhm-pqb2.zip, hp500txt.zip and hp-fonts.bas (some examples
                      for HP printers)?

Regards,

--------------
                      / h o m a s
                      ------------------
                      email : [email protected] / mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A> (PGP-Key available)
                      www : www.gohel.de / http://pbsound.basicguru.com (PowerBASIC)
                      fax/bbs: +49-30-47300910 (VFC, V34+, X75, ISDN, CCB, 9600-128000bps)
                      ## CrossPoint [XP2] v3.31.003 Beta DOS/16 R/C2478, via PBNEWS v0.12g

------------------
                      http://www.gohel.de
                      http://www.gohel.de - http://www.gohel.net - http://www.pbhq.com

Comment

Hi Thomas,

I´ve searched Your examples on Your Web-Side - but without success.

Where can I get it ?

Best Regards

Matthias Kuhn ([email protected]ine.de)

------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X